RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone else deciding between highlander hybrid or RX350/450H?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Getty
Now excuse use me while I go try to convince some dude an LS isn’t much different than an Avalon, instead of saying “go drive them and tell me they’re different” (which we know WOULD show the difference immediately... and while I realize there's a far greater difference in these two vehicles... what if the LS had a 6 instead of an 8, and NEW... it was only $8K more than an Avalon with FAR fewer luxuries? I'd be the first to back you up and say, "yeah man... drive them both, if you can swing it you want to spend this money"... I don't know... maybe it's just me. I find the Highlander insulting at a price that close to the RX... I feel cheated buying it.)
The flaw in this argument is that the LS doesn't share anything with the Avalon, they're completely different vehicles. The RX shares the platform, powertrain, and many suspension components with the Highlander. A better comparison would be the ES compared to the Avalon, and you know what? They drive very similarly. Which makes sense because they are largely the same car...as the Highlander and RX are.

The point is, your perceptions have a lot of impact. You don't like the Highlander and you never did, you DO like the RX. You perceive the RX as being really different because your attitude about it is different, you focus on its positives while ignoring its flaws, and with your Highlander its the opposite. You focus on its flaws and ignore its positives. Theres nothing wrong with that, people like different things...the Highlander is a bland family car and the RX is snazzier especially an F Sport... the issue is when you give people advice like that as fact when its not fact its perception . To somebody who has no greater opinion of one over the other, the differences you mention aren't there. You keep saying "just drive both" when I and others have yet you say we're lying and "not your pal". Well, if you suggest people drive them you have to be prepared for people to come to different conclusions. If I closed my eyes I would have a hard time determining which one I was in, RX or Highlander. Obviously the RX is nicer inside and built to a higher standard, its a little quieter but largely its the same feel. Who hasn't encouraged a test drive?

Same engine, same transmission, identical power figures, identical 0-60 times. One is not a rocket and the other is a dog....thats just not logical. The RX is quite possibly tuned in the transmission to provide better throttle input...that would make sense. The difference though isn't huge in my experience.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-14-19 at 07:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
JDR76 (04-14-19), ravenuer (04-15-19)
Old 04-14-19, 07:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Again, I’ve owned both. I regularly drive both. It should come as no surprise that most people find these two vehicles, on a shared platform, with the same engines, with the same transmissions, with the same horsepower outputs, and with similar tested acceleration times, accelerate pretty much the same.

In driving (suspension), the RX has a better ride, and is quieter. I especially like the adaptive suspension on the RX F Sport. But power and acceleration are the same.

I don’t discount your experience, so please don’t disregard mine. There very clearly must be something wrong with your Highlander.
Old 04-14-19, 07:40 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Meh... maybe I’m being argumentative. My apologies.

My experience driving the Highlander is an almost constant need to push the pedal ever further, while the RX has me letting UP on the gas.

Whatever... I still say “drive both before you buy one”.

*shrug*

EDIT: I don't know where else to share these clips, but as I said previously (and was proven) even if you make a video clip... people can interpret it as they choose. Still... I came across this guy today (as well as a Highlander vid where they smash it for 0-60 and get nearly 10 seconds)... but anyway... look at these two clips. This guy was flown to CA (and IMO sounds like he has reason for a vanilla critique)... go to 19:30 in this video... he wants to show the power that the new Rav4 has (I also drove this, and was bummed)... but anyway, dude is using a Sony 3000 suction-cupped to the sunroof... so... 19:30... watch the acceleration, and his comments, that's a punchy 7.4:

Watch the road-sign as he accelerates... anyhoo... okay... same cam, same guy, same mounting... and here's the RX... this is a generic 7.4... click to 15:00:

So... if those two are about the same experience? I don't know... I'm seeing something else I guess. What do you see? "It's a different road"... *shrug*... but even so, that's about the same acceleration? (I guess I'm struggling with "claimed" numbers in lieu of what I'm seeing and personally experiencing.)

Oh, and here's a Highlander, same road same launch, same guy... okay... again, go to 18:50 to hear him say what I've been saying about the throttle response... then a launch (compare to the RX)... and this is a surprisingly capable... you guessed it... 7.4:

So there you go... as you can clearly see, they all accelerate about the same... (?)

Last edited by Getty; 04-15-19 at 03:09 PM.