RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-17, 11:06 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !

Hi guys

My 2011 RX passenger side mirror's camera has become crazy for a month. Usually whenever speed is lower than 8mph, the side camera automatically turned on, but now it just randomly stop working - only blank screen. It happened when I left the car overnight or just few hours, I tried to "fix" it by folding the mirrors, changing the setting (Automatic Change Screen : On/Off) in the General menu , it sounds silly but sometimes it does make the cam works again but mostly it doesnt ! I have checked the wiring of the cam and everything is connected properly.

I did a diagnostic self test on lexus's hidden menu, all camera signal's working perfectly. So what could be the reason of the intermittent work/blank screen of my side camera ? Any help would be appreciated !

Ps: Anybody know how to reset the Parking assist system ?

Ps: I have attached a picture of the camera itself
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !-img_1830.jpg  

Last edited by aladdin; 12-18-17 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 09:22 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

Oh come on, nobody has experienced this before ?
Old 12-17-17, 10:54 AM
farsiderx
Driver School Candidate

I think we might be confused as to what specific feature you are speaking of. Can you clarify what you mean by the "passenger side mirror's camera"?
Old 12-18-17, 04:25 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

Oh my bad buddy, what I mean is the camera in the passenger side mirror , this is it
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !-img_1830.jpg  
Old 12-18-17, 07:06 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Not sure what you are talking about. My 2015 does not have cameras in the mirrors.
Old 12-18-17, 03:26 PM
farsiderx
Driver School Candidate

We are still not sure what feature you are referencing. The only cars with a camera in the side mirror (that I am aware of) is the Honda's that have the lane watch feature.
Old 12-18-17, 03:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The wide view side cameras were found on early 3rd gen RXs with the luxury package. It helps see the curb while parallel parking. The feature was dropped beginning with 2013 MY.

aladdin, after reading through this thread, there's conflicting information about whether park assist is related to the side view mirror camera operation. And not being familiar with the feature, unfortunately I can't offer any possible cause for the problems you're experiencing. Please keep us posted if you figure it out. Good luck.

Last edited by kitlz; 12-18-17 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 10:08 AM
danikas
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello there
i have the same car with the side camera assist ,it looks like a lose cable from camera to the OUTER MIRROR CONTROL ECU ASSEMBLY ,so i would suggest for start , striped your mirror and chk cables and plugs on the camera as well as the connection from/to the
  1. OUTER MIRROR CONTROL ECU ASSEMBLY
Old 12-19-17, 10:21 AM
danikas
Driver School Candidate

SIDE MONITOR SYSTEM > Image from Camera for Side Monitor is Abnormal[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png[/IMG]for Preparation Click here
DESCRIPTIONThe display signal from the side television camera assembly is transmitted to the multi-display assembly via the parking assist ECU.

WIRING DIAGRAM
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png[/IMG]

INSPECTION PROCEDURENOTICE:· When "System initializing" is displayed on the multi-display after the cable is disconnected from the negative (-) battery terminal, correct the steering angle neutral point (Click here).· Depending on the parts that are replaced or operations that are performed during vehicle inspection or maintenance, calibration of other systems as well as the side monitor system may be needed (Click here).HINT:Images are difficult to discern even in normal conditions if:· Noise may occur in the image while adjusting or retracting the outer rear view mirror assembly (passenger side).· Noise may occur in the image depending on electrical devices used in the cabin.· Noise may occur in the image if accessories that generate radio waves have been installed.· The camera screen is frosted over (the image immediately after turning the power switch on (IG) may be blurred or darker than normal).· The camera lens is dirty with snow, mud, etc.· A strong beam of light, such as a sunbeam or headlight, hits the camera.· It is too dark around the camera (at night etc.).· The ambient temperature around the camera is either too high or too low.· The vehicle is tilted at a steep angle.· The ambience of the camera is too bright. (When a strong light, such as a sunbeam reflected off the vehicle body, hits the camera, the image may be blurred. This is called the "SMEAR" phenomenon, peculiar to the CCD camera.)1.CHECK HARNESS AND CONNECTOR (PARKING ASSIST ECU - OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSEMBLY)

