RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Windshield replaced - does it look right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 05:29 PM
AndyT1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replaced - does it look right?

I just had my windshield replaced on my 2010 RX350. I noticed a whistling sound, probably from wind, when going above 40 mph. I also forgot to take photos before, but have the photo after replacement. Does it look correct that the gaps between windshield and frame aren't covered?
Also, the glass has DOT 563, which is SHENZHEN AUTOMOTIVE GLASS MANUFACTURING. Any feedback on that? My previous replacement was DOT 15 - Libbey-Owens-Ford CO.
I

Last edited by AndyT1; 07-17-19 at 05:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-17-19, 08:55 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just took a look at ours, gaps look the same. Pilkington DOT 15, and original. The whistling, however, would certainly concern me!
Old 07-18-19, 04:31 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

It happened to me.
The whistling at speed is from a gap in the sealant.
It just needs to be re-installed.

You may be able to feel the wind with your hand to isolate the spot.
(with someone else driving)
Or have someone go around the seam with a leaf blower while you feel inside.

Actually you don't have to do anything except call the installer and tell them you hear wind. This ain't their first rodeo.

Last edited by Raoul; 07-18-19 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Leaf blowers disturb the neighbors
Old 07-19-19, 02:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't think the windshield can be "reinstalled". A brand new install will be needed by taking out the current one

Way back in 2002 or so we had a 2000 LX470 in an area where the LX or the LC were very rare. We got our windshield initially installed by a rural town mom and pop shop and we insisted on original Lexus windshield and they did that. But it leaked water and had wind noise. Took it back and they said they don't want to try again and fully refunded our deductible and worked out with our insurance company to go to the national chain, Safe Lit**.

No better at the national chain some one and half hours away. Same problem with wind noise. At one point, the shop thought we were just picky about the noise. Yes, if we had the music turned up, we did not hear the wind noise. But if this was the case, we would have just bought a Yugo. So after literally 11 changes every week (each time they mess up they had to order new OEM Lexus windshield). I'M NOT KIDDING!! On the FINAL successful install, the owner showed up and instructed the techs to apply the proper amount of glue (back then I remembered they had two different glues when combined together and applied to the frame of the windshield area.). I guess all prior attempts they applied too little glue?

No problems after that for many years until 2013 we traded it in with some 280K+ miles. We also switched insurance. After all these years, the new insurance company asked us why we had like 12 windshields changes on that vehicle in a matter of a few months. We told the new insurance company exactly what had happened and to call that shop. Not our fault. The insurance company later on said no problems. I guess this type of things stays on their radar for a long time. The good thing was that since the windshield changes there were absolutely no more claims of any kind. So this made it all legit and not our fault.

Originally Posted by Raoul
It happened to me.
The whistling at speed is from a gap in the sealant.
It just needs to be re-installed.

You may be able to feel the wind with your hand to isolate the spot.
(with someone else driving)
Or have someone go around the seam with a leaf blower while you feel inside.

Actually you don't have to do anything except call the installer and tell them you hear wind. This ain't their first rodeo.
Old 07-19-19, 04:08 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
... On the FINAL successful install, the owner showed up and instructed the techs to apply the proper amount of glue ... I guess all prior attempts they applied too little glue?

That is kind of what I was trying to say.
I don't see why it couldn't be a re-install of the same glass.
Old 07-19-19, 05:23 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 390 Likes on 309 Posts

I have had a couple of windshields replaced during the past decade, both by Safelite through my insurance company. I get the insurance approval, then I schedule the job myself instead of allowing the insurance company to do it because I always tell Safelite to ensure that they send an installer who has experience with the specific make and model of my vehicle. When the installer shows up, I always talk with him before allowing him to begin the job. If he does not demonstrate an awareness of what it takes to replace my exact windshield, I do not let him proceed with my replacement and call Safelite to insist upon another installer.

I was happy with both windshield replacement jobs and have had no issues with either one. The key is to first inspect the replacement windshield to ensure that you are getting what you are supposed to, and then talk with your installer to express your expectations and determine if he can indeed meet them.