RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

60,000 miles list

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 01:19 PM
pam1980
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60,000 miles list

Have a 2013. Been doing the oil changes/oil filter, engine and air filter without going to dealer. I see that the 60k maintenance is a big deal. I want to find a place in the DC metro area that can help do select things listed below (anyone from this area know where it could be done?). Don't want to go in to dealer and ask for the 60k service as I can't afford it at this time.

Assuming we take care of the rotation (free at costco), oil change, oil, engine, air, filter changes and smart key battery replacement, would the following suffice at 60k:
Replace brake fluid
Replace transmission fluid
Replace rear differential fluid
Fill coolant as needed
Drive belt replacement??

Am I missing anything? There are a bunch of inspections listed in the manual. I worry about those. Probably 5 mins needed for the list of 10 or so inspections ie brake lines, rotors, exhaust pipes etc. but don't want to spend $$$ that would cost.

I think spark plugs and timing belt replaced at 90k right?

Comments, suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-18-18, 06:05 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Transfer case. Front diff is part of transmission, no worries there.
I'd go for very good quality gear oil, synthetic, maybe Amsoil, and be good for another 60-100 000 miles on them.
Serpentine belt? Too early but if you want to...
I'd drain radiator and refill with fresh coolant.
Not sure about brake fluid. Make sure you actually can DIY bleeding, as you have brake by wire car, hence, it may require Techstream. Is brake fluid dark in canister? I'd keep it safe, suck it out from it, refill with fresh, drive for a thousand or so miles, suck/refill again. Let it naturally cycle through. I don't like messing with brake actuator... and ABS block.
Brake pads?
Old 08-19-18, 09:37 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Re: brake fluid. When I took our 2015 RX to the dealer for the 30K maintenance, the service writer stated that the brake fluid ONLY needed changing if we a) did a lot of mountain driving where we braked a lot or b) towed a trailer or boat. Otherwise we could wait until the 60K maintenance. Therefore, you may consider changing the brake fluid if it wasn't done at 30K, or if you do either of the above. The concern is that "heavy" braking will break down the fluid cuz it gets too hot too often.
Old 08-19-18, 11:48 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pam1980
Have a 2013. Been doing the oil changes/oil filter, engine and air filter without going to dealer. I see that the 60k maintenance is a big deal. I want to find a place in the DC metro area that can help do select things listed below (anyone from this area know where it could be done?). Don't want to go in to dealer and ask for the 60k service as I can't afford it at this time.

Assuming we take care of the rotation (free at costco), oil change, oil, engine, air, filter changes and smart key battery replacement, would the following suffice at 60k:
Replace brake fluid
Replace transmission fluid
Replace rear differential fluid
Fill coolant as needed
Drive belt replacement??

Am I missing anything? There are a bunch of inspections listed in the manual. I worry about those. Probably 5 mins needed for the list of 10 or so inspections ie brake lines, rotors, exhaust pipes etc. but don't want to spend $$$ that would cost.

I think spark plugs and timing belt replaced at 90k right?

Comments, suggestions appreciated.
I'm a bit confused...are you hauling a trailer or something on a regular basis? Because I'm looking at my official 2013 maintenance book, and at 60k you do NOT need to do differential fluid or transmission fluid, the basic list is much simpler (oil change, brake fluid). If you haul a trailer, then you have to do that extra stuff.
All you need to do is change the oil, retorque the drive shaft nuts and bolts, replace a/c filter, replace brake fluid...and a few visible inspections...should be inexpensive.
Two recommendations: 1) go to a Toyota dealer, and 2) do NOT ask for the "60k service," rather just delineate what specific things you want done, which is a pretty simple list that will not cost much money if you're at an honest dealer.

Last edited by budwom; 08-19-18 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 12:41 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Transfer case. Front diff is part of transmission, no worries there.
I'd go for very good quality gear oil, synthetic, maybe Amsoil, and be good for another 60-100 000 miles on them.
Serpentine belt? Too early but if you want to...
I'd drain radiator and refill with fresh coolant.
Not sure about brake fluid. Make sure you actually can DIY bleeding, as you have brake by wire car, hence, it may require Techstream. Is brake fluid dark in canister? I'd keep it safe, suck it out from it, refill with fresh, drive for a thousand or so miles, suck/refill again. Let it naturally cycle through. I don't like messing with brake actuator... and ABS block.
Brake pads?
Ah, no. Brake fluid does not cycle like power steering fluid. That is not a way to change the brake fluid.
Old 08-20-18, 03:14 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Tighten all nuts and bolts on the chassis to spec.
Check 12 volt battery - actually get a battery test done
Old 08-21-18, 03:45 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 08-21-18, 10:33 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

