RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My windshield wiper blades freeze up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 03:28 PM
ljakubowsk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My windshield wiper blades freeze up.

Lexus 2010 RX450H
How can we get the windshield wiper blades from freezing with ice and snow in a storm ? This has been the one disappointment with this vehicle. It is dangerous as it prohibits the wipers from working properly to clear the windshield while driving. Please help
Old 01-04-18, 06:33 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Hearing from a Texan ...
raise the wipers away from the glass (wash) position before parking.
Stick newspaper [if you get one and recycle or just keep some craft paper or painters-paper] underneath the wiper blades.

Salim

Add-on:
Just realized the issue is WHILE DRIVING in Snow.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-05-18 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Add-on
Old 01-05-18, 02:14 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Usually the front windshield defrost feature works wonders. But may take a little while to kick in.

If you are already going, then the engine should be warmed up and ready to go.

Also I think the front windshield is "electrified" with electrical heating elements at the bottom and gets instantly warm once you hit the button to turn it on (but if it's frozen then it may still take a while to melt the ice). So I think if there is any concerns with this while driving, then it's best to leave the front windshield defrost feature turned on.

Originally Posted by ljakubowsk
Lexus 2010 RX450H
How can we get the windshield wiper blades from freezing with ice and snow in a storm ? This has been the one disappointment with this vehicle. It is dangerous as it prohibits the wipers from working properly to clear the windshield while driving. Please help
Old 01-05-18, 02:29 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Put one of the windshield rain repellent coatings on and the wipers will be less likely to stick, plus you will see better in the rain & snow. Several brands are available such as Rain-X, Aquapell, Enduroshield, Rainbrella etc
Available at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart.
Put it on all the windows and they will be much easier to scrape.
Old 01-05-18, 04:29 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ljakubowsk
Lexus 2010 RX450H
If you mean the build up on the left side and bottom of the windshield as you drive in a storm, all I've figured out over the years is to pull over and clear it off or stay at home and don't drive in a snow storm

Have to ask, what were you driving before and did it not have the same problem? Every winter car I've had in the last 30 years has had the problem, although winter wiper blades do help a little.
Old 01-05-18, 04:34 PM
tus
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Also I think the front windshield is "electrified" with electrical heating elements at the bottom and gets instantly warm once you hit the button to turn it on (but if it's frozen then it may still take a while to melt the ice). So I think if there is any concerns with this while driving, then it's best to leave the front windshield defrost feature turned on.
With the amount of snow they're getting out east right now and having driven through many storms in southern/central WI and northern IL I think the problem is the electric heating of the glass and defroster just can't keep up with the snow being piled on it.
Old 01-05-18, 09:52 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I tend to agree that if the snow storm is that bad, stay put.

Unless you are in emergency rescue team or something similar, I would stay put at home until it all clears up.

Originally Posted by tus
If you mean the build up on the left side and bottom of the windshield as you drive in a storm, all I've figured out over the years is to pull over and clear it off or stay at home and don't drive in a snow storm

Have to ask, what were you driving before and did it not have the same problem? Every winter car I've had in the last 30 years has had the problem, although winter wiper blades do help a little.
Old 01-06-18, 07:31 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Wipers defrost is optional, not sure if everyone has it.
Old 01-06-18, 08:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Wipers defrost is optional, not sure if everyone has it.
I doubt that the wiper de-icer was available on the gen 3 RX sold in the U.S. since it was not mentioned in the U.S. gen 3 RX sales brochure. It is, however, shown as being standard in the sales brochures for the gen 3 RX sold in Canada.

The windshield wiper de-icer is not standard on the U.S. market gen 4 (2016-up) RX either but at least it is included in the optional "Cold Weather Package" like it also is for the current U.S. market GS and LS. The de-icer is standard on the Canadian market GS and LS.

I've never understood why Toyota can't put a windshield wiper de-icer heating element on all vehicles it makes for sale in the U.S. They are pretty darned simple, very effective and can't cost much to add - see the attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails My windshield wiper blades freeze up.-new-windshield-wiper-blade-heating-grid.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 01-06-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 09:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

That's interesting.

I'll have to check on my RX450h and other Lexi's.

I know for sure that my CT200h got this bc when I changed the windshield the VIN numbers called for such and there were ELECTRICAL connections at the bottom of the windshield.

Originally Posted by Kansas
I doubt that the wiper de-icer was available on the gen 3 RX sold in the U.S. since it was not mentioned in the U.S. gen 3 RX sales brochure. It is, however, shown as being standard in the sales brochures for the gen 3 RX sold in Canada.

The windshield wiper de-icer is not standard on the U.S. market gen 4 (2016-up) RX either but at least it is included in the optional "Cold Weather Package" like it also is for the current U.S. market GS and LS. The de-icer is standard on the Canadian market GS and LS.

I've never understood why Toyota can't put a windshield wiper de-icer heating element on all vehicles it makes for sale in the U.S. They are pretty darned simple, very effective and can't cost much to add - see the attached photo.
Old 01-07-18, 08:22 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I know for sure that my CT200h got this bc when I changed the windshield the VIN numbers called for such and there were ELECTRICAL connections at the bottom of the windshield.
Well that certainly calls into question whether sales brochures always contain information about the presence of a wiper de-icer feature. The CT200h sales brochures for the U.S. or Canada market do not mention a wiper de-icer but windshields with and without the de-icer are clearly shown in the parts list descriptions.

Maybe the only way to verify whether a gen 3 RX has a wiper de-icer is to remove the wiper arms and the plastic cowl cover and check for the presence of a de-icer electrical cable at the bottom center of the windshield.

Here is a parts diagram for the 2015 U.S. market RX assembled in Canada which also references some Canada market features. The heated windshields are labeled "CANADA SPEC" but maybe that isn't conclusive.
Attached Thumbnails My windshield wiper blades freeze up.-2015-lexus-rx-windshield-parts.jpg  
Old 01-07-18, 11:27 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Our '13 Rx350 has heating element at the bottom of the windshield
you turn it on by using the rear window defrost / mirror switch
Old 02-04-22, 08:14 AM
rmaynardr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Windshield Wiper Icing?

Replace the trash L*xus wiper blades with Bosch Icon winter blades. Problem solved!
The following users liked this post:
quiggs (11-22-23)
Old 02-05-22, 06:47 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I use GM "Optikleen" washer solvent. Mix 2/3 water to 1/3 Optikleen. Gives superior cold weather operation of wiper blades. I tested it the other day at 2 degrees F. (actual temp) Available at most GM parts departments. FYI, heated windshields were only available for RX's spec for Canada. (Standard equipment)

Best,

Tom
Old 02-06-22, 11:22 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

I use the purple Rain-X and it works great for Northern New Jersey Winters. There’s always so much salt on the parkway that you need to constantly spray the windshield so that you can see anyway. The de-icing fluid works great at keeping the wipers clear. My previous RX, and ES had the heated pad under the wipers but it was honestly kinda useless. I always warm up the car so the regular defroster heats up the glass anyway.

Last edited by ellocovg; 02-06-22 at 11:36 AM.