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.png[/IMG]a. Disconnect the F55 connector from the parking assist ECU.

b. for LHD:

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.png[/IMG] i. Disconnect the I1 connector from the outer rear view mirror assembly RH. ii. Measure the resistance according to the value(s) in the table below.Standard Resistance:Tester ConnectionConditionSpecified ConditionF55-15 (SCV-) - I1-2 (SCV-)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-16 (SCV+) - I1-1 (SCV+)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-17 (SGND) - I1-5 (SGND)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-18 (SCB+) - I1-4 (SCB+)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-15 (SCV-) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherF55-16 (SCV+) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherF55-17 (SGND) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherF55-18 (SCB+) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higher

c. for RHD:

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image005.png[/IMG] i. Disconnect the J11 connector from the outer rear view mirror assembly LH. ii. Measure the resistance according to the value(s) in the table below.Standard Resistance:Tester ConnectionConditionSpecified ConditionF55-15 (SCV-) - J11-2 (SCV-)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-16 (SCV+) - J11-1 (SCV+)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-17 (SGND) - J11-5 (SGND)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-18 (SCB+) - J11-4 (SCB+)AlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-15 (SCV-) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherF55-16 (SCV+) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherF55-17 (SGND) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherF55-18 (SCB+) - Body groundAlways10 kΩ or higherText in Illustration *1Front view of wire harness connector
(to Parking Assist ECU)
*2Front view of wire harness connector
(to Outer Rear View Mirror Assembly RH)
*3Front view of wire harness connector
(to Outer Rear View Mirror Assembly LH)

NG[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image007.png[/IMG]REPAIR OR REPLACE HARNESS OR CONNECTOR OK[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image009.png[/IMG] 2.CHECK PARKING ASSIST ECU (SCV-, SGND)

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image010.png[/IMG]a. Reconnect the F55 connector to the parking assist ECU.b. Measure the resistance according to the value(s) in the table below.Standard Resistance:Tester ConnectionConditionSpecified ConditionF55-15 (SCV-) - Body groundAlwaysBelow 1 ΩF55-17 (SGND) - Body groundAlwaysBelow 1 ΩText in Illustration *1Component with harness connected
(Parking Assist ECU)

NG[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image007.png[/IMG]REPLACE PARKING ASSIST ECU (Click here) OK[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image009.png[/IMG] 3.CHECK OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSEMBLY (SCB+, SGND)

a. for LHD: i. Disconnect the I1 connector from the outer rear view mirror assembly RH.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image011.png[/IMG] ii. Measure the voltage according to the value(s) in the table below.Standard Voltage:Tester ConnectionConditionSpecified ConditionI1-5 (SGND) - I1-4 (SCB+)Power switch on (IG)
Side monitor main switch on
5.8 to 7.0 V

b. for RHD: i. Disconnect the J11 connector from the outer rear view mirror assembly LH.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image012.png[/IMG] ii. Measure the voltage according to the value(s) in the table below.Standard Voltage:Tester ConnectionConditionSpecified ConditionJ11-5 (SGND) - J11-4 (SCB+)Power switch on (IG)
Side monitor main switch on
5.8 to 7.0 VText in Illustration *1Front view of wire harness connector
(to Outer Rear View Mirror Assembly RH)
*2Front view of wire harness connector
(to Outer Rear View Mirror Assembly LH)

NG[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image007.png[/IMG]REPLACE PARKING ASSIST ECU (Click here) OK[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image009.png[/IMG] 4.CHECK PARKING ASSIST ECU (SCV+, GND1) a. Reconnect the I1 or J11 connector to the outer rear view mirror assembly (passenger side).

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image013.png[/IMG]b. Reconnect the F54 and F55 connectors to the parking assist ECU.

