RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 03:44 PM
Gio2499
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights

Hello guys. I bought rx450h and it has halogen is there any way to install HID headlights not only convert bulb but also change full halogen headlight to HID one.
Old 02-17-18, 07:41 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio2499
Hello guys. I bought rx450h and it has halogen is there any way to install HID headlights not only convert bulb but also change full halogen headlight to HID one.
There are retrofit kits that are available. To get a fully functioning HID, you will need additional self leveling mechanism (which starts becoming cost prohibitive as you have to change not only the bulb, but the housing as well and add level sensors) .. You may like to trade in yours for a HID equipped vehicle.

Give it a serious thought as to why you want HID after the purchase. Is it for the appearance (looks cool), better vision at night. Better vision is a relative term and the easy retrofit comes at the cost of blinding on-coming drivers. You can opt for ultrabrights ... just make sure you do not go too far on the wattage side. Ultrabites do have a shorter life.

Note: Dont get me wrong .. HIDs provide better light, but there is nothing wrong with halogens. I would suggest HID if you get the housing with the right cut-off (leveling) and focus.

Salim
Old 02-17-18, 11:17 PM
Gio2499
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for answer. But i dont want to change only halogen to HID. I want to replace halogen Headlight to HID one. Not just bulbs but also full headlight. Is it possible?
Old 02-17-18, 11:27 PM
Gio2499
Driver School Candidate

I have first ones. but i want to install seconds that are already with xenon. Is it possible?
Old 02-18-18, 10:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Gio2499
Thanks for answer. But i dont want to change only halogen to HID. I want to replace halogen Headlight to HID one. Not just bulbs but also full headlight. Is it possible?
Of course it can be done. Do you have the skills needed to interpret electrical diagrams, the ability and tools required to fabricate electrical harness, test electrical circuits and reproduce electrical connectors that are not readily available? Are you comfortable with disassembling the front of your RX (e.g. removing the front bumper cover) and crawling under your RX to install fabricated components? Do you fully understand how OEM discharge headlights differ from OEM halogen headlights?

If all the answers are "Yes" then dive right in and do it.

People I know have sometimes expressed shock and disbelief at the vehicle modification projects I've done but I've had lots of practice over 50+ years including almost completely disassembling vehicles during restoration and rebuilding engines. I'm not a "pro" but that hasn't stopped me. If you have the time, an attention to detail and the "*****", then you should be able to do it.

That said, I have seen only one forum thread where someone was totally successful in installing an OEM HID headlight system on a vehicle made by Toyota that came with halogen headlights. The guy that did that was an electrical engineer and the vehicle was a Toyota Sienna XLE. That project was perhaps easier due to the beam level control for OEM Sienna Limited HID headlights being a manual switch/dial on the dashboard instead of being automatic and controlled by sensors attached to the suspension which is usually the way it's done on Lexus brand vehicles.

If you are comfortable doing the kind of vehicle disassembly I did three weeks ago on the Toyota brand vehicle as shown in the attached photo, then jump right in and do your project. You will likely have to do similar front end disassembly for your RX450h OEM HID system installation. Like many of my car projects, this one involved fabrication of electrical harnesses and even having one component custom made by a guy in Australia.

I don't remember ever retrofitting an OEM vehicle component or system that I could have had if only I had bought a vehicle that had it factory installed. When we want a vehicle with OEM HID or LED headlights, that is what we buy. I don't try to add it later since it's never cost effective. The only features/components that I add to vehicles after the purchase are features that are not available in the U.S. market and virtually all of them are related to safety.
Attached Thumbnails Headlights-headlight-washer-pump-location.jpg