RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Sport vs Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 07:09 AM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no perceivable difference between Sport and Sport+.
Old 03-31-18, 12:12 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

There is for me. Sport just has the touchy gas pedal. Sport+ you can feel more of the bumps and hug the roads better
The following users liked this post:
tomtom74 (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18, 05:49 PM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, Sport has a more sensitive throttle input plus changes to transmission change logic, however the difference in damping ratio between Sport and Sport+ is imperceptible. I'm convinced steering is the same. Perhaps if you take it to the track you might notice the difference... not something I'm willing to do. I'm referring to an overseas version here, so ours might be a selection to nothingness whereas yours might actually work.
Old 04-01-18, 01:05 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedroski
I notice a difference - steering feels more weighter and ride firmer, turns in a little better, feels more secure on the road. There's not a major change but I can feel the sporter nature.
aznkorboi (04-01-18)
Old 04-02-18, 10:56 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Sport+ is much better than I thought it would be. I don't spend much time in it, but I use it on almost every ride. I find I rarely go into sport mode and go directly into sport+, therefore I would like to know:
When and why do f-sport drivers use sport mode?
Are there any differences between sport and sport+, other than firming up the suspension?
Should Lexus have only use 3 modes by just adding a + to sport?
Is the steering wheel firmer in sport+ than sport?
It could be that some folks like to drive in sport mode but don't want the firmer suspension, I never thought about that until just now.
I am asking solely out of curiosity, no other reason, all comments are welcome.
Sport mode is a blessing for me in the 4RX (coming from a 2010 3RX). I use it whenever I need quick acceleration (having the need to cross multiple lanes in fairly short distance on a busy high speed express way from the far right to make a left turn). The 4RX turns into a 1000 lb lighter vehicle as the RPM can be increased quickly. I like the fact that the FSport has S and S+ mode as separate modes (explained by others already). Whenever I get nervous, due to driving at high speed close to impenetrable barriers or going thru super sharp turns, I switch to S+ and the steering feels more precise (probably with help from the suspension). If only quick acceleration is needed, the S mode is more comfy to switch to. The instrument display in the FSport is also more fun to have switching to these S modes.
Old 04-02-18, 02:33 PM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sport should be "normal". Eco is ok. Normal makes the transmission too indecisive.
ravenuer (04-02-18)
Old 04-12-18, 09:05 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedroski
I've been thinking about this post for the past couple of weeks and here are my conclusions, whether you want them or not, LOL.
1. Throttle feels the same
2. I could not tell the difference in the suspension unless I was going over speedbumps, pot holes, etc.
3.The steering is firmer, tighter and it's very easy to feel the difference.
4. Most importantly, and worth the price of admission, the above average roll of the RX when in a turn is reduced by 50% or so. I live in an area where there are many 40 to 50 mph sweeping turns and the difference while entering, during and exiting the turn is significant. I asked my wife if she could feel the difference as I alternated turns using sport then sport+ and she just said wow.
If you live in an area where turns are few, such as the south of Florida, the difference would be less noticeable.