RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 07:44 PM
delgado422
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-sport Rear trunk area squeak

I keep having this issue with my 16' rx f sport.
when ever i go over a speed bump at any speed. Or a small pothole. Or even when the rear end dips from a driveway. I here a squeak as if something rubbing, coming from the rear passenger side wheel area.
ive taken everything out the trunk, looked at spare tire (all secure) and put the seats up and down.
I bought the car may 2016
and only began to notice it when the weather got cold
around november.

i did notice when snow is on the ground i barely hear anything.

It is driving me crazy!
Any solutions?

everything else is flawless on the car

Last edited by delgado422; 12-31-16 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
16RX450hF (07-02-18)
Old 12-31-16, 09:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I had an occasional squeak/tap from the rear door in my prior RX which was mainly fixed with an adjustment done to the latch/door (Dealer).This as well as trim panels at the rear are the areas I'd focus on. If possible, have someone drive while you're listening carefully and applying pressure on panel parts and rear door. If everything is tight, it could be suspension related.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-18, 08:32 AM
16RX450hF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if you had any luck finding a solution to this problem? I am having the exact same issue! I've had it into my local dealer multiple times now. I have a 2016 RX 450h F Sport. Love the car, but you are right in the winter months especially the noise drives me nuts!
Old 07-02-18, 04:01 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by 16RX450hF
Just curious if you had any luck finding a solution to this problem? I am having the exact same issue! I've had it into my local dealer multiple times now. I have a 2016 RX 450h F Sport. Love the car, but you are right in the winter months especially the noise drives me nuts!
Have you tried any of the suggestions by corradoMR2? Seems like that might at least narrow it down.
Old 07-03-18, 02:31 PM
abgs350
Driver School Candidate

Delgado--- we just bought a pre-owned 2017 RX450H f-sport. A few days after buying it I noticed a squeak/creaking noise coming from the trunk area of the car--- only after going over a speedbump. The noise was coming when the body of the car was coming back up. Brought it to my local dealer and had the tech hear the noise over speed bumps. They determined that it was the rear trailing arm bushing which they lubcricated. The noise went away... and hasn't returned in a month.

but for those that know more about cars than I do.. is this something to be concerned of? None of the Lexus vehicles we've owned had this problem so early on. I do hope this was not just a temporary fix.

I do have a couple other issues which I will post.. hoping to get some help here! thanks!
Old 07-03-18, 02:58 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I also had a squeaking sound from that area. They lubricated my bushings and the noise has gone away since then.
Old 07-04-18, 02:26 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I had that squeak as well. It happened most in sport+ mode when I went over bumps etc.

They replaced the whole strut area.
Old 07-12-18, 09:29 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Got the same problem here in Aus. Mine occurs when the rear hatch opens as well and is mainly heard from the rear D pillar and roof. Still ongoing and extremely annoying.
Old 07-13-18, 10:30 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I have the same problem. They lubed the trailing arm bushing and it came back after 6 months. Then they replaced it. It has not returned, yet. I am concerned that it will come back after the warranty expires and I have to pay to fix a design flaw....
Old 07-19-18, 08:34 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My squeaks was coming from the tailgate. I thought it was a loose spoiler; took it into the dealer and all they did was clean up the tailgate seal all around and majority of the speaks went away.

Would hear squeaks going over bumps before taking to the dealer.
Old 10-29-18, 11:51 AM
James87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by delgado422
I keep having this issue with my 16' rx f sport.
when ever i go over a speed bump at any speed. Or a small pothole. Or even when the rear end dips from a driveway. I here a squeak as if something rubbing, coming from the rear passenger side wheel area.
ive taken everything out the trunk, looked at spare tire (all secure) and put the seats up and down.
I bought the car may 2016
and only began to notice it when the weather got cold
around november.

i did notice when snow is on the ground i barely hear anything.

It is driving me crazy!
Any solutions?

everything else is flawless on the car
Exactly the same issue. The dealer found out some leaking oil on the shock and replaced them but the noise is still there. There are three bumps just added on the road in front of my apt... imagine how it is disturbing me everyday. LOL
Old 10-29-18, 12:35 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I had one... thought that it was from behind.
Two technicians on the first two visits could not find the problem.
The third technician found that the problem came from the sun roof railing. He hit on the ceiling to verify that it would rattle at the impact. Had it changed and the squeak sound is gone!
The technician had seen the same problem from another vehicle a couple of weeks before and knew right away. That was last year.
The funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago, someone with a similar problem showed up at my dealer and I got a call from the service manager. He wanted to know if the solution done on my RX had fixed the problem. I told him that it worked perfectly! He wanted to know before spending on the part for nothing...
Old 10-29-18, 12:55 PM
James87
Driver School Candidate

So you are their unique issue consultant now
Seems like I gonna let the technicians know about the solution. Hopefully, they can fix it out with your method as well.
Thanks a lot!
Old 10-29-18, 12:58 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by James87
So you are their unique issue consultant now
Seems like I gonna let the technicians know about the solution. Hopefully, they can fix it out with your method as well.
Thanks a lot!
Well I guess he checked his database for similar issues and called me up!
Old 10-29-18, 02:31 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Well I guess he checked his database for similar issues and called me up!
So how much are you going to charge them? (!)

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noise