RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

factory tint = just privacy glass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 08:56 AM
T-Rex
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default factory tint = just privacy glass?

My wife has an 2013 RX350. As it's summer now, and we're in TX, she's asking me to look into window tint. The last car i had it tinted was our 2011 Toyota Sienna. When I was doing research on that vehicle, I believe the information found online was the rear windows have the so called factory tint, which is really just privacy glass as it's just dark colored glass for security purpose, rather than serving the purpose of preventing UV damage. As there's little UV protection if any, thus the reason I had all the windows tinted on that Sienna. I had used 35% for front 2 sides, and 50% over the factory on the back.

This being another Toyota built, I'm assuming the factory tint has little to no UV protection, so it's just a privacy glass again? Trying to find some info online, so looking for help who has experience or expertise in the automotive glass industry to confirm?

Bottom line is that to do film tint for the front 2 windows, it's about quarter of the cost of doing the full car. So if I don't have to, I rather just tint the front 2 side windows and be done with. Also, the lightest film that the local tint shop has is 50%, so if it's 50% over the factory for the rear, that's like making it about 10% (assuming factory is about 20% to begin with), which is a bit dark for night time driving.
Old 06-21-18, 11:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I wonder if information about Lexus privacy glass on the following Australian website is accurate.

https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/as...20111005-1la2t

I suppose you could ask Lexus corporate.
Old 06-21-18, 01:57 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Texas law [which may vary between counties] but they are most likely the same when it gets to window tinting. At annual checking, the inspector will run the check for driver and front passenger side glass. Tinting place would leave a decal stating that it meets a certain spec. It is unto the owner to make sure it does meet your county requirements.

Rear passengers can have a heavy tint.

UV is altogether a different thing. Please check, but last I read somewhere RX has UV {high 90's) protection builtin, [I could be for the 450H].

Salim
Old 06-21-18, 04:40 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In the 2013 Lexus product info sheet it says the car has, "Rear privacy glass" and "UV-reducing glass used for all windows"
As far as how much protection that is I don't know...
Another member got a response to the UV level. Here's a link to that thread

Basically, member stw2046 said,
"...I specifically asked for UVA/UVB protection level and they came back with this...
We appreciate your inquiry regarding the UV protection on the 2010 RX 350. Below are the specifications on the UV glass protection:

- Front windshield: 100%
- Sliding roof: 95.4%
- Front doors: 100%
- Rear doors: 95.4%
- Rear quarter: 94.1%
- Back door: 94.1%....."

This site shows tint laws for each state: Window Tint Laws For Every State
Around here you can tint the back and rear windows, but can only pretty much have factory tint on the front windows. I normally tint my rear and back windows dark, but then I tint my front windows as well... I just do it a couple shades lighter so it looks like the front windows are still just factory tinted when compared to the darker ones in the rear... I've never been stopped. It's when the car has limo tint all the way around that you're gonna get stopped... Here at least.
Old 06-21-18, 06:46 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex
As it's summer now, and we're in TX, she's asking me to look into window tint.
You might want to look at heat rejection as well as UV protection and light transmission level.
Old 06-22-18, 08:26 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

We have a 2015 and tinted the 2nd row and rear glass with 20% tint and made a huge difference in heat rejection. Keep in mind windows end up being darker (which we wanted) and could be considered limo tint. I preferred the privacy which made it difficult to see inside if anything was in the back seat or trunk. When I asked about adding 35%, was advised it would not make much difference so went with 20% carbon. We do have 35% on the front windows.
Old 06-23-18, 05:30 AM
Greenlawn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rex
My wife has an 2013 RX350. As it's summer now, and we're in TX, she's asking me to look into window tint. The last car i had it tinted was our 2011 Toyota Sienna. When I was doing research on that vehicle, I believe the information found online was the rear windows have the so called factory tint, which is really just privacy glass as it's just dark colored glass for security purpose, rather than serving the purpose of preventing UV damage. As there's little UV protection if any, thus the reason I had all the windows tinted on that Sienna. I had used 35% for front 2 sides, and 50% over the factory on the back.

This being another Toyota built, I'm assuming the factory tint has little to no UV protection, so it's just a privacy glass again? Trying to find some info online, so looking for help who has experience or expertise in the automotive glass industry to confirm?

Bottom line is that to do film tint for the front 2 windows, it's about quarter of the cost of doing the full car. So if I don't have to, I rather just tint the front 2 side windows and be done with. Also, the lightest film that the local tint shop has is 50%, so if it's 50% over the factory for the rear, that's like making it about 10% (assuming factory is about 20% to begin with), which is a bit dark for night time driving.
I believe all factory tinted glass is privacy glass only. My wife's 4Runner offered no heat protection at all. I recently had the windows tinted, and they put a lighter tint in the rear to make all four windows match.