RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Color question, blue seems unpopular

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 04:28 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Color question, blue seems unpopular

Just curious, I decided the dark mica blue with light tan interior is the top pick for me on a 2015 rx350 but have now realized, it is extremely unpopular. After searching for 500 miles, I can't hardly find one. Is it that unpopular? Seems to be a very pretty and rich color. What are your thoughts? Will likely need to find another color since buying used
Old 05-09-17, 06:14 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife and I decided long ago that Lexus color choices are a weak point, unless you like shades of gray, black, or white (note the colors of our cars!). The dealers here in the Denver area don't stock much else. That said, we do like the blue, especially with the tan interior. We also like Matador Red Mica. Especially when they're clean and polished, but that's true of most colors in my humble opinion. If I can eventually talk my lovely wife into a new RX soon, it will be one of those colors.

I too, have wondered why you don't see many actual colors(reds, blues, greens, etc.) anymore. I can't decide if no one buys them because the dealers don't stock them, or if the dealers don't stock them because no one buys them. I suspect the latter, but it's sorta self fulfilling, isn't it?

Last edited by User 41924; 05-09-17 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 09:31 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
the dealers don't stock them because no one buys them. I suspect the latter, but it's sorta self fulfilling, isn't it?
It is because less people want to buy them. With allocation to deal with the dealers put in their request for colors and options that get sold with good profit. The dealer should be able to 'order' any combination/customization the factory allows, but there is a big "BUT". Till the buyer picks up the vehicle the vehicle is owned by the dealership. So if the buyer orders a 'strange' combination and on delivery refuses to purchase, the vehicle then sits on the dealership lot. Again due to allocation, the dealer would not like to take the chance for 'strange' customization unless they know that you will purchase the vehicle.

Salim
Old 05-09-17, 10:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
Just curious, I decided the dark mica blue with light tan interior is the top pick for me on a 2015 rx350 but have now realized, it is extremely unpopular. After searching for 500 miles, I can't hardly find one. Is it that unpopular? Seems to be a very pretty and rich color. What are your thoughts? Will likely need to find another color since buying used
i think that's a great color combination personally.
Old 05-09-17, 12:47 PM
fezzy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always thought you had to pay extra for blue/burgundy therefore you don't see a lot of them on the streets. i personally own a burgundy rx350 and i had to look for months before i found one with all the options and the 19" rims. i also love the blue too, it was my second choice.
Old 05-09-17, 01:49 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

What you describe as blue/tan color combo does look nice. Personally, I'm not a big fan of lightly colored leather interiors, but I'm also not a fan of black leather interior in our current vehicle. The '10 RXh we bought last August is called Smoky Granite Mica and has the black interior, but the exterior has a distinctive blue metal flake tone when seen up close, especially out in bright sunlight. In the shade, it looks like a very dark and almost blackish gray, but the blue undertones are definitely there. We really like it because it is not as common as the black, gray, burgundy, or white which we see EVERYWHERE we go. Also, since it's not as commonly seen, we actually get a lot of compliments about how nice it looks.
Attached Thumbnails Color question, blue seems unpopular-2010-rx450h.jpg  
Old 05-09-17, 04:17 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I prefer grey, black or white, My tastes change over time and I'm sure red and blue will once again be favorites for me. If I had to buy another today I'd go with grey or white. The reason there are several colors is that we all have different tastes.
  • In North America, white remains most popular (23 percent), followed by black (19 percent), gray (17 percent), silver (15 percent), red (10 percent) and blue (8 percent).

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-09-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 03:12 AM
rdfish1
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting stats in percentage. I was a big fan of the pearl white, owned it in a 2002 rx300 and a 15 4Runner limited but the newer rx white is simply bright white and I don't love it. Or would get white. I think I will keep looking for blue until I get frustrated. Went back and looked st some pics and the dark blue w the tan is really striking. Plus, since it seems less popular, maybe I can get a slightly better deal

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I prefer grey, black or white, My tastes change over time and I'm sure red and blue will once again be favorites for me. If I had to buy another today I'd go with grey or white. The reason there are several colors is that we all have different tastes.
  • In North America, white remains most popular (23 percent), followed by black (19 percent), gray (17 percent), silver (15 percent), red (10 percent) and blue (8 percent).
Old 05-12-17, 10:12 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
What you describe as blue/tan color combo does look nice. Personally, I'm not a big fan of lightly colored leather interiors, but I'm also not a fan of black leather interior in our current vehicle. The '10 RXh we bought last August is called Smoky Granite Mica and has the black interior, but the exterior has a distinctive blue metal flake tone when seen up close, especially out in bright sunlight. In the shade, it looks like a very dark and almost blackish gray, but the blue undertones are definitely there. We really like it because it is not as common as the black, gray, burgundy, or white which we see EVERYWHERE we go. Also, since it's not as commonly seen, we actually get a lot of compliments about how nice it looks.
Smokey Granite Mica is awesome! I had it on my '11 IS350, with black leather. I wish I still had it!
Old 06-09-17, 05:13 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am searching for a 450h currently. I have completely ruled out Black exteriors... too hot and impossible to keep clean (I have only owed 1 black car in my life and it would get dirty on the way home from the car wash)! I have come across some adds for Smokey Granite Mica... I assume it is as dark, hot and hard to keep clean as black? I am leaning towards white, silver or grey... not really because of what I think looks nice more because they seem the most practical. (Black does look very nice).

