RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New owner and new to the brand

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 09:26 PM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New owner and new to the brand

Hey gang. Apparently I'm getting a one owner (mother in law bought it new) 2010 RX350 soon. I've never owned a Lexus. In fact, I'm a bit of an oddball. In 1988 I bought my 3rd vehicle (all the same brand: Jeep), a new Jeep cherokee limited 4WD.

I then proceeded to drive it for the last 32 years. Have a bit over 400K miles on it. Same engine. Never been in the engine at all. No issues. Love that vehicle. Solid as a rock. I'm in SoCal and a year round motorcyclist out here, so I don't drive it as much any more except when it (rarely) rains here or to go to play in the snow every year.

Anyhow, I know next to nothing about the brand, or the vehicle. I've ridden in it a few times. It is flawless. She takes it to the dealer for wiper blades, if that tells you anything. Not sure I'm a "Lexus" guy. I'm more of a "Jeep" guy to be honest. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and doing it myself. Apparently, those days are over for me. I now appear to be a "turn the key and drive it" guy.

Oh...75k on the one I'm getting. How long do they go?

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and get some insight on it. Cheers and jeers...that sort of thing. I've been on the Jeep forums for decades so I know the layout well. I'll start the ball rolling by asking a few questions:

1) anyone have a bike roof rack they like? I'll keep my Yakima twin bike rack and try to apply it to the new RX maybe. But then again there's that sunroof thing. Might need some new parts.
2) RX has a "tow pkg" but no hitch ball etc? I'll pull mine off the cherokee. Easy to put one on the RX, I'm hoping?
3) I also have the "nerf" bars/step bars on my cherokee. Got them on your RX? Fotos? Like 'em? brands to get/avoid?
4) I'm betting that a front end guard/bull guard doesn't look good on such an um...cough cough ..."aquired brand"? Or maybe you have an RX with a gnarly off-road/non-genteel look to it? Love to see it! Thanks guys/gals. Look forward to the insanity.

-greg

Old 03-21-19, 01:41 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

It is not going to be insanity but i hope it will be serenity.

I would suggest a change in tempo from real 4 wheeling to predominately road driving and once in a while on snow/powder to gravel. You are switching over from jeans to suit and although the RX won't let you down, but it is a different vehicle. With care it should last you a long time.

Salim
Old 03-21-19, 04:45 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 433 Likes on 346 Posts

We owned and daily-drove multiple 4x4 Jeeps from 1985 until 2003. Trust me, the RX does not have the same off-road, snow, or towing capabilities. If you expect it to handle everything your Jeep can, you will be very disappointed.
Old 03-21-19, 06:18 AM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

... but, while it's not meant to be a serious off-roader, it handles everything else so well including slippery, snowy and steepy roads if you do.
It definitely gives you a finer ride compared to many rivals and no trouble for many miles/years ..

For questions 1 & 2, we use the rear bike rake from Thule similar to

Congratulations!
Old 03-21-19, 06:32 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Welcome to CL and your new ride. Regarding your questions, I can answer a few and some of them have been asked before. So if you do some searching you may learn a bit more. Also, since it appears you may want to do some work on it yourself, the Toyota Highlander 2nd gen (2008-2013) is a mechanical twin and the folks at the ToyotaNation forum have a lot of maintenance and repair information. https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ion-2008-2013/

1. Do you have the factory cross bars on your roof rack? They were optional. If not, you may find used ones on eBay or aftermarket elsewhere.
2. You can move the hitch ball, but Your Jeep hitch will not fit. You need a Curt hitch. That is what I have. 4 bolts. You do need to trim the underbody plastic trim a bit. The wire plug connection is up under the plastic trim on the driver side. Again, there are several threads about hitches. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...rchid=20682750 and this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tow-hitch.html
You can get a Curt here https://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.ht...CVc8QAvD_BwE#/
See this also https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html

3. & 4. Bull bars have also been covered. Start looking here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...the-lexus.html and here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-a-2010-a.html' and here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...for-rx350.html
Old 03-21-19, 06:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We have 2013 RX450h and love it. Very smooth.

I don't know about if the 2010 RX model year got the "metal oil lines" coming out of the oil filter area? Prior years RX suffered from the sudden rubber oil lines rupturing and subsequent catastrophic engine damage due to dumping all the engine oil out in literally just a few minutes. By the time the warning lights come on the dash it is too late. There is a TSB out for a free fix from Lexus if I remember correctly.

So you want to look and see if you got the metal oil lines. There are multiple threads talking about this issue.

