RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rx 350 2010 , engine swap advice urgent

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 01:33 PM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 350 2010 , engine swap advice urgent

Hi all

I have lexus rx 350 2010 model, due to some oil pump problem my complete engine is dead ( broken crankshaft and rods with damaged engine block)
Local mechanic advised to fit a used engine 2GR.
so I have found a 2GR engine in local scrap market .
It is Toyota avalon/aurion/ 2013 2GR engine.
Will it fit in my rx 350? Do I need a reprogramming?
will my rx 350 run smooth as before ?
will it be quite as before? What will be the complications by putting a Toyota engine in lexus
Urgent advise is required

Thanks in advance
Old 03-09-19, 02:48 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

The 2FR-FE was used in many Toyota & Lexus vehicles and I the one you found from a 2013 Avalon should fit. Make sure it is a 2GR-FE. It should go right in, but he will have to transfer some of the external stuff from your engine as that is what differs on various models. He should also check for a leaking timing cover gasket before installing the engine and maybe replace the water pump at the same time as it is easy to do those while the engine is out. Also get a new Serpentine belt.

This Wikipedia link may help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine It shows all the vehicles with this engine.

In the US all automobile scrapyards have access to a pay database called Hollander that shows what parts are interchangeable or will fit other cars. See if the scrapyard can look this up for you. But according to Wikipedia it should be fine.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-09-19 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 02:54 PM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Thank for the advise

How about ECU? Need programming? Fuel injections?

Waiting for the reply

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The 2FR-FE was used in many Toyota & Lexus vehicles and I the one you found from a 2013 Avalon will fit. Make sure it is a 2GR-FE. It should go right in, but he will have to transfer some of the external stuff from your engine as that is what differs on various models. He should also check for a leaking timing cover gasket before installing the engine and maybe replace the water pump at the same time as it is easy to do those while the engine is out. Also get a new Serpentine belt.

This Wikipedia link may help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine It shows all the vehicles with this engine.
Old 03-10-19, 06:34 AM
Clutchless

Probably not, it is the same engine. Your mechanic should know what to do, if he does not, you need another better-skilled mechanic to do the swap. It should be the same procedure as any other Toyota with this 2GR-FE engine.

You should change the spark plugs before installing the engine. They are very easy to change with the engine out of the vehicle, but it takes 6 hours labor to get at the rear spark plugs when the engine is in the vehicle.

Also, change the oil and filter and you will need new coolant, make sure to get Toyota Long Life Coolant.
Old 03-10-19, 06:59 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Same engine does not mean identical mounting/connections. You are asking the right questions, but why is your mechanic is not doing his part. If you purchase and something does not fit [as an example the starter is not in the same location] then who has to return the engine and pay for twice the labor. Similarly if problems develop later, who eats up the additional cost [labor and parts].
I would suggest that you put the monkey on the shop/mechanic's shoulder.

Salim
Old 03-10-19, 10:27 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

So what was the “oil pump problem” that destroyed your engine? Did the pump fail or was oil level low or??
Old 03-10-19, 11:07 AM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RealWing
So what was the “oil pump problem” that destroyed your engine? Did the pump fail or was oil level low or??
Oil pressure was low .....and when I was revving the engine for 7000rpm suddenly I got squeaking and knocking sound....that is all happened....
Old 03-10-19, 11:10 AM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Hi every one

Used engine is bought and ready to be fixed ...bought gear oil, engine oil, filter,coolant, differential oil , spark plugs..
Hope's within 3 days car will be ready..

I will keep updated the progress ...hopes it will end trouble free .....jobbbbb......
Old 03-10-19, 11:18 AM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

The 2FR-FE was used in many Toyota & Lexus vehicles and I the one you found from a 2013 Avalon should fit. Make sure it is a 2GR-FE. It should go right in, but he will have to transfer some of the external stuff from your engine as that is what differs on various models. He should also check for a leaking timing cover gasket before installing the engine and maybe replace the water pump at the same time as it is easy to do those while the engine is out. Also get a new Serpentine belt.