^ yup, no need to mess with transmission or differential fluids if you aren't towing a bunch of weight...I have to say I've been very happy with the simplicity of my 2013's maintenance schedule, and the reasonable prices from my Toyota dealer.
Old 08-22-18, 08:58 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by budwom
^ yup, no need to mess with transmission or differential fluids if you aren't towing a bunch of weight...I have to say I've been very happy with the simplicity of my 2013's maintenance schedule, and the reasonable prices from my Toyota dealer.
I have a different opinion on the transmission (or in this case Transaxle). I think you have to do a drain and fill at the least. Otherwise, your life-time oil in there will just last the "life time" of the car. In Lexus speak, that would be some time after the warranty runs out.
Old 08-22-18, 12:41 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I have a different opinion on the transmission (or in this case Transaxle). I think you have to do a drain and fill at the least. Otherwise, your life-time oil in there will just last the "life time" of the car. In Lexus speak, that would be some time after the warranty runs out.
If this discussion starts again, I hope the mods shut it down immediately.
Old 08-22-18, 09:27 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll try to sum up the FACTS of the transmission fluid debate so that another opinionated discussion is not needed. You can use them to draw your own conclusions.
Lexus claims the transmission fluid to be lifetime.
"Lifetime" means the lifetime of the transmission.
Lexus does not say how long that lifetime is, or whether the lifetime could be extended if you were to change the fluid.
Some Lexus dealers recommend changing the fluid
Some Lexus dealers do not have the equipment or refuse to change the fluid.
The Lexus maintenance schedule states that the transmission fluid should be changed at 60,000 miles intervals if you are ""Towing a trailer, using a car-top carrier or heavy vehicle loading."
The Haynes Repair Manual recommends all owners change the transmission fluid at 60,000 mile intervals regardless of use.

There is a special procedure to check the transmission fluid level, since there is no dipstick.
If you do change the transmission fluid, it is recommended to drain and fill, not flush.
Only about 2 liters of fluid drains out, so you will have to perform about 5 or 6 separate drain and fills before the majority of the fluid has been replaced.
Old 11-14-18, 10:18 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 60k service

2013 AWD model - Looking to drain and fill antifreeze, steering fluid, brake fluid, front + rear differentials, and tranny, with OEM fluids.

Does anyone know OEM fluid name and capacity needed?

Does auto tranny have a filter that needs to be replaced?
Old 11-14-18, 11:57 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kostyan
2013 AWD model - Looking to drain and fill antifreeze, steering fluid, brake fluid, front + rear differentials, and tranny, with OEM fluids.

Does anyone know OEM fluid name and capacity needed?

Does auto tranny have a filter that needs to be replaced?
I thought we replace coolant at 100K miles.
don't we have electric steering? (no fluid)
The following users liked this post:
Kostyan (11-20-18)
Old 11-14-18, 03:06 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Kostyan - Look in your owners manual as all that info is there, or at the lexus owners site
Or look here as the Highlander is a mechanical twin - https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...fications.html

Power steering is electric.
Antifreeze is 10 years or (maybe) 100,000 miles. Must use Toyota Red long life coolant - confirm at Toyota Nation site
Brake Fluid is same as any other DOT3 /4 brake fluid
Transmission fluid is Toyota WS, which is a low viscosity fluid, it is also used in the transfer case. There is no separate front differential, it is part of the transmission and thus runs on ATF.
I have done several transmission drain and fills using MAG 1 synthetic low viscosity automatic transmission fluid and think my transmission shifts better than on WS. Do a search as there are a couple of threads on this and how to do it.
https://mag1.com/products/transmissi...mission-fluid/
Rear differential takes 75w90 or similar synthetic gear oil. I used Mobil 1. No reason to use OEM gear oil as it is probably not synthetic.
I think the front differential is part of the transmission, but confirm at the Toyota Nation site.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-14-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 09:19 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutcheless,
Just talked to local Lexus dealer. You may be mistaken about the ATF fluid used in transfer case, please double check that info. He told me that transfer case uses the same oil as rear differential, though. You are correct about front differential shares the oil with transmission. btw Lexus parts said rear diff and transfer case uses 75w85 and not 75w90 like you suggested. I personally do not care for after market fluids and will only stick to OEM. Gotta find that owners manual somewhere around the house lol.

To those that are still looking, here are some part #s to help cross-shop for a better deal:
- ATF fluid, Part 0039ATFWS.
- Coolant. Part 00272SLLC

Quick Reply: 60,000 miles list