RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Brake Light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 12:25 PM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Light Replacement

Has anyone had to replace the brake light and if so, is it the whole assembly? There are (3) lights in that area, one is a colored light (lights on), another the turn light and then it looks like the actual brake ligh (driver side)t is some kind of LED that is just wired. Lexus service (and parts) didn't seem that sure but just said its gonna cost me ~$450...
I've done a ton of searching and can't find any examples, but did come across this assembly:
https://parts.lexus.com/a/Lexus_2015...3420-8111.html
Seems like its all of that or whats called the Rear lamp assembly
https://parts.lexus.com/p/Lexus_2015...15900E050.html

I'm sure preaching to the choir, but what idiot engineer would have the other bulbs easily replaced by screwing out and this appears p/o the assembly?

thanks!
Old 05-22-19, 04:51 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

What year is your RX? I think all of the bulbs are replaceable and if you only have a burned out bulb, there should not be any need to replace the lamp assembly. Just go to any independent auto repair shop and they can change the burned out bulb for you but LED bulbs cost a lot more.
If you have a damaged brake light assembly lens you should consult with a body shop as they are always replacing these parts in cars that were hit in the rear.

If a bulb is not working, which bulb burnt out? It sounds like you just called your Lexus dealer and did not show them the vehicle for them to give such a reply.

There are also plenty of used and aftermarket rear lenses on eBay. FYI there are many discount OEM Lexus parts sellers online.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/

https://www.mylparts.com/

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-22-19 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (05-22-19)
Old 05-22-19, 11:02 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Mark. You may be on to something about your 2015 brake light. The following video says to check your fuse before replacing the entire assembly because it is rare for the LEDs to go out. This video is not accurate because they show several models. Then they say to replace the bulbs on both sides which is not a good idea at $450 each. Good luck. I think you will solve the problem without having to replace the entire assembly. I would ask a body shop for help, as previously suggested.
Here is the video link. https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ts/brake_light
Ray A.
Old 05-23-19, 04:39 AM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raylor4
Mark. You may be on to something about your 2015 brake light. The following video says to check your fuse before replacing the entire assembly because it is rare for the LEDs to go out. This video is not accurate because they show several models. Then they say to replace the bulbs on both sides which is not a good idea at $450 each. Good luck. I think you will solve the problem without having to replace the entire assembly. I would ask a body shop for help, as previously suggested.
Here is the video link. https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...ts/brake_light
Ray A.
Hey Ray,
Thanks for the response..Funny, the links you sent, i saw..it was literally the only one i could find, close to my situation but not specific. So, i did look at the owners manual and for all the lights (exception front), their are many lights on one fuse...if you think about it, LED is less power so definately would have more lights on 1 fuse..they list 'back lights' with a bunch of them on one fuse...so don't think thats it..another annoying thing is lexus doesn't appear to use the word 'brake light' in the technical documentation...As to the $450...if accurate, its literally only if you have to change the LED (brake light) OR, that assembly is busted...the other 2 lights (blinker, running) are easily screwed out..
Mark
Old 05-23-19, 05:14 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Please make a distinction between bulb and lamp. The lamp is used here as the assembly that houses the bulb(s) and is installed on the body. Typically the lamp [as used here] needs to be replaced due to an accident. Lexus part store folks may be rightly confused as they expect to replace the "lamp" due to accident.

The bulbs are a different story and over time (based on model) we are switching over from filament, to xxx, to LED. Manufacturers are replacing stand alone bulbs to LEDs and many owners are swapping out filament bulbs to LED. Due to operational voltage difference a string of LEDs is used to make a 12v bulb.

By nature of construction the LEDs do not pop (very unlike fillament). So they are now gradually becoming part of the the lamp. Hard integration is my terminology. [like the nike look alike check mark around the headlights]

Back to the issue at hand.
Since the LEDs don't fail, first check for voltage [preferably with a low wattage light bulb] at the final connector. Voltmeter would work too, but if you have partial break in the line, it gives you 12v as there is no current flow. Odds are that you will find the problem here.

Then determine if the failing light source is a stand alone bulb or hard-integrated LED (then it is the lamp that needs to be replaced). If it is a stand alone bulb (many LEDs encapsulated together), one has to verify the polarity is right [LEDs work only if +12v and ground are connected in proper way)

Last case is if the LED is hard-integrated with the lamp assembly then one has to replace the lamp.

Note: If OP posts a picture of the lamp assembly we can confirm if it is part of Lamp or stand-alone. I dont have the same yr/model RX

Salim
Old 05-23-19, 05:23 AM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

Salim,
Thanks for the response and here's my answers. I'm not going to define distinctions..in short, the failure is a BRAKE LIGHT (LED it appears), specifically the driver side BRAKE LIGHT...As i mentioned, their are (3) 'lights' in that assembly (Lamp, or whatever)..the "Lamp Assembly" area i question is here:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...on-lamp,,81560

Although i agree, LED's last longer, they DO fail. I replace them all the time in other items. now, i did have a body work repair done the other month on that back quarter panel and may not have noticed the light was out when they gave it back..i'm taking it back to them to check...They also said they replace LED's all the time on different cars..having said that, it maybe the connector (to the LED light in that housing), some plug further back or maybe they pinched the wiring...