Originally Posted by wgregt
Hey gang. Apparently I'm getting a one owner (mother in law bought it new) 2010 RX350 soon. I've never owned a Lexus. In fact, I'm a bit of an oddball. In 1988 I bought my 3rd vehicle (all the same brand: Jeep), a new Jeep cherokee limited 4WD.

I then proceeded to drive it for the last 32 years. Have a bit over 400K miles on it. Same engine. Never been in the engine at all. No issues. Love that vehicle. Solid as a rock. I'm in SoCal and a year round motorcyclist out here, so I don't drive it as much any more except when it (rarely) rains here or to go to play in the snow every year.

Anyhow, I know next to nothing about the brand, or the vehicle. I've ridden in it a few times. It is flawless. She takes it to the dealer for wiper blades, if that tells you anything. Not sure I'm a "Lexus" guy. I'm more of a "Jeep" guy to be honest. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and doing it myself. Apparently, those days are over for me. I now appear to be a "turn the key and drive it" guy.

Oh...75k on the one I'm getting. How long do they go?

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and get some insight on it. Cheers and jeers...that sort of thing. I've been on the Jeep forums for decades so I know the layout well. I'll start the ball rolling by asking a few questions:

1) anyone have a bike roof rack they like? I'll keep my Yakima twin bike rack and try to apply it to the new RX maybe. But then again there's that sunroof thing. Might need some new parts.
2) RX has a "tow pkg" but no hitch ball etc? I'll pull mine off the cherokee. Easy to put one on the RX, I'm hoping?
3) I also have the "nerf" bars/step bars on my cherokee. Got them on your RX? Fotos? Like 'em? brands to get/avoid?
4) I'm betting that a front end guard/bull guard doesn't look good on such an um...cough cough ..."aquired brand"? Or maybe you have an RX with a gnarly off-road/non-genteel look to it? Love to see it! Thanks guys/gals. Look forward to the insanity.

-greg
Old 03-21-19, 07:39 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Here is a link regarding the oil cooler lines. If you still have the rubber ones, get them replaced ASAP. When they fail all your oil pumps out so fast the by the time oil pressure warning light comes on, it is too late for the engine. The Lexus TSB only covers free replacement if the lines are cracked or leaking. Do not wait that long. The repair is a couple of hundred bucks and any Toyota shop can do it as the Venza, Highlander and Sienna have the same engine and problem. The part itself is under $100.

Look at this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-recall-3.html
Old 03-21-19, 08:19 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

Ok. So the Curt model hitch (I think I’m reading that there is only one model number) is the ONLY hitch that will work? If so, you guys just saved me some trouble already in pulling the one off the Jeep and flinging tools around the garage. This forum is already worth every cent I paid to join!🤣

oh....what’s this I see about a preferred discount somewhere? Code if needed?
Old 03-21-19, 08:22 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

I do not have the crossbars. Thinking about getting them. Will check on the metal oil lines. Mother in law was religious about this vehicle so I’ll bet it’s been done but I will ask. Now I just need to find a shipper or fly and drive the 2000 miles to get it.
Old 03-21-19, 08:24 AM
wgregt
Pit Crew

A smoother ride sounds great to me. The Jeep has a lot of pitch and roll. At times I felt I needed a kidney belt to drive it. Looking forward to the decidedly more upscale experience.
Old 03-21-19, 08:58 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok. So the Curt model hitch (I think I’m reading that there is only one model number) is the ONLY hitch that will work?...
Take a look at Curt Model #13143
It is jacked up on the right side to accommodate the exhaust.
Hitch holes match frame holes.
45 minute install.

Anything else may bring you grief.
Old 03-22-19, 11:54 AM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a 2010 AWD and love it. Wife uses it as her DD having the short commute to work and its the family car on weekends. 49K miles, easy to work on. I second the Curt. Lots of videos online for install. Plenty of threads here as well. Best forum I have been a part of. Also in SoCal
Old 03-22-19, 06:55 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm betting that a front end guard/bull guard doesn't look good on such an um...cough cough ..."aquired brand"? Or maybe you have an RX with a gnarly off-road/non-genteel look to it?
It's not the brand but the model. The RX is a unibody CUV, sharing a platform with the Camry (and other models), and even with AWD it's no offroader so guards don't really serve much purpose unless you live someplace like New York and want to protect your bumpers while parallel parking on the street.

That said, Lexus does have off road capable vehicles but we're talking GX or LX which are body on frame SUV's.

Last edited by takeshi74; 03-22-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 06:45 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the GX and LX are Lexified 4Runners and Landcruisers so they are very capable.