RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 01:18 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
If there is a TSB and under warranty, it should not cost anything to the dealer...
I don't understand those that won't change the part...
The dealer doesn't get the full cost of the repairs, they have to wear some of them.
Old 10-15-19, 03:29 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The dealer doesn't get the full cost of the repairs, they have to wear some of them.
Correct. They get the "wholesale" cost, not the "book". But most dealers have learned to beat the book and do quite well anyway.
Old 10-15-19, 03:33 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

We, the customer, shouldn't have to worry about that. The service experience is so poor that I'm unlikely to buy another Lexus again. Lexus and the dealerships can go back-and-forth all they want, but ultimately they will lose customers.

Recently I was at Ford, and even their service experience far exceeded Lexus.
Old 10-15-19, 03:40 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
We, the customer, shouldn't have to worry about that. The service experience is so poor that I'm unlikely to buy another Lexus again. Lexus and the dealerships can go back-and-forth all they want, but ultimately they will lose customers.
Recently I was at Ford, and even their service experience far exceeded Lexus.
While I have never had any problems with my Lexus, the few times I've brought it in for routine service, they couldn't have been better. I guess YMMV.
Old 10-16-19, 05:19 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My Lexus dealer always offered first class service! They even won appraisals for it.

I also have a Toyota, and it is night and day between the two!
Old 01-08-20, 08:44 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I know this thread is dealing with the suspension noise TSB but there's also mention of a hesitation/lag when taking off. I can't seem to find the TSB # for it.

Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction if there's a thread on this or what the TSB # is?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9766895

Last edited by NFaridi; 01-08-20 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 10:50 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by g1itchgsr
My dealer changed out below rear trailing arm assemblies and did an alignment.

48760-0E070
48780-0E080

I was told they’ve seen this issue / noise before on other vehicles.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10620897
TSB

Last edited by ericsan13; 02-21-20 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SFFD785 (03-02-20)
Old 05-27-20, 08:19 AM
mikem0025
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other issues?

So I got my used 2016 RX 9 months ago. I heard the squeaking and I sent it to the dealer. The first time they lubricated it and said the issue was gone. One second after the left the dealer I was right back because I heard the squeaking...not sure what test drive they went on. Anyways I'll mention this issue and let's hope it a permanent fix!

Also, I had to replace my vacuum pump. This is a Lexus so why does it have so much issues?? Are there other issues that I have to be aware of? My first Lexus has disappointed me so far.....
Old 05-28-20, 01:08 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikem0025
So I got my used 2016 RX 9 months ago. I heard the squeaking and I sent it to the dealer. The first time they lubricated it and said the issue was gone. One second after the left the dealer I was right back because I heard the squeaking...not sure what test drive they went on. Anyways I'll mention this issue and let's hope it a permanent fix!

Also, I had to replace my vacuum pump. This is a Lexus so why does it have so much issues?? Are there other issues that I have to be aware of? My first Lexus has disappointed me so far.....
Made in Canada???
The vacuum pump? Was that because of a knocking noise? There is a TSB to replace this on cars with a loud knocking noise, it's a bad design not actually a faulty part. It's just the oil banging around while the engine is cold.
Old 05-28-20, 06:06 AM
mikem0025
Driver School Candidate

Made in Canada???
The vacuum pump? Was that because of a knocking noise? There is a TSB to replace this on cars with a loud knocking noise, it's a bad design not actually a faulty part. It's just the oil banging around while the engine is cold.
yes made in Canada. And yes there was a knocking noise upon start up. I just want to know if there are other issues with the RX that I should be aware of since my basic warranty is basically over
Old 05-28-20, 06:22 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

yes made in Canada. And yes there was a knocking noise upon start up. I just want to know if there are other issues with the RX that I should be aware of since my basic warranty is basically over
Noisy A/C
Noisy rear suspension
Hesitation when going from low speed (changes to a higher gear too soon than needs to change back down)
Vibration through console/seats/pedals

Apparently not all cars exhibit all the issues and some are worse than others.

