RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Fluids maintenance capacities for 2011 RX350

Old 08-07-17, 05:49 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Fluids maintenance capacities for 2011 RX350

I took week off to do maintenance on our cars and want to replace all fluids on wife's RX.
I'd appreciate drain and fill capacities for:
Transmission fluid
Front differential
Transfer case
Rear differential.
I had this done twice on wife's RX300. I am presuming the only difference is that trannie does not have dipstick and filler hole is 24mm on the wheel side hidden behind the plastic shield?

Thank you
Old 08-08-17, 06:00 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

Fluid capacities are in the owner's manual. However:
Automatic transmission for RX350 is about 2 quarts drain and fill of Toyota WS ATF and should be done cold to make sure the drained and filled amounts are the same as hot fluid expands. The fill hole is where you indicated. Read other threads about this and how to do it. It is picky about fluid levels that is why a flush costs so much. You should do 2 or 3 drain and fills the first time. I do one every year now. Total capacity is about 9 quarts. A flush at a dealer is between $200 and $300.
If you have a RX450h the transmission holds 4 quarts of WS and you just fill it up until fluid comes out the fill hole.
Rear Differential takes 1 or 2 quarts of 75w90 synthetic gear lube, any brand. I think the rear holds more fluid. You just fill differentials until the new fluid comes out the fill hole. Always loosen the fill plug first so you do not get stuck with an empty differential that you cannot fill.
I think the transfer case is part of the front differential, or the front diff is in the transmission, but it also takes WS but check the manual, I forget but think you can also fill until fluid comes out the fill hole. It has been a few years since I did it last.

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-10-17 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 07:52 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Fluid capacities are in the owner's manual. However:
Automatic transmission for RX350 is about 2 quarts drain and fill of Toyota WS ATF and should be done cold to make sure the drained and filled amounts are the same as hot fluid expands. The fill hole is where you indicated. Read other threads about this and how to do it. It is picky about fluid levels that is why a flush costs so much. You should do 2 or 3 drain and fills the first time. I do one every year now. Total capacity is about 9 quarts. A flush at a dealer is between $200 and $300.
If you have a RX450h the transmission holds 4 quarts of WS and you just fill it up until fluid comes out the fill hole.
Front and rear Differentials take 1 or 2 quarts of 75w90 synthetic gear lube, any brand. I think the rear holds more fluid. You just fill differentials until the new fluid comes out the fill hole. Always loosen the fill plug first so you do not get stuck with an empty differential that you cannot fill.
I think the transfer case also takes WS but check the manual, I forget but think you can also fill until fluid comes out the fill hole. It has been a few years since I did it last.
^This is valuable information!
Old 08-08-17, 04:20 PM
Clutchless

That remove the fill plug first rule also applies to the transfer case and transmission!
Old 08-09-17, 08:41 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Thank you. Got it.
75W90 synthetic. ATF WS. About 5 qrts just in case as I am presuming t-case is drip fill also.
Car to be horizontal.
Got it.
Old 08-10-17, 08:07 AM
Clutchless

The Toyota Highlander is a mechanical twin. These instructions from the Highlander forum show how to do all the fluid changes, plus many other things. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...fications.html

Per the Highlander forum the front differential is part of the transmission and or transfer case and takes WS ATF. CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL TO CONFIRM PROPER FLUIDS FOR ALL COMPONENTS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INCORRECT FLUID USE, THESE ARE JUST RECOMMENDATIONS BASED ON RECOLLECTION.

I had just done a complete fluid change on a friends Jeep Wrangler and was thinking about that project and mixed up the differential issues.

Look at this thread as it has photos of the transfer case fluid change https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ntial-oil.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 08-10-17 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-10-17, 06:06 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I took week off to do maintenance on our cars and want to replace all fluids on wife's RX.
I'd appreciate drain and fill capacities for:
Transmission fluid
Front differential
Transfer case
Rear differential.
I had this done twice on wife's RX300. I am presuming the only difference is that trannie does not have dipstick and filler hole is 24mm on the wheel side hidden behind the plastic shield?

