RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 09:00 AM
Michael013
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed!

Hi everyone! I found this place on google and i'd like to ask you an advice and about your RX experience
Planning to buy an RX for my wife 2010-2012/60-80k miles
My questions are:
*RX350 vs RX450h
Does the hybrid engine save that much on MPG? Or saving's not worth over engine issues that might happen at this mileage?
*What do i expect from the car at this mileage? What do i need to check on the first place before buying it? Brakes, suspension? Any other compartments?
*Does it worth buying a car at this mileage? It's a "known fact" that Lexus engine can live long, is it?
*I'm placing RX350 over RX450h, but would like to hear your oppinion
Any other experience, bad/good with this models at this year or/and mileage is welcome!
Thanks
Old 07-08-18, 07:15 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I owned Highlander Hybrid Limited, 2012, bought at 62 000 miles, sold at 98 600. It's a STELLAR car. I averaged 30 mpg and it's regular gas. Same poer trian, why RX has to be on Premium, have no idea. Will gas savings (wife has 2011 RX350 and averages 18.5-20) outweigh anything - is up to you to decide.
Hybrid power train is VERY reliable. That's why hybrid sections here and at say toyotanation are so lame. Not much going wrong.
Why then I rid of my Highlander? Unfortunately, it landed with two accidents in two months, and I am very superstitious.. I don't like driving cars sending me warnings. Plus, it developed absolutely weird shake rolling at speeds between 25 - 35 mph. Very annoying. But I saw only 2 or 3 reposts of similar problem, so it's rather odd. That's why I pulled the plug. Otherwise, great car. Great hybrid power train.
Old 07-08-18, 04:21 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael013
Hi everyone! I found this place on google and i'd like to ask you an advice and about your RX experience
My questions are:
*RX350 vs RX450h
Does the hybrid engine save that much on MPG? Or saving's not worth over engine issues that might happen at this mileage?
*What do i expect from the car at this mileage? What do i need to check on the first place before buying it? Brakes, suspension? Any other compartments?
*Does it worth buying a car at this mileage? It's a "known fact" that Lexus engine can live long, is it?
Any other experience, bad/good with this models at this year or/and mileage is welcome!
Thanks
It depends on what your driving habits are. If you drive mostly on the highways, the mpg saving isn't worth it because the gas powered engine has to be on in order to keep up at highway speeds.

But if you live in city and drive mostly in stop and go traffic, the mpg savings and the reduced brake wear because of teh regenerative braking system may be worth it.

And yes Lexus engines can live for a very long time and are bulletproof maintenance wise. Parts are cheap since they share a lot with the Toyotas
Old 07-09-18, 09:18 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 481 Likes on 335 Posts

Yup, what other guys said. Substantial improvement in city mileage, very little at highway speeds. No difference in reliability.

Driving characteristics are a bit different. No transmission shifting on hybrid so acceleration is more like a power boat, and tends to be a bit smoother, but some traditionalists prefer feeling and hearing transmission shifts. Braking a little difference because there are small but detectable transitions from regenerative to mechanical braking. Some don't like the subtle but audible generator whine during regenerative braking.
Old 07-09-18, 09:33 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Droid13 summed it up beautifully.

When vehicles roll off assembly line, they tend to fall with-in a spread from each other. As they are used they start becoming 'individual machines" .. based on care and usage. All used 350s will not be the same and all used 450Hs will not be the same. I would test each and determine if that vehicle is what you like. When you test, try to test in the environment that you would drive it. With a few weekends invested, you can figure out the prevailing prices and condition and models. Dont forget to check out the FWD and AWD models too. By that time set the median price you are willing to pay and jump when the right vehicle comes your way. All this helps when you are not in a desperate situation where you needed a vehicle yesterday.

During evening hours you can browse CL to see what owners have to say about the brand and model. Also never buy without knowing the history of the vehicle.

Salim
Old 07-09-18, 11:06 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 2010 RX450h. About 85K miles now, I've had it for almost 2 years. I love the fluid non-shift power delivery and really enjoy the silence at traffic lights. City mileage will be in the high-20's, same as highway mileage, though city mileage will be much lower than that if you do lots of very short trips with gaps in-between (stellar mileage only after engine is warmed up, in other words). The "transmission" is nothing but a couple of planetary gearsets, not the belts and cones normally associated with the CVT concept.

Premium gas gives a touch more power but you'll never notice the difference. It's for the brochure specs. The engine will be perfectly happy on regular.

Last edited by riredale; 07-09-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 11:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We have a RX450h.

The mpg savings with the RX450h will take something in the orders of 12 years plus to break even for the average driver.

We bought the RX450h vs the RX350 for reasons other than mpg. We liked the firmer ride and the refined quiteness of the RX450h better vs the RX350.

Originally Posted by Michael013
My questions are:
*RX350 vs RX450h
Thanks