RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Experience with Costco TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 08:24 AM
Geebr200
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Experience with Costco TPMS?

Anyone here have any experience with Costco's TPMS sensors and their programming methods?
Old 05-21-19, 12:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Costco has been working on TPMS, like forever. One good thing is that all work is guaranteed. Am sure they used mid to top grade sensors. Costco has the same equipment for the TPMS Sensors like any other tire shop.
Old 05-22-19, 11:38 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The last TLMS units I bought at Costco were from Dill Air Controls. I've had Costco install TLMS units on wheels when mounting tires I also bought there but I never had them program the ID's into a vehicle ECU since I'd rather do it myself with my cheapo ATEQ Quickset handheld programming tool. The boxes my Dill TLMS units came in had the codes on them and the codes were also on the units.

I've been super happy with Costco's tire department and have bought lots of tires there - as many as 12 at a time - since the one near me opened in 2001. Their main tire guy has an amazing memory - he can recite all current and past vehicles we've bought tires for. They seem to have very little employee turnover - it's nice to deal with the same people year after year which is becoming decade after decade.
Old 05-23-19, 02:13 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Love to Costco is great but best PRICE around here has Discount Tire. Price, labor and set up. Plus, they do it literally instantly. No idea how they managed to do all 4 on my TCH in about 25 min. To the tune of $68. Wife's RX though was quite a bit more, but nowhere close to $180 a pop through say LesSchwab.
Old 05-23-19, 06:29 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Love to Costco is great but best PRICE around here has Discount Tire. Price, labor and set up. Plus, they do it literally instantly. No idea how they managed to do all 4 on my TCH in about 25 min. To the tune of $68. Wife's RX though was quite a bit more, but nowhere close to $180 a pop through say LesSchwab.
Costco must be watching Discount Tires prices since Costco's price per tire on the ones I need to buy next are exactly one penny less than Discount Tire's price. But ... Discount Tire doesn't give me a 2% cash rebate on purchases like Costco does at the end of the year. Plus, Costco knocks an additional $60 off per set instantly if I pay with my existing Costco Visa card while Discount Tire knocks an additional $50 off with Prepaid Mastercards that you might get after applying by mail but that is only if you apply for a "NEW Discount Tire credit card".

From my experience, Costco crushes the competition when all factors are considered plus they have long term, decently paid employees instead of using itinerant tire monkeys.

Shill alert: we are long time Costco shareholder but only because we are so impressed by the value we get there and how they treat their employees.
Old 05-29-19, 05:22 AM
LexusGaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kansas
Costco must be watching Discount Tires prices since Costco's price per tire on the ones I need to buy next are exactly one penny less than Discount Tire's price. But ... Discount Tire doesn't give me a 2% cash rebate on purchases like Costco does at the end of the year. Plus, Costco knocks an additional $60 off per set instantly if I pay with my existing Costco Visa card while Discount Tire knocks an additional $50 off with Prepaid Mastercards that you might get after applying by mail but that is only if you apply for a "NEW Discount Tire credit card".

From my experience, Costco crushes the competition when all factors are considered plus they have long term, decently paid employees instead of using itinerant tire monkeys.

Shill alert: we are long time Costco shareholder but only because we are so impressed by the value we get there and how they treat their employees.
Ask Costco to replace the TPMS in your full spare while doing the other four. It is a known issue across various makes that not replacing all TPMS can cause false readings due to the laws that govern the requirements for TPMS. This is an easy miss for even good tire centers. They might push back a bit. In either case, add it to your notebook of common silly problems. Most junior mechanics dont know how to solve TMPS indicator light on issues, so when you do get that TPMS, you'll also have to take a day off from work to bring the car in monday through Friday to get a senior tech to help out.
The following users liked this post:
MellonC00 (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 07:29 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Love Costco and am on my second set of tires for my RX350 with 145k miles. But, Plus, "they do it literally instantly."??? Not quite here in New Hampshire. The wait is usually several hours. They do take appointments but you better book three weeks ahead of time. (BTW, UKRKOZ "literally" instantly??)
=rangySelectionBoundary=rangySelectionBoundary
Old 05-31-19, 07:30 AM
LexusGaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusGaze
Ask Costco to replace the TPMS in your full spare while doing the other four. It is a known issue across various makes that not replacing all TPMS can cause false readings due to the laws that govern the requirements for TPMS. This is an easy miss for even good tire centers. They might push back a bit. In either case, add it to your notebook of common silly problems. Most junior mechanics dont know how to solve TMPS indicator light on issues, so when you do get that TPMS, you'll also have to take a day off from work to bring the car in monday through Friday to get a senior tech to help out.
My other tip is never, ever replace only 2 out of 4 in a Sedan. Just do the whole thing. Dealers will rip you off on the cost of Tpms. Costco is way better price. While there, consider getting Michelin tires. The French really know what they're doing with rubber. I know people attending tire safety workshops who can't believe the difference in stopping power.
Old 07-29-19, 05:22 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Default Clonable TPMS sensors

Hi,

Which TPMS sensor do you guys use? I have heard of people purchasing from Rock Auto but there are 2 frequencies 315 and 314.9(?).

Also does it require programming or would it work out of the box? I am getting tires from Costco and I am not sure if they know how to program it.
Old 07-29-19, 06:58 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Most tire stores replace, repair and can reprogram TPMS. They wear out, need batteries replaced etc and tires stores deal with them all the time when replacing tires.
Call the Costco tire store and ask them. I bet they can handle it and will supply the new TPMS for so you may not have to get them from Rock Auto.
Old 07-29-19, 07:01 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Most tire stores replace, repair and can reprogram TPMS. They wear out, need batteries replaced etc and tires stores deal with them all the time when replacing tires.
Call the Costco tire store and ask them. I bet they can handle it and will supply the new TPMS for so you may not have to get them from Rock Auto.
I gave Costco a call and their tire guy have no idea what clonable tpms sensors are and I quote "I have never heard of those".

I could purchase them from RockAuto but thats if they can read the IDs and program the clones......
Old 07-29-19, 07:03 PM
Clutchless

It appears you are getting a second set of wheels and in this situation maybe you need to go to a different tire store to get the service you require.
Old 07-29-19, 07:07 PM
Geebr200
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It appears you are getting a second set of wheels and in this situation maybe you need to go to a different tire store to get the service you require.
Ultimately I want to purchase from Costco for the warranty aspect but I just want to see what others experience are. Its ether the clonable tpms or the ateq quickset but I rather go the clone route.
Old 07-30-19, 06:55 AM
Clutchless

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2709919
Old 08-03-19, 10:33 PM
Geebr200
Driver

The technician there said they would update the sensor ID for free.......so I may just do that.