RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Weird interaction between door switch, door chime, brake pedal, and Start Stop button

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 12:09 PM
MichaelTB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird interaction between door switch, door chime, brake pedal, and Start Stop button

I’ve been having problems in my 2014 RX350 with interactions between the driver’s door switch, door chime, brake pedal, and Engine Start Stop button. They started around the time that the vehicle’s battery was replaced.

All references below to “the door” are about the driver’s door.

Normally, when the door opens, there is no noise made. However, for me, a chime starts playing immediately constantly, the “ding…ding…ding…ding” that I believe is normally reserved for unfastening the seat belt. This goes on as long as the door is open.

Further, the vehicle used to let you do the following sequence with no delay: Close the door, step on the brake, and start the engine. But my car will delay the green light on the Engine Start Stop button for 2 to 7 seconds after the door closes. You can hold the brake and push the button all you want, but it won’t start.

Also, when the engine is turned off and the door opened, the chime instantly starts up. It’s really annoying to listen to as it tries to hurry your exit from the car.

These behaviors occur with a brand new Energizer battery in the key fob with the fob placed on the center console between the gear shift and cup holder.

Here’s a full listing of some of the behaviors observed. There are also sounds from a relay involved in these interactions that appears to come from an area under the steering wheel.

1) Door opens. Chime begins. Relay clicks one way (higher pitch) then other way (lower pitch) about one second later.

1A) Sometimes as the door opens, the chime sequence (sounds like an electronic sound file being played) is briefly interrupted. Instead of sounding like “Dingggggg Dingggggg Dingggggg Dingggggg” it will sound like “Dingg__ Dingggggg Dingggggg Dingggggg” with the gap throwing off the even timing of the dings.

2) Door closes. Chime stops. Relay clicks one way (higher pitch) then other way (lower pitch) about one second later.

3) Door is open, foot is on the brake, and the Engine Start Stop light is green. Close the door with foot remaining on the brake: the light turns off for 1 to 2 seconds, then on again.

4) Door is closed, foot on brake, and the Engine Start Stop light is green. Open the door with foot remaining on the brake: the light turns off for 1 to 2 seconds, then on again.

5) Door is closed for at least 10 seconds, then push the brake. The Engine Start Stop light goes green immediately.

6) Engine is off as if after driving. Foot is off the brake. The chime beings immediately when the door opens.

The other doors of the vehicle do not cause the chime to start or stop.

It generally seems like the act of opening or closing the door causes a module in the car to do a reset process or some other process during which time it is unable to properly process the brake, the fob, and the Engine Stop Start button.

I have disconnected and reconnected the vehicle battery for a few minutes in an attempt to reset any computers in the vehicle, but that did not help.

For full disclosure, the vehicle did have an aftermarket remote-start module installed by a third-party (not Lexus). The vehicle worked “properly” before and after the install. After the problems began, I had a different third-part shop remove the remote-start entirely. That did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas on how to address this would be great. The dealer has already looked at it some, but told us we'd have to book time with an advanced tech and I'm nervous about how much that will cost and how many parts they will try replacing. I'd love a targeted approach on what parts need replacement or if it just needs some special kind of reset.

Thank you!
Old 07-16-19, 12:10 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Does the info screen display any messages when the door is opened?
My car works fine, and every time it beeps at me it shows me what's wrong on the info screen.
Also, the manual specifies how to reconnect the battery, did you follow that procedure? If I remember correctly it's simple, involves opening and closing the door before starting the engine.
Old 07-17-19, 10:24 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Maybe also check the positive battery terminal:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-morning.html
Old 07-20-19, 12:05 PM
MichaelTB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
Does the info screen display any messages when the door is opened?
My car works fine, and every time it beeps at me it shows me what's wrong on the info screen.
Also, the manual specifies how to reconnect the battery, did you follow that procedure? If I remember correctly it's simple, involves opening and closing the door before starting the engine.
The only indication on the instrument cluster is the red overhead view of a car icon with the doors open in the tachometer area.

I'm not certain that I did the open and close procedure from Step 2 of "After recharging/reconnecting the battery". That's page 681 of my manual in the DIY mantenance section.

I did follow the instructions on page 797 in the "steps to take in an emergency" section. When the battery is removed or discharged, you only need to initialize the back door and make sure the key isn't inside because you could lock it in accidentally.

Too bad they didn't get the people that wrote each of these sections to talk with each other so they could have information that's in agreement.

I will go try the section about opening and closing the door.
Old 08-26-19, 06:38 PM
MichaelTB
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately, opening and closing the drivers door after reconnecting the battery didn't change anything.

Other new observation: The same procedure where closing a door turns out the Engine Start light applies to the front passenger door as well, not just the driver door.
Old 08-26-19, 09:04 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you dont mind loosing your setting, then I would suggest disconnect the 12v battery for about 20 mins. I find it useful to clear out the software gremlins running around.

Salim
Old 09-19-19, 08:42 PM
MichaelTB
Driver School Candidate

The problem has been resolved! It was the steering column actuator/control module. Apparently its failure was confusing the rest of the door/engine interlock stuff. It took about $1500, a few days at the Lexus dealer, the dashboard pulled open, a call to engineers at Lexus, and who knows what else.

The actuator doesn't look damaged inside - the nylon gear drive train coming off of the tiny motor has all of its teeth, and the side of the circuit board I can see without desoldering it from some molded-in pins looks fine.

The service adviser said these are one-time-paired with the vehicle. I'm presuming that keeps a thief from hooking up their own wire harness and controller to the module to unlock it. The module had "security" bolts (where the heads shear off) so it had to be drilled/dremeled out - seems to be standard practice on steering column locks.

Old 09-20-19, 04:35 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Glad it was finally resolved, but a very discouraging cause. Did Lexus Corporate offer you any financial assistance for the repair?
Old 09-21-19, 01:33 PM
MichaelTB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Glad it was finally resolved, but a very discouraging cause. Did Lexus Corporate offer you any financial assistance for the repair?
What's the usual track record on such assistance? What basis do people usually present to get that kind of assistance?
Old 09-22-19, 06:54 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

It often depends upon how vigorously the owner pursues some level of recourse. Strong pursuit has worked for me on various occasions with various automobile manufacturers and their issues dating back to the 1980s.
Old 09-25-19, 05:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Plus it helps to have been a prior regular customer at the dealer service department.