Thank you
Greetings my TCH brother. IIRC both the transfer case and rear diff took just under 2 quarts each... someone who's done it more recently might remember for sure.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/772131-transfer-case-and-rear-differential-oil.html
The front diff is linked to tranny and has ws atf in it, so as in the linked threads clutchless and others posted, drain & fill the tranny with careful measurements of what comes out to put same amount back in. if you have the cahones, you can use techstream and a temperature sensor to do the 'real' tranny fluid exchange, but it is quite involved.
Here's another thread , but the Highlander forum is more complete....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/459777-rx350-transmission-oil-change-diy.html

Last edited by afpj; 08-10-17 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old 08-11-17, 07:13 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

TCH was sold, brother.
Old 08-11-17, 07:21 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Easy. I have car lift, it will be cakewalk. I am still so beat up after ATF and transfer case job on our RAM1500 (that's why TCH was sold) that I'd not dare without lift. My lift does not work for truck frame. Well, it does but you need extra $500 part and I am a miser. So it was PAINFUL and SPILLFUL. But it's done and as truck drives maybe 200 miles a month, will last long long time.
Old 08-11-17, 11:42 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

It was pretty easy with the RX350 on ramps in front and jack stands in the rear to make it more or less level, but still had to be on my back. My own car lift in my garage...that's a dream house.
TCH to RAM...that's a sweet upgrade. Your living my dream sir. (although I'm pretty happy with my 16 year old GMC truck- just got to keep up with it like the millennium falcon.)

Last edited by afpj; 08-11-17 at 11:43 AM. Reason: duh
Old 08-11-17, 02:11 PM
Clutchless

What is a TCH?
Old 08-11-17, 02:30 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Toyota Camry Hybrid ?
Old 08-11-17, 03:18 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

TCH=Toyota Camry Hybrid.
HiHY= Highlander Hybrid
TAH=Toyota Avalon Hybrid.

It's done. I passed on ATF for the moment. Don't even know why, maybe because I did nothing but maintenance in the last 4 days and it started getting to me. Been 90 outside for the last couple weeks, too much.
Was very easy on car lift. Transfer case took in about 90% of one liter of 75W90. Read diff took in maybe 3/4 of a liter. Filled to overflow on level car.
That was it. Considering it's good for about 60 000 miles, as she drives maybe 8K a year, if not less, it's good for long time.
Oil did come out discolored, brownish/greenish, and with some slime in it. Rear diff was worse than T-case.
Old 08-12-17, 08:10 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Oh, and quick tip. I used screw onto the bottle hand pump to pump oil into t-case and diff. Thing is, you have to run it backwards, to prevent hose from pulling out of the hole and spraying oil all over the floor. Especially on diff, as hose does not go in far. So with one hand, hold hose into the hole. With other hand, place pump head against something sturdy under the car and then pump bottle up into the pump head. In that manner, you do not pull or jerk on the hose. Good deltoid exercise.
Old 08-13-17, 04:26 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Originally Posted by afpj
It was pretty easy with the RX350 on ramps in front and jack stands in the rear to make it more or less level, but still had to be on my back. My own car lift in my garage...that's a dream house.
TCH to RAM...that's a sweet upgrade. Your living my dream sir. (although I'm pretty happy with my 16 year old GMC truck- just got to keep up with it like the millennium falcon.)
Wounds still fresh. Don't put salt on them. I "upgraded" from 40mpg to barely 13.2. And that thing has no pick up. Lots of torques, that's for sure. And it's surely a tank, being quad cab. Well, I miss my TCH but 6 acre calls for hauler.
Car lifts are not that expensive, actually. They have some very cute options that I actually consider. Mine is Atlas scissor lift and being two large platforms, it has its limitations. Say, trucks require special add on to use on truck frames. So not trucks there, it's pricy.
But they have a removable 2 post with arms that you can roll and stow away. Lifts 6 000 lb but only up to 45 inches and that's what holds me from it. With what I have, I can easily sit under car working. I hate being on the back and working upward. Makes me dizzy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fluids maintenance capacities for 2011 RX350