RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 starts, shuts off, Power Steering Msg

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 03:55 PM
Klee33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 starts, shuts off, Power Steering Msg

2014 RX 350. No codes via consumer/Autozone OBDII scan tool. No other priors/indications. Suddenly one day it started and ran for 2-4 seconds and shut off...repeat. "CHECK POWER STEERING SYSTEM" msg on dash. Pulled battery (not AGM), charged 14 hrs on bench, had tested/load tested. Fine as far as that goes. Reinstalled...same issue. Found the funky red mega-multi-fuse to check (2 of them in there holding around 5 and 8 fuses...WTF and WHY?) but appears it's screwed-down below the top level and I didn't have time to remove first tier of inner fuse box. So other things being equal, what am I possibly looking at or looking for...or IN FOR? My brother and I do "most" repairs with Audi, Honda, Saab, Volvo, Lexus familiarity over the years. Dad passed recently, Mom's car, we gotta get her back up and going economically if possible. Any advice or further testing? Do have access to ALLDATA info Many thx in advance. I'me here bc all my similar forum lookups for similar seem to degenerate into some random seemingly unrelated solution like a gas cap or canister...just haven't seen this scenario yet. Thx again!
Kevin
Old 03-13-19, 08:29 PM
Klee33
Driver School Candidate

I take it we don't talk about repairs here?
Old 03-13-19, 09:23 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Klee33
I take it we don't talk about repairs here?
Hello Klee33 - Yes, we talk repairs here. Sometimes replies don't come overnight. I would wait for a few days so everyone has a chance to peruse the forum. I've been a member for a few years, and I don't ever recall a post involving a power steering check light in concert with a shut-down. This is the car telling you it's not safe to drive because the steering isn't working. All the steering concerns I've seen here are for a "groaning" steering wheel while turning at low speeds, like parking. I would call the dealer or your trusted mechanic. You may have to have it towed. Just my opinion. Please let us know what your discover. All the best.
Ray A.
Old 03-13-19, 09:48 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Klee33 - I found this. Hope it helps...

So last Saturday we had a good downpour I had to drive thru some water about 8in or so high. Drove thru it slow for about 100 feet.

Got home parked in the garage and the next evening I started the car no issues. I drove a couple of miles parked came back out 20 mins later and the power steering is locked up. A couple restarts no change. I managed to drive it back lucky it was short drive no real traffic and mostly straightaways.

Later that night I took my code reader no codes. Started up no issues. Backed out of garage turned it off back on no power steering again. Ran codes got the c1555 code. Pulled it back in the garage did some research.

I am guessing the rack got a good bath and water messed with the wiring connectors getting too wet. I sprayed some WD40 over the connectors a good dose. Started up no issues a couple of times. The next 2 mornings so far no issues. I think I read somewhere that another owner had the same issue.

I don't use the car for work so it sits most days until my days off. I am hoping it will not return and just have to watch high waters in the future.
_________
Old 03-13-19, 09:53 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

You have access to techstream? There modules that may not show codes with a “normal” obd2 readers. can you turn the ignition on without actually starting vehicle?
Old 03-14-19, 08:19 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Klee33 - FYI the Toyota Highlander 2nd generation is a mechanical twin and the folks at Toyota Nation forum are a lot more repair oriented than the Lexus forum. https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ion-2008-2013/

You could try searching there and checking out their several "Read ME" sticky threads which have lots of mechanical advice.
Old 03-14-19, 09:08 PM
Klee33
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Thx, all.
Just realized something!!!! Pls advise: If you get in yours ('14 RX350 gas), close door, start, shut off after 10 secs with key in position II...what idiot lights are displayed after engine shutdown by default? Mom only got this this under a year ago and I'm not around it regularly. Wondering if it actually has NOTHING to do with PS and she erroneously picked up on the MIL just by chance...looking for a reason...and "never noticed it'".
Old 03-15-19, 01:22 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Klee33
Awesome. Thx, all.
Just realized something!!!! Pls advise: If you get in yours ('14 RX350 gas), close door, start, shut off after 10 secs with key in position II...what idiot lights are displayed after engine shutdown by default? Mom only got this this under a year ago and I'm not around it regularly. Wondering if it actually has NOTHING to do with PS and she erroneously picked up on the MIL just by chance...looking for a reason...and "never noticed it'".
You pretty much cannot get the car to shut off while in position 2 unless it's really broken like in your case. So I would not expect many answers. I doubt it has anything to do with PS, if the engine shuts off unexpectedly you should expect to get a plethora of warnings. PS would make sense since it may not be getting enough power due to alternator being down. I would also expect a bunch of VSC, TRAC, AWD, brake system etc lights. We don't really have enough info here to troubleshoot...maybe it's a dying fuel pump, or a bad relay, or the immobilizer, or something in the idle air control system, or a vacuum leak, or a bad torque converter...
Old 03-15-19, 03:32 PM
Klee33
Driver School Candidate

The answer: . FUEL PUMP. Thanks.
Old 04-09-19, 10:54 PM
Klee33
Driver School Candidate

Oops! Nope. The next day we find out, NOT the fuel pump. Dealer apparently replaced (gotta check Mom's receipt)..the fuel filler/breather/return/etc. ***'y...and solved. From the feedback I got, sounded very much like they were doing the "throwing ***** against the wall" approach. Service writer was a doof. I hate those guys anyway...just salesmen and hypnotists, nothing more. Anyway, supposedly the new fuel pump is in there still and the rest was warranty 100%. And we're good! Fianl answer. Thanks all. No one had this correct btw, but maybe you've heard of it/run into it in future.