RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Daytime running light issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 04:30 PM
Mina74
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Daytime running light issues

My car's daytime running lights are not coming on when the selector is set on Auto (it's not disabled under Vehicle Customization either) yet the car's headlights are coming on during the daytime. The headlights stay on even though it's on auto during the day. Sometimes if I turn car on and off several times, the headlights will turn off during the day but the running lights don't come on at all. They do turn on at night at the same time as the headlights. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 11-13-20, 08:48 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Check to see that the light sensor on the dash next to windshield is not covered or dirty. It’s the little dome on the middle of the dash close to windshield. Look under “Headlight control sensor” in the manual.
Old 11-14-20, 11:45 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

When the Parking Brake is engaged at vehicle start up the Daytime Running Lights stay off.
Releasing the PB in the daytime should illuminate the DRL's.
If the Auto Parking Brake is enabled it will release the PB and light the DRL's when you pull out of Park.
If you do not use the Auto PB then the DRL's should come on upon start up.

When the car is running in the daytime and you put it in Park, the Auto PB engages...the DRL's stay on!
(What if you encountered an emergency "no brakes" at night...wouldn't want the PB to kill the lights, right?
Old 11-16-20, 06:45 PM
Mina74
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I've already checked that and it was clean but I went ahead and cleaned it.
Old 11-16-20, 06:58 PM
Mina74
Driver School Candidate

I have not taken my car off Auto Parking Brake since I bought it. The problem is that the DRL aren't coming on at all most times but the main headlights come on while it's daylight. I can tell the main head lights are on because I see the little green icon on my dashboard indicating they are on. I have also stopped the car, put in Park, and gone around the front and the main headlights are on during the daytime. Many times the headlights are on during the daylight but the DRLs are not on. The main headlights should not be on when my lights setting is on Auto. They should only come on when it's getting dark.

I took it to the dealer several weeks ago when this, along with other electrical issues, were happening. They did a diagnostic and nothing showed up. A second diagnotic showed that the battery failed so I had a new battery installed. They told me this would resolve all the SUV's weird electrical issues. Nonetheless, it hasn't resolved them all.
Old 11-17-20, 07:29 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Touch "Menu" on the center console and then select "Setup" on screen
Open "Vehicle" and then "Customization". Go to "Lights" and check that
this setting is at the default middle of five (5) positions. If it has been
moved to the maximum setting it may be why your lights are on even in
bright daylight.

Confirming that nothing is covering (or has damaged) the dime sized dark
dome light sensor on the upper dash by the defroster vents?