I also don't care for light colored interiors. Same practicality thinking. Light color interiors are harder to keep clean. I DO like that in the 450h the light grey seats are bordered by black foot wells! Almost the best of both worlds, black foot wells that don't advertise the dirt and light seating surfaces that don't absorb the suns heat.

F250 - Why don't you like your black leather interior? A black leather interior is my preferred interior. Is it because it gets too hot in the sun? OR does it show wear quicker? My current vehicle (Maxima) has 280K mi with a dark grey interior (cloth). After 14 years (with me) the interior is still in decent shape. The last tan interior I had looked dirty after the 1st month. ... Yes, I am definitely going to get Weathertech mats. Are the OEM Toyota weather mats different that Weathertech mats?
Old 06-11-17, 06:58 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about that brownish colored one?
saw one of those today(which I don't see too often), and thought it would be really nice with saddle interior
Old 06-12-17, 01:08 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
What about that brownish colored one?
saw one of those today(which I don't see too often), and thought it would be really nice with saddle interior
I have a 1980 Mercedes 450slc which I love everything about except for the metallic brown exterior. It isn't awful but it never thrilled me. I don't think the brown RX is as nice of a color as my Mercedes... I have never seen a brown RX in person. White is my preferred color but I found a couple of silver RX's that appeal to my color preferences.

I do really like the RX saddle brown interior! I think it is very sharp and will hide dirt well. I don't like tan interiors (My Mercedes has a tan interior which highlights any dirt). I like black interiors but will settle on the light grey RX interior with black foot wells. I think the light grey will be better on hot sunny days... but like the looks of black better.
Old 06-12-17, 06:18 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeInOr
I am searching for a 450h currently. I have completely ruled out Black exteriors... too hot and impossible to keep clean (I have only owed 1 black car in my life and it would get dirty on the way home from the car wash)! I have come across some adds for Smokey Granite Mica... I assume it is as dark, hot and hard to keep clean as black? I am leaning towards white, silver or grey... not really because of what I think looks nice more because they seem the most practical. (Black does look very nice).

I also don't care for light colored interiors. Same practicality thinking. Light color interiors are harder to keep clean. I DO like that in the 450h the light grey seats are bordered by black foot wells! Almost the best of both worlds, black foot wells that don't advertise the dirt and light seating surfaces that don't absorb the suns heat.

F250 - Why don't you like your black leather interior? A black leather interior is my preferred interior. Is it because it gets too hot in the sun? OR does it show wear quicker? My current vehicle (Maxima) has 280K mi with a dark grey interior (cloth). After 14 years (with me) the interior is still in decent shape. The last tan interior I had looked dirty after the 1st month. ... Yes, I am definitely going to get Weathertech mats. Are the OEM Toyota weather mats different that Weathertech mats?
I have a smokey granite mica SC430 and I do not find it hard to keep clean at all. Nothing like my black RX300 I had years ago.
Old 06-12-17, 08:12 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeInOr

Personally, the best interior color I've experienced is the gray leather in my F250. We had tan leather in our '03 Eddie Bauer Excursion, and I'm just not personally partial to the tan tones of leather. Admittedly, the durability has more to do with material quality than color, but I really really really like the brown color of the King Ranch interiors, and that same color in ANY vehicle.

OK... that didn't answer your question, Mike, so here it comes...

Smoky Granite Mica (SGM) is a very dark color and DOES bring with it a propensity to show dirt, though not as badly as a pure black vehicle because of the combination of dark blue tones and metal flake. I had not wanted a dark vehicle, but I find the SGM is tolerable. We've always had either light blue or white vehicles with light to medium interior colors. Our RXh lives in the garage, though, unlike all of our previous vehicles, and it only gets about 8-10K miles per year on it. I find that I can keep ti glistening clean with waterless washes every 2-4 weeks, depending on the weather when it's driven. I have chosen to stay with the summer use of waterless washes because my garage is typically 15-20 degrees cooler than ambient temps, so it's cooler for me to do the job.

As for the black interior, yes, it gets hotter faster in comparison to lighter colored interiors, and that is not preferable for me. It, also, is acceptable to me since it's not my DD which sits in the direct sun all day every day. My wife is OK with it as well which is even MORE important than my opinion because, after all, it's her vehicle. As for durability, I guess it might show wear more easily than other colors, but at the same time, I'm not really sure about that. This is the first dark exterior/interior vehicle we've ever owned. Tentatively, even though I feel confident that I could enjoy this vehicle's reliability for another 7-10 years, I'm planning on upgrading to the '13 in the next 2-3 years and will probably try to move back towards a white or dark gray exterior color. The interior color, again, for us, is not as critical since the vehicle spends most of its life inside a closed garage.

Regarding the Weathertech mats... they are excellent. I would advise you, though, to trim around the upwards protruding edge where the liner is molded around the back bracket covers on the front seat mounts. Due to how high they protrude, if you are re-positioning your front seats very often at all, that upper lip of the liners will catch on the seat track bars and get either pushed back or folded up. I can take a snapshot of how I trimmed mine to resolve this issue, and it has completely stopped the "folding" of my rear floor liner as I and my wife adjust the seats to fit our respective needs.

Last edited by F250; 06-12-17 at 08:17 AM.