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image014.png[/IMG]c. Check the waveform of the side television camera assembly using an oscilloscope.HINT:A waterproof connector is used for the side television camera assembly. Therefore, inspect the waveform at the parking assist ECU with the connector connected.OK:Waveform is as shown in the illustration.ItemContentTerminal No. (Symbol)F55-16 (SCV+) - F54-3 (GND1)Tool Setting200 mV/DIV., 50 μsec./DIV.ConditionPower switch on (IG), side monitor main switch onHINT:The video waveform changes according to the image sent by the side television camera assembly.Text in Illustration *1Component with harness connected
(Parking Assist ECU)
*2Waveform 1 (under normal conditions)*3Waveform 2 (camera lens is covered, blacking out the screen)*4Synchronized Signal*5Video Waveform
NG[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image016.png[/IMG]Go to step 5 OK[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image018.png[/IMG]PROCEED TO NEXT SUSPECTED AREA SHOWN IN PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE (Click here) 5.REPLACE SIDE TELEVISION CAMERA ASSEMBLYa. Replace the side television camera assembly with the new or normally functioning one (Click here).
NEXT[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image009.png[/IMG] 6.CONFIRM SYMPTOMSa. Check if the same malfunction recurs when the side monitor screen is displayed.Result:ResultProceed toMalfunction does not reoccur
(returns to normal)
AMalfunction reoccursB
B[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image007.png[/IMG]REPLACE OUTER REAR VIEW MIRROR ASSEMBLY (Click here) A[IMG]file:///C:\Users\arisd\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image018.png[/IMG]END
Old 12-20-17, 08:57 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
The wide view side cameras were found on early 3rd gen RXs with the luxury package. It helps see the curb while parallel parking. The feature was dropped beginning with 2013 MY.

aladdin, after reading through this thread, there's conflicting information about whether park assist is related to the side view mirror camera operation. And not being familiar with the feature, unfortunately I can't offer any possible cause for the problems you're experiencing. Please keep us posted if you figure it out. Good luck.

Yo kitlz, thanks for your clarification to other users, which I should have done that !

@danikas: Hey mate, could you please re-upload your pictures because they are seem to be broken , I was thinking of a lose cable as you described however last week I travelled about ~800 miles (the road condition were not so good, many speed bumps) and the side camera was working perfectly, but like 1-2 days after that it happened again, so I'm not really sure what is really the culprit here T_T
Old 12-20-17, 09:05 AM
danikas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aladdin
Yo kitlz, thanks for your clarification to other users, which I should have done that !

@danikas: Hey mate, could you please re-upload your pictures because they are seem to be broken , I was thinking of a lose cable as you described however last week I travelled about ~800 miles (the road condition were not so good, many speed bumps) and the side camera was working perfectly, but like 1-2 days after that it happened again, so I'm not really sure what is really the culprit here T_T
for some reason cant upload pictures from the schematics..
open and close the door a few times and see if it repeats the problem ....my money is on the door"s ecu that plugs in all the connectors including mirror and camera...chk also the steering wheel button of the side camera ,that it does not stick or something ...you have to trace the signal from the camera to ecu etc.Have you performed any diagnostics ?
cheers
Old 12-21-17, 08:37 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

I think your schematics file size are too big for this forum, could you please resize them and try again mate . I have my ECUs and connectors checked, all good. Also tried door open/close and mirror folding as you suggested but the cam was working fine , no signal lost. Is there anything to do with the firmware so ? I have not asked the dealer about firmware upgrading since I'm not really sure if its possible.
Attached Thumbnails Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !-25634886_931028333719906_351277577_o.jpg   Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !-25630636_930795190409887_1337813185_n.jpg   Intermittent on/off Passenger side mirror Camera !-25630443_930795187076554_732221411_n.jpg  
Old 12-21-17, 11:41 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the car is still under warranty I’d suggest letting the dealer fix the problem.
Old 12-22-17, 12:06 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by 4482
If the car is still under warranty I’d suggest letting the dealer fix the problem.
Unfortunately It's not T_T
Old 12-22-17, 08:29 AM
aladdin
Driver School Candidate

After few days working fine, it just happened again moment ago, blank screen !!! danikas could you please reupload your schematics, it might help me to get a clue because the level of madness for this camera is over 9000 , thanks.