RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 08:37 AM
erbr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 Blower motor

Was wondering if anyone has experience continual problems and replacement of the blower motor? (fan inside that blows heat/AC)

History

I bought the RX350 new and after 30,000 miles my 2010 RX350 had to have the blower motor replaced. After 80,000 it was again replaced a second time. After the first time it was replaced I was told that the the blower motor rarely needs to get replaced and I should be set. After the second time it was replaced I had lengthy discussions that "if this is so rare.....why is it happening?" "There has to be a root cause?". The reply was a no reply, but bafflement. I don't know. So i went with it praying that I would not need to deal with this again.

About a month ago, the second replaced one (so this would be the third one in the car that has "failed') stop working after being in the car for a mere 20,000 miles. By the time I brought it to dealership (literally on the ride to the dealership) it started to workafter the car was turn off and back on again. So the dealership said "we cant find anything"....... This week it failed for good and needs to be replaced, which will be the third replacement (and 4th unit in the car). A FOURTH unit for this vehicle? WOW? The reason I bring this up is that the District will not pay for the replacement---even though the history shows that this has been an issue with the car within two years of owning the car and every 18-24 months (on average) thereafter.

So, two questions: 1) what could possibly be causing this that the dealership has failed to find and fix? and 2) if this was an issue (and a continual issue every 18-24 months) how can the dealership/district not cover this? In my eyes a band-aid has been put on a bigger issue, and issue that the dealership has failed to find the root cause.

Thanks
Old 06-29-17, 08:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

That is a strange situation. How often has the cabin air filter been changed? Maybe it or the system is really clogged up restricting air flow and causing over heating? Did anyone comment on debris found during replacement?
Old 06-29-17, 08:54 AM
erbr1
Driver School Candidate

Car has been serviced by the dealership every time, pretty much on schedule. No one has said anything about debris. In fact it was serviced a month ago.

Thanks....just looking for answesr and want to hang on to the car for a few more years.
Old 06-29-17, 09:23 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Has any one verified the blowermotor is toast or they just go by diagnosis procedure and swap out the motor?

My guess is that there is a bad connector or wire giving intermittent power to the motor... could be even the fans speed controller. I would put up test light and see if the light stays on when the blowermotor quits.

Salim
Old 06-29-17, 09:35 AM
erbr1
Driver School Candidate

I can't answer that question, but I do know after both replacements I tried to ask all the questions about a loose connection, to much voltage(?) etc, and whether other control issues could have been happening. And the answer seemed to come back those were not the problem. and each time I was told It was the blower motor. To me, "since the blower motor hardly ever fails", something else is going on.

I was also told that the unit showed no signs of burning out. i would think (maybe Im wrong here) that they would have tested the blower outside of the unit to confirm it doesn't work????

Thanks----I'll raise you inquiries.....
Old 06-29-17, 04:42 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask them to bench test the old blower motor if not too late. Electrical gremlins can be difficult to find at times. My bet is another issue, as others here have suggested. What needs to done is a continuity & function check on the wiring providing 12V to the blower.Time consuming to say the least. Might pay to purchase the wiring manual for the car & trace it yourself or take it to someone who can.