RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear caliper piston boot torn

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 05:42 AM
hippt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear caliper piston boot torn

I have a 2011 rx350 and the rubber boot that covers that covers or slides in and out with piston is torn. Can this be fixed? If so, would it be through an aftermarket vendor, because I'm either searching wrong or Lexus doesn't make one. Any help or part number or proper vernacular would be appreciated so I can search more efficiently. Thanks, fingers crossed.

Last edited by hippt; 09-28-18 at 05:44 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-28-18, 01:01 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The fix is a new caliper. You have to remove and rebuild the caliper to replace the boot. The labor is not worth it and no one does it anymore unless a shade tree mechanic doing their own work. Everyone else will just replace it. If all else is good, just put it back together and replace the caliper next time you need brakes or if it starts having issues due to all the road salt in MN.. I assume you noticed it when replacing your own pads as that is the only way to see it.
Old 09-28-18, 02:38 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You can replace it by retracting caliper piston all the way into the bore. Then you can get to the grove, dust seal is in and pull it out.
I wouldn't be paying much attention to that though. I drove cars that literally had none of it left and was not a problem. You may apply thick coat of some quality grease along the piston exposed edge, then press it in with C clamp, to spread it. I feel it's more of fiddling, than necessity.
Old 09-29-18, 07:03 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I agree with Ukrkoz. It is just a dust boot. I have ignored torn ones for years on other vehicles back when I was much younger. Every time I replaced pads I would see the tear, then clean and compress the piston back in and move on.
Old 09-29-18, 07:20 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Just to give a different perspective ...
Torn/ripped boots can compromise proper working of the brakes.

Now if you drive in an environment that there is never any grime or dirt or mud, yes you can do without boots.

The slave cylinder is exposed without boots and as the piston moves out [not during braking] as the pads wear out, the hydraulic action is happening in the area which was previously exposed.

My drive to to DIY is making sure the job is done right. I do enjoy the work and save a lot of money but I do not skimp on things.

Since I do my own work, I have never had a ripped boot. It generally happens when the a screw driver is used to lever in/out the pads or when pads are inserted without care.

Tip: Before pushing back the pads, make sure you clean the piston area [you dont want to push junk past the boot]

ps: Boots should be in stock at the dealership.

Salim
Old 10-03-18, 12:20 AM
hippt
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Just to give a different perspective ...
Torn/ripped boots can compromise proper working of the brakes.

Now if you drive in an environment that there is never any grime or dirt or mud, yes you can do without boots.

The slave cylinder is exposed without boots and as the piston moves out [not during braking] as the pads wear out, the hydraulic action is happening in the area which was previously exposed.

My drive to to DIY is making sure the job is done right. I do enjoy the work and save a lot of money but I do not skimp on things.

Since I do my own work, I have never had a ripped boot. It generally happens when the a screw driver is used to lever in/out the pads or when pads are inserted without care.

Tip: Before pushing back the pads, make sure you clean the piston area [you dont want to push junk past the boot]

ps: Boots should be in stock at the dealership.

Salim
Shoot! i just typed a thorough response and then bam it was gone. Just my luck these past couple of days. Anyways, it's late but I wanted to thank you both for their responses. In the end I took your initial advice Clutchless's advice and for my market (Minneapolis) you were spot on. I got a used one for 45.00 out the door. A kit which was the only way I could get the boot varied from 20 to 80 bucks and nobody and I mean no one had them on hand in the whole metro. No joke. I would have had to wait 2-5days as well. Again, thank you kindly. And yes, I noticed it when doing brake job. I also caused it or at least I caused the piston to pop out I belive and as a result trying to get it back on in a agitated mindset I'm sure was the root cause of it all. when doing the break job. I used to love to play tennis, but I guess like anything as soon as you get pissed your game is done an its never been more true for doing mechanical work. I sure wish I held those wrenches, lights etc for my father a bit longer in life during my formative years.