RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Check AFS, ABS and AWD lights coming on and off

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 05:52 AM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point, I am willing to try anything. I have seen the method of using SST wire (AKA paper clip), but I encounter floating information on which pins in the OBD connector that needs to be shorted.
I have a 2010 RX350 and want to know which one needs to be shorted.

(Still looking answers for above questions, too).

Thank you!
Old 11-25-17, 11:11 AM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like your rx has more issues that need to be checked out. Replacing only sensor may not fix the real issue that could be the sensor wiring harness to the ECU or the ECU itself. If everything is checked out as good, doing a memory/calibration reset on the abs sensor shoud clear the trouble lights.
Old 11-25-17, 11:50 AM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply.

So I will be honest here.

I am not sure if everything "Checked out OK". All I know is what I see.

There are DTCs for AFS, Four Wheel Drive and ABS. I cannot clear it or quite truthfully, not even sure if I am doing everything in correct order.

Is there a step by step procedure on how to do properly clear codes? Example lie clear code first then zero point calibration etc.

I am by no means an expert. So some explanation may be needed.

Thank you.
Old 11-25-17, 12:12 PM
tn7con
Driver

"Everything checked out" here means doing the real dirty work of verifying that the sensor is actually sending some verified resistance (search other forums on abs sensor troubleshooting) that the sensor wiring is good (no damage, no breakage, good connector, etc...). Hopefully the ECU is still good, then use Techstream to do zero point calibration reset. That reset should clear the trouble codes in the ECU and the trouble lights should turn off. If the trouble lights don't turn off after zero point reset then there is still fault in the system ... then its possible that the ecu is bad... you may need to troubleshoot further or take it to the dealer for help ... good luck ...
Old 11-25-17, 12:51 PM
tn7con
Driver

You may want to check out this
on how to clean the tone ring on the wheel where the speed sensor is reading off to determine wheel speed. If the tone ring is dirty or damaged then it will throw off the speed sensor value ... it might worth a look ...

Last edited by tn7con; 11-25-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 07:55 PM
Jimmytlc
Driver School Candidate

Hi
Did you ever find out what the problem to your car and how you do fixes it. I have a same model & year like you. Today I got the same message on the dashboard . Please let me know how to get it fix. Thank you verymuch. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 03-26-19, 07:58 PM
Jimmytlc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tungsten24
First post here and I hope to get some good advice here. I have a 2010 RX350 with 115K miles. Bought the car with 33K miles and have been running like a champ until recently when suddenly the AFS, ABS and AWD check messages comes and goes on the meter randomly.

Before I post here, I thought I try to figure out what could be the cause but after a month, I could not
come to an conclusion so I am here for help.

Here are some thing I have noticed over a month.

1. When the lights are off and driving, right before all the lights decide to come back on, I feel the brake "slipping" when coming to a complete stop. Shortly after is whe the lights generally come on. Then after some random time, the light will go away again.

2. Just yesterday, justbfor a brief moment, a new message appeared and never seen again. It was "AWD overheat".

3. