RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

steering column rattling DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 05:36 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

VladMe! - Did you get your vehicle to start? If so, what was the problem with the steering column installation that you fixed?
Old 10-15-19, 06:13 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
VladMe! - Did you get your vehicle to start? If so, what was the problem with the steering column installation that you fixed?
When I put replacement part in vehicle it wont start and I got pissed off 😤 was thinking that I got broken column.So I started to dig around what could be the issue and find out that the old column was locked like when you shut off the engine and leaving the vehicle steering is moving to its parking position and locks itself so you cant move it.Replacement part was unlocked so you can freely move the steering.So I take old column apart on 2 pieces the bad bottom piece that’s giving you noise and top piece with all the small motors on it and lock mechanism and same I did with new part.After that I put old piece with motors and lock mechanism together with new bottom part where you have the big motor and main gear.Installed it on vehicle and car starts right away.Im so happy instead of 3000$ cost me 160 and couple of hours.
The following users liked this post:
nbtxrx (09-27-22)
Old 10-15-19, 11:47 AM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VladMel
When I put replacement part in vehicle it wont start and I got pissed off 😤 was thinking that I got broken column.So I started to dig around what could be the issue and find out that the old column was locked like when you shut off the engine and leaving the vehicle steering is moving to its parking position and locks itself so you cant move it.Replacement part was unlocked so you can freely move the steering.So I take old column apart on 2 pieces the bad bottom piece that’s giving you noise and top piece with all the small motors on it and lock mechanism and same I did with new part.After that I put old piece with motors and lock mechanism together with new bottom part where you have the big motor and main gear.Installed it on vehicle and car starts right away.Im so happy instead of 3000$ cost me 160 and couple of hours.
I’m just as happy as you are now ! So glad to hear that your work succeeded! I might go for a steering column through EBay right now. But one more question, it seems we need some specific software to code the new column according to the TSB. Do you think that software is necessary? BTW, do you think my local mechanics could do this replacement job? Because when I went there, they told me specific tools are required to remove and install the steering column.
Old 10-15-19, 11:55 AM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
I’m just as happy as you are now ! So glad to hear that your work succeeded! I might go for a steering column through EBay right now. But one more question, it seems we need some specific software to code the new column according to the TSB. Do you think that software is necessary? BTW, do you think my local mechanics could do this replacement job? Because when I went there, they told me specific tools are required to remove and install the steering column.
Everything they tells you is bu*****.All you need is a screwdriver,wrench 12mm,22mm socket for steering nut,10mm wrench and hex key to remove air bag,pliars as well.Thats it.If you will do as I did by taking old part of column and merging it with new one no software needed just plug and play otherwise I have no idea.Should I make video for YouTube how to do all this replacement?So we can kill this issue forever for low cost)
The following 2 users liked this post by VladMel:
nbtxrx (09-27-22), theodoregcajuste (04-02-24)
Old 10-15-19, 12:08 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

Everything they tells you is bu*****.All you need is a screwdriver,wrench 12mm,22mm socket for steering nut,10mm wrench and hex key to remove air bag,pliars as well.Thats it.If you will do as I did by taking old part of column and merging it with new one no software needed just plug and play otherwise I have no idea.Should I make video for YouTube how to do all this replacement?So we can kill this issue forever for low cost)
Oh man , you are the one that many victims are waiting for! I have read countless threads about DIY addressing this issue. I really appreciate your generate sharing and great work! Please go ahead and upload one
theodoregcajuste (04-02-24)
Old 10-17-19, 06:59 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default **Help** 2010 RX350 Steering Column Rattle

I have a Canada built 2010 RX350 AWD that I bought back in January 2019. Bought it with 94K on it. I have had a steering column rattle/popping noise when the steering wheel is in the centered position (not turning).. It's been driving me nuts! I've taken it to the dealer on several occasions, and they say they can't duplicate it or its other items in the vehicle (glove box, car seat, etc.). I removed all items and this is definitely coming from the steering column. I have had 6 alignments on the car since buying it. This is due to the steering feeling loose, or it was pulling one way, or the steering wheel wasn't centered. I'm unsure if that's related to the steering column noise, but I suspect it could be..

I'm wondering, has anyone else had anything like this??? If so, what is it and what did you do to fix it?? I'm debating on reaching out to Lexus about the issue! The dealership has had several chances to fix or find the issue, but they don't find anything (I bought the car from them, maybe they don't want to find a problem with the car they sold me?). Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
JATS (11-10-20)
Old 10-23-19, 06:22 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by 10RXAWD
I have a Canada built 2010 RX350 AWD that I bought back in January 2019. Bought it with 94K on it. I have had a steering column rattle/popping noise when the steering wheel is in the centered position (not turning).. It's been driving me nuts! I've taken it to the dealer on several occasions, and they say they can't duplicate it or its other items in the vehicle (glove box, car seat, etc.). I removed all items and this is definitely coming from the steering column. I have had 6 alignments on the car since buying it. This is due to the steering feeling loose, or it was pulling one way, or the steering wheel wasn't centered. I'm unsure if that's related to the steering column noise, but I suspect it could be..

I'm wondering, has anyone else had anything like this??? If so, what is it and what did you do to fix it?? I'm debating on reaching out to Lexus about the issue! The dealership has had several chances to fix or find the issue, but they don't find anything (I bought the car from them, maybe they don't want to find a problem with the car they sold me?). Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Hello Im in process of making video on how to DIY replace steering column the video will contain issue descriptions so you will be able to confirm if thats your case.
JATS (11-07-19)
Old 10-23-19, 06:24 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

hey, is everything alright with your new steering column ? I'm looking for a used one of 2013-2015 steering column on Ebay but all of them are no cheaper than $300. Could you please tell me how you get it at $160 ?
Old 10-23-19, 06:29 PM
VladMel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yinan0124
hey, is everything alright with your new steering column ? I'm looking for a used one of 2013-2015 steering column on Ebay but all of them are no cheaper than $300. Could you please tell me how you get it at $160 ?
I dont know I just got lucky,but even 300$ its not 2000$ as dealer asks plus labor up to 1k I got estimated for 3k
Old 10-23-19, 11:07 PM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Hello Im in process of making video on how to DIY replace steering column the video will contain issue descriptions so you will be able to confirm if thats your case.
My car is currently at the dealership... They said my problem is the steering column shaft, plus both front drive shafts.. repair bill is $2,150 but they are willing to pay for half. Should I take the offer? Or keep fighting with the dealership corporate office? Its had the issue since buying it, so that's why they're willing to cover half the cost.. Threw out the TSB number for the issue, but they said its "expired ". So pissed that I have literally told them about this problem for 10 months and it took complaining to Corporate for them to finally find it. Ahhh!!

Is there anything else I should sneak in while they have all that taken apart?? Just want to get my money's worth.
Old 10-24-19, 04:34 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts

I would step up my battle with Lexus Corporate. You have to be a bulldog in these situations. Document the issue including all the time you spent telling them about your situation before they finally got off their *** and attempted to address it.
Old 10-24-19, 06:57 AM
VladMel
Rookie

My car is currently at the dealership... They said my problem is the steering column shaft, plus both front drive shafts.. repair bill is $2,150 but they are willing to pay for half. Should I take the offer? Or keep fighting with the dealership corporate office? Its had the issue since buying it, so that's why they're willing to cover half the cost.. Threw out the TSB number for the issue, but they said its "expired ". So pissed that I have literally told them about this problem for 10 months and it took complaining to Corporate for them to finally find it. Ahhh!!

Is there anything else I should sneak in while they have all that taken apart?? Just want to get my money's worth.
Steering column shaft?? Let me give you the link of YouTube video and you tell me if you have same issue

JATS (11-10-20)
Old 10-24-19, 08:55 AM
10RXAWD
Driver School Candidate

Steering column shaft?? Let me give you the link of YouTube video and you tell me if you have same issue

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tby9c1a_9G0
No it's not.. Here is mine.

Last edited by 10RXAWD; 10-24-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-26-19, 01:58 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

No it's not.. Here is mine.

https://youtu.be/v9HGMfIf4qQ
I think your car's noise is the same with mine and Vlad's car. I went to lexus dealer and they told me the steering column assembly needs replacement. But my local mechanics told me the culprit is my car's steering shaft... I'm totally confused now.

But there are many threads about steering wheel column noise on internet and there are many cases that people's noise goes away after replacing the steering column. Can you talk to you dealer about my confusion ?

If we just need to replace steering shaft, it will be far cheaper than the steering column replacement.
Old 10-26-19, 02:01 PM
Yinan0124
Driver School Candidate

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tby9c1a_9G0
Hey Vlad, have you finished posting the DIY steering column replacement video ? Like what I replied to 10RXAWD, my local mechanics told me the steering shaft is the culprit and my noise sounds exactly like his car's. But this doesn't mean you're wrong, since there are many successful cases on this. Do you have videos when you're driving with the noise ? The constant noise on rough roads when driving may be easier to identify. Maybe I should take it to another trustworthy mechanics to do the inspection before buying a new steering column assembly.

Quick Reply: steering column rattling DIY?