I'm in Australia we only have Jap built cars and ours don't have these issues generally.
Old 05-28-20, 06:28 AM
mikem0025
Driver School Candidate

Noisy A/C
Noisy rear suspension
Hesitation when going from low speed (changes to a higher gear too soon than needs to change back down)
Vibration through console/seats/pedals

Apparently not all cars exhibit all the issues and some are worse than others.

I'm in Australia we only have Jap built cars and ours don't have these issues generally.
Oh wow my friends and the internet claimed that Canada has the same quality control as Japan. As to the noisy AC are you referring to a boiling noise? I heard that too. Is that an issue I should address?

And with the vibrations I figured that would be related to the old vacuum pump since it only does that when it’s cold. I drove other 2016-2019 Rx’s and even my 2020 loaner now and it still does the same thing so I figured it is part of the design and the 8-speed trans, right?
Old 05-29-20, 03:52 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You bought a first-year product and things aren't always perfect when things are freshly engineered and released. The squeak is an easy fix per the TSB outlined in this thread.

You're disappointed over two minor fixes on 4-year-old car??? Squeaks and replacement vacuum pump are not major issues nor did they prevent you from driving your car - So I would say reliability is still not an issue. Trust me, if you've ever owned a german competitor, you wouldn't even bat a lash to what your experiencing.

I also bought my car second hand and it's an early 16' from Canada. I've owned it roughly the same amount of time you've owned yours. As with your car, I had the squeak from the rear end and had the TSB performed and have not had an issue since. In addition, during this time I had the gurgling AC which is also a TSB which was resolved within the same trip. Other than that, the car has been flawless and rattle or squeak free. TBH, if I worry about anything on this car, it's the transmission and it's "lifetime" fluid. I keep my cars roughly 10yrs and would hate to see the cost of a new trans at the 150k range.

Old 07-14-20, 12:39 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SFFD785
You bought a first-year product and things aren't always perfect when things are freshly engineered and released. The squeak is an easy fix per the TSB outlined in this thread.

You're disappointed over two minor fixes on 4-year-old car??? Squeaks and replacement vacuum pump are not major issues nor did they prevent you from driving your car - So I would say reliability is still not an issue. Trust me, if you've ever owned a german competitor, you wouldn't even bat a lash to what your experiencing.

I also bought my car second hand and it's an early 16' from Canada. I've owned it roughly the same amount of time you've owned yours. As with your car, I had the squeak from the rear end and had the TSB performed and have not had an issue since. In addition, during this time I had the gurgling AC which is also a TSB which was resolved within the same trip. Other than that, the car has been flawless and rattle or squeak free. TBH, if I worry about anything on this car, it's the transmission and it's "lifetime" fluid. I keep my cars roughly 10yrs and would hate to see the cost of a new trans at the 150k range.
I guess for me personally if they are willing to fix it under warranty, I wouldn't complain. The problem is the three dealerships I went to just keep claiming everything is normal and thus nothing would be fixed. The rear squeaking was so bad that they can't just claim they can't hear it, so they keep lubing it........I am pretty sure they would have a "fix"(TSB) after the warranty expires and will gladly charge you $$$ to fix it
Old 07-14-20, 01:08 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I would suggest you keep pushing them to replace the rear trailing arms, otherwise it will annoy you to no end.

Mine had the same problem. It would squeak going through potholes, speed bumps and literally anything on the road that wasn't perfectly level. Take lots of videos and see if you can get a service manager to drive the vehicle rather than the technicians.

It was fixed after the rear trailing arms were replaced so there is a fix out there, you just have to push for it. As much as I understand there's a certain level of tolerance you should give to the first model year of a redesign, it's also completely unacceptable that customers have to press water out of a rock to get the dealer to fix something under warranty.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noise