In the US all automobile scrapyards have access to a pay database called Hollander that shows what parts are interchangeable or will fit other cars. See if the scrapyard can look this up for you. But according to Wikipedia it should be fine.

2GR FE with 75000km ready .....

This is before dismantling

Update will come once install the new engine.....))))

Last edited by Athaml88; 03-15-19 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 12:26 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Athaml88
Oil pressure was low .....and when I was revving the engine for 7000rpm suddenly I got squeaking and knocking sound....that is all happened....
7000 rpm??!!! I thought engine rpm was electronically limited to ~6500 rpm?

Was the engine at operating temperature or cold?
So how much oil was in the pan after it failed? Normal level,? a little low or very low or none???
Did the engine have the recall done to replace the rubber VVT hoses with metal ones? (Have been several engine failures due to these hoses bursting)
Just trying to understand the root cause of the failure
Jim

The following users liked this post:
User 41924 (03-19-19)
Old 03-10-19, 01:01 PM
Clutchless

The RX350 and Avalon (plus Highlander, Camry, Lexus ES etc) are all built on the same Toyota K platform. Thus, all the engine mounting points should be the same among them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_K_platform

I agree with RealWing about the oil cooler hose as I can see it in the photo of your engine. You need to inspect to see if it was leaking as that is a known problem and if your new engine has the same hose (it only came with the towing package) you must get the metal replacement shown above. Again, it will be very easy to install with the engine sitting on a work bench!

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-10-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 03:35 PM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RealWing
7000 rpm??!!! I thought engine rpm was electronically limited to ~6500 rpm?

Was the engine at operating temperature or cold?
So how much oil was in the pan after it failed? Normal level,? a little low or very low or none???
Did the engine have the recall done to replace the rubber VVT hoses with metal ones? (Have been several engine failures due to these hoses bursting)
Just trying to understand the root cause of the failure
Jim

hi realwing

Engine has plastic horse , no recall was done,
engine was cold when i revd 7000rpm.....and also car was not used for 10 days as I was out of city....
further engine oil level was good..engine oil was just 4000km old,
the engine had rattling sound at starting when cold ...lexus told me that it is ok...the sound is normal....I will not trust lexus Toyota dealers anymore...local mechanics are more skilled than this unskilled so called dealers...
My only problem is now...((((((((
I want my baby again as quite as before...she was a nice and silent girl......(((((
Old 03-10-19, 03:37 PM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

The RX350 and Avalon (plus Highlander, Camry, Lexus ES etc) are all built on the same Toyota K platform. Thus, all the engine mounting points should be the same among them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_K_platform

I agree with RealWing about the oil cooler hose as I can see it in the photo of your engine. You need to inspect to see if it was leaking as that is a known problem and if your new engine has the same hose (it only came with the towing package) you must get the metal replacement shown above. Again, it will be very easy to install with the engine sitting on a work bench!
Tomorrow I will upload complete dismantled engine with broken parts.....
Old 03-10-19, 05:51 PM
Clutchless

The lesson of this costly engine failure is if your vehicle has been sitting for several days, wait until it has warmed up before pushing the engine to the redline. In fact, no engine under any circumstances should be pushed to the redline until it has been thoroughly warmed up. Why did you do such a thing?
Old 03-10-19, 05:56 PM
Athaml88
Driver School Candidate

The lesson of this costly engine failure is if your vehicle has been sitting for several days, wait until it has warmed up before pushing the engine to the redline. In fact, no engine under any circumstances should be pushed to the redline until it has been thoroughly warmed up. Why did you do such a thing?
to be honest,
I did it to make the engine warmer quickly.......
Actually I remember it was above 7000 within first 10 seconds of starting......
first time I know this fact.....that I should not rev up the engine to higher RPM at beginning...
Is this thump rule for all engine? Or for lexus/ Toyota engines???

Quick Reply: Rx 350 2010 , engine swap advice urgent