RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to lighten steering effort

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 03:06 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default How to lighten steering effort

Mods: Not sure if this belongs to the hybrid discussion or regular 3 RX forum.

Is there a way to lighten up the effort to the turn the steering wheel on my 450h? I realize Lexus made the steering effort to make it feel like more like a BMW than a Buick. But I think they missed the mark if they were going for the traditional sports car feel with manual steering with good feedback. First, there is no feedback. Second, the old sports like BMW 3 series with manual steering started out "hard to turn" but as speeds increased from parking lot maneuvers, the steering lightened up considerably but nicely weighted. On our 450h, it's just tough to turn no matter what the speed.....

Whatever the engineer's preference may have been....... anyone know a way to lighten up the effort required to turn the steering wheel?
The following users liked this post:
Frenchman (05-18-18)
Old 09-16-17, 07:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

1. Get alignment checked to rule out any mechanical issues. I have had my 350 for several years and have no steering issues. It is numb but goes where you point it. Nothing heavy about the steering in my vehicle. Have not driven a 450.
2. How old are your tires and what are they. Check pressure, consider new tires as that can affect steering feel.
3. Trade in for BMW SUV as it sounds like you do not like the Lexus experience. There is nothing about this vehicle that is sporting, even the F Sport mostly fails at its job. It drives and feels like a a Buick and that is what Lexus was after, comfort over performance.
4. Start working out so you have the strength to turn the wheel.
Old 09-16-17, 02:20 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Sorry not answering OPs question but I do have an offer for him. Read on.

I learnt to drive when power steering on vehicles did not exist. I was taught not to turn the wheel with the vehicle at stand-still. [It takes too much effort, stresses the linkages and leaves behind rubber on the pavement]. I know there are times when you have to, but try this trick as it will help in most situations. Trick ,,, roll the vehicle and turn as the wheels spin.

Another tidbit of info ... when second gen GS was introduced, many folks complained about too-soft a steering. At that time Lexus used to have "L-Tuned" parts and they offered a stiffer feeling steering wheel ECU. So i do have one sitting in my garage. If they cross fit, let me know and I will search for it.

Salim
Old 09-16-17, 08:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There are so many wrong assumptions in the OP post.

Lexus and specifically all the RX are not known for having stiff steering. That is completely wrong assumption that that was part of the design. They all have much easier and light steering than a BMW X series let alone 3series. Every single car review will say driving just about all lexus except for the halo cars is like driving with mittens on, that is the lexus feel; but the steering is not heavy. The main purchasers and target of the RX are soccer moms to make driving easy, not euro enthusiasts.

So with that new background;
there is something different about your particular car if the steering is heavy. Take it to the dealer and ask if what you are experiencing is normal. However, if it is not normal and you are out of warranty, it may be costly than you can stomach to fix.

If you don't believe it, take or ask for the opportunity to test drive a new RX or a loaner RX and I bet it will not have heavier steering than a BMW.
Also, how long have you had the car? shouldn't you have noticed this before buying, what changed?

Last edited by raytseng; 09-16-17 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wwwjogos (07-19-21)
Old 09-17-17, 02:56 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I'm not making this up. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-steering.html

Last edited by MellonC00; 12-18-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 03:01 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

See this also.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-a-hybrid-suv/

he says:

Where the steering on the RX 400h was extremely light, even at speed, Lexus returned the electric-power steering to give more resistance in the RX 450h.

Last edited by MellonC00; 12-18-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 03:11 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

One more, just so you know for sure I'm not making this stuff up....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ns-normal.html

Last edited by MellonC00; 12-18-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 03:17 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by raytseng
There are so many wrong assumptions in the OP post.

Lexus and specifically all the RX are not known for having stiff steering. That is completely wrong assumption that that was part of the design. They all have much easier and light steering than a BMW X series let alone 3series. Every single car review will say driving just about all lexus except for the halo cars is like driving with mittens on, that is the lexus feel; but the steering is not heavy. The main purchasers and target of the RX are soccer moms to make driving easy, not euro enthusiasts.

So with that new background;
there is something different about your particular car if the steering is heavy. Take it to the dealer and ask if what you are experiencing is normal. However, if it is not normal and you are out of warranty, it may be costly than you can stomach to fix.

If you don't believe it, take or ask for the opportunity to test drive a new RX or a loaner RX and I bet it will not have heavier steering than a BMW.
Also, how long have you had the car? shouldn't you have noticed this before buying, what changed?
have you driven the x5 lately??? It's not the 3 series of yester years. It's quite light. And yes I drove other RX's. So my cars not broken. I'm looking for a minor adjustment. Since its electric steering, it should be possible.
Old 09-17-17, 06:22 AM
Clutchless

How often have you driven front wheel drive vehicles? That heaviness or resistance is part of the fact that power and steering both go through the front wheels, plus the torque steer at speeds or accelerating. Even the Lexus AWD is operating in FWD most of the time. Your rear drive BMW does not have that drag on the front wheels and I suspect even their X drive is tuned to be primarily rear wheel drive with front assist when needed.

However, I still think you need to get your vehicle inspected by a shop and to test drive another RX450h.

Maybe you have the defective steering column issue https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...stiffness.html
Old 09-17-17, 07:24 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
I learnt to drive when power steering on vehicles did not exist

You're well over 100 years old?
.. better yet it was in the last millennium

The big/large vehicles of USA needed the steering pump assist. Smaller vehicles in the world over, did not come with one, even into '80s and '90s.
The first vehicle I purchased with self earned money ['75 Oldsmobile] had a non working steering pump too.

But we are digressing.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 09-17-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 11:29 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clutchless
How often have you driven front wheel drive vehicles?

However, I still think you need to get your vehicle inspected by a shop and to test drive another RX450h.

Maybe you have the defective steering column issue https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...stiffness.html
on my signature line you see that I still drive the gen 1 RX. So that is my comparison point. The steering effort on that car is definitely on the lighter side.

Last edited by MellonC00; 09-29-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-17-17, 01:32 PM
Clutchless

The steering on my old 1995 Ford Explorer XLT also felt much different than the RX350. It was rear wheel drive based all wheel drive. And it was truck based with over boosted power steering. What is your point? That different cars steering systems feel different? Why did you buy the RX450h if you dislike the steering so much?
Old 09-17-17, 07:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

No, you don't have to be 100 years old to have this experience. I learned how to drive on an old Chey full sized pick up truck way back WITHOUT power steering. It is VERY heavy to turn especially trying to park it.

Originally Posted by kitabel
I learnt to drive when power steering on vehicles did not exist

You're well over 100 years old?
Old 09-17-17, 09:48 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The steering on my old 1995 Ford Explorer XLT also felt much different than the RX350. It was rear wheel drive based all wheel drive. And it was truck based with over boosted power steering. What is your point? That different cars steering systems feel different? Why did you buy the RX450h if you dislike the steering so much?
i bought the 450h because I don't dislike the steering so much. I dislike it very little. I am looking for a very minor adjustment as these are electrical steering system. I thought perhaps there is a way to "dial up or down."

in anycase I'd rather tweak a Lexus than deal with disposable cars like BMWs otherwise known as ultimate leasing machines.
Old 09-18-17, 06:54 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Tires make a world of difference. For example, when switching from winter tires to stiffer summer in my Audi, I had also changed steering setting from Dynamic to Comfort. It had to do with steering becoming to stiff compared to when running on softer winter tires.
Steering effort was reduced on the RX when I switched to Michelin Premier LTX. There are times when I wish the electric assist would work with the same force on the RX, same way it does on my Audi. I'm back to more aggressive Dynamic steering, BTW.

Quick Reply: How to lighten steering effort