RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Occasional Metallic Jingling Sound on Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 05:16 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional Metallic Jingling Sound on Driver's Side

Hello everyone,

I've got a 2014 RX350 F-Sport and over the past few months noticed an occasional 'jingling' sound coming from the front, driver's side of the vehicle. I occasionally hear a metallic sound, similar to a metal washer jiggling on top of a metal bolt or something, when I'm going over rough pavement that kind of vibrates the car (i.e. rough roads on the freeway and even at lower speeds where the road is not smooth). This doesn't seem to occur on big bumps, dips, or anything like that...just shaky, loud, rough pavement.

The jingling doesn't last a long time and is only sporadic during these conditions, but it is definitely something I notice.

I thought I figured it out to be the small cotter pin that's attached to the brake pedal assembly down below, but I'm not sure that that's it...

Any ideas to what might be causing this?

Thank you!
-Charlie

Last edited by pianomanca; 12-23-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 06:32 PM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strat mount?
Also please check dog bond mount.

Last edited by camlex; 12-23-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 08:20 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply, Camlex! I'm pretty sure it's inside the vehicle... It still might be that cotter pin, but I'm not sure...
Old 12-23-17, 08:44 PM
camlex
Rookie

A/C servo motors:
1. Blend servo
2. Mode servo
Old 12-23-17, 08:49 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Thank you again, Camlex, for your response! How would you suggest would be the best way to check this? I'm not sure of the difference between the blend and mode servo. My car is still under warranty (CPO for over 2 more years), so if I can figure out what it is, they might be able to do something.
Old 12-23-17, 08:53 PM
camlex
Rookie

Since you have warranty, let them figure out.
Blend servo mix a/c and heat to give you correct temp in cabin.
Mode servo set the flow direction, (depend on set point) like heat comes through bottom. etc.
Old 12-23-17, 08:56 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, Camlex! So I should point them in the direction of the servos? What part of those would cause the metallic jingling sound, in case they ask? Thank you again for your input.
Old 12-23-17, 09:01 PM
camlex
Rookie

I just explain them that you hearing some metallic jingling sound near/under steering wheel, sound like servo motors, will you please check and fix it.
Hope that helps.
Old 12-23-17, 09:02 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Thank you again, Camlex...Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-17, 09:11 PM
camlex
Rookie

Same to you, family and friends along with our Lexus family.
Old 12-24-17, 12:24 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

I poked around some more and did some experimenting to see if it might be the servos as suggested by Camlex (thank you again!), but I'm doubtful it's those either. Adjusting the temperature up/down and the airflow while the car is on doesn't make any abnormal noises...

I saw this video (
), and it seems like something like this (loose screw/washer) might be the culprit, so I took off the piece under the knee airbags and also checked all reachable screws/washers, but the ones I could get to are all snug. I'm scared to take off anything more (i.e. knee airbag cover, etc.) than the left side cover, which I also checked...

It really does sound like an occasional jingling from a loose washer somewhere on the driver's side interior, but I just can't put my finger on it...
Old 12-24-17, 12:34 PM
camlex
Rookie

I can tell its really upsetting you, best thing to do is take to dealer since you have warranty.
Old 12-24-17, 12:42 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Haha I probably will bring it in and see if they can duplicate it. Here's a poor video where you can barely make it out but in the first 10-15 seconds, you can hear the faint rattle. Sometimes it's much louder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bl1f0ague..._2534.MOV?dl=0
Old 12-24-17, 12:46 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again, Camlex!
Old 12-26-17, 07:23 AM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

I think my wife figured it out, and it embarrasses me to admit what we think it turned out to be. During our drive to my parent's house, the occasional metallic jingling sound happened again on rough pavement and I started out on the intensive search to figure out the culprit, when my wife pulled out my keys that I instinctively and consistently set in the lower part of the center console whenever I drive (on the black plastic near our feet, where the power outlet is). After removing those, no more noise. I can't believe this has been driving me crazy for the past ~6 months, and it turned out it was my keys. :P

I feel pretty dumb, but glad that we finally figured it out. Thank you again, Camlex, for all of your help, and for teaching me what servos are! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to you all!

Quick Reply: Occasional Metallic Jingling Sound on Driver's Side