In any case, my simple question is still "Can you replace just the BRAKE LIGHT" in some manner and if not, which 'Lamp Assembly' is required ?

thanks,
Mark
Old 05-23-19, 06:45 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

LEDs do indeed fail individually. My 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R's high-mount brake light consists of 9 individual LEDs behind the red lens in the high-mount brake light assembly. One of those LEDs failed within the past year. I am not going to bother with removing the assembly and trying to replace that one burned-out LED.
Old 05-23-19, 08:54 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are two bulbs in the tail lamp assembly . One is the stop lamp bulb 00234-00192 and the other is signal lamp bulb 90981-15021. these are not LED bulbs and they just push in . No big deal . Any auto parts store will have them .
Old 05-23-19, 08:58 AM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barry2522
There are two bulbs in the tail lamp assembly . One is the stop lamp bulb 00234-00192 and the other is signal lamp bulb 90981-15021. these are not LED bulbs and they just push in . No big deal . Any auto parts store will have them .
Yeah but those are NOT the brake light (Led) that I’m talking about
Old 05-23-19, 10:26 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by markmil1
Salim,
Thanks for the response and here's my answers. I'm not going to define distinctions..in short, the failure is a BRAKE LIGHT (LED it appears), specifically the driver side BRAKE LIGHT...As i mentioned, their are (3) 'lights' in that assembly (Lamp, or whatever)..the "Lamp Assembly" area i question is here:
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...on-lamp,,81560

Although i agree, LED's last longer, they DO fail. I replace them all the time in other items. now, i did have a body work repair done the other month on that back quarter panel and may not have noticed the light was out when they gave it back..i'm taking it back to them to check...They also said they replace LED's all the time on different cars..having said that, it maybe the connector (to the LED light in that housing), some plug further back or maybe they pinched the wiring...

In any case, my simple question is still "Can you replace just the BRAKE LIGHT" in some manner and if not, which 'Lamp Assembly' is required ?

thanks,
Mark
81550F and 81550L are the two bulbs per diagram. If there is a small difference in price, get one from dealership as you will be assured of the right current draw. If a non-spec bulb is used for brake light, you may get a bulb failure indication in you display.
One more thing with the electronic/electrical parts is that sellers typically do not accept returns. If you go to the dealership, skip service and go to the parts. Ask the sales person to come look at the failed bulbs and let them pull a new bulb for you. 9 out of 10 times the sales person may actually change the bulb for you. I recall the sales person changing the wiper inserts for some one in pouring rain. I have also witnessed another sales person helping a stranded Lexus owner over the phone. Price of items/mark-up is a different issue, but the service you get is top notch. That is my experience with Lexus of Austin.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-23-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-23-19, 10:51 AM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

It’s NOT those 2 bulbs....As I previously mentioned, those two bulbs are easily replaceable. They are for the blinker and Running light. I merely brought that assembly out hoping someone else knows more than I can tell and the third light, the brake light, is where? And is it integrated in the assembly have to be purchased. Don’t know how to make it any clearer. What is required to replace the brake light?
Old 05-23-19, 12:22 PM
WHLex4
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I see in the forum and in a Google search, if the LED's are out, you need to replace the entire unit. The google search shows replacements as low as $127 (likely not OEM) - but you should call them as I am not sure that is the unit or just the lens (I think its the unit) https://www.go-parts.com/lexus-rx350-tail-lights.html

just a note -- I do not know this company -- this is just for information.
markmil1 (05-23-19)
Old 05-23-19, 12:32 PM
markmil1
Driver School Candidate

thats a good find (Part company), if what i need..built in canada and about half the price of lexus parts....however the part you showed me is just the lens and cover (just spoke to their support)...they don't carry the full assembly or brake light

Last edited by markmil1; 05-23-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 01:13 PM
WHLex4
Driver

https://www.carid.com/2015-lexus-rx-...-35519741.html

so, if you look at this link and check the product options list they say it comes with:

Description Features Specifications Includes

(1) Replacement LED Tail Light
Bulbs
Sockets

Replaces Original (OE) Part #:
LX2804112, 81560-0E090 more details on - https://www.carid.com/2015-lexus-rx-...-35519741.html
sells for $209 -- maybe call them and check?

when you go to add to cart it lets you choose driver or passenger side

I guess I need to get back to work -- lol
markmil1 (05-23-19)
Old 05-23-19, 01:16 PM
WHLex4
Driver

google the part number LX2804112, 81560-0E090 - lots of sellers -- some less than the link above! Again, not an ad for this company, just an example
markmil1 (05-23-19)

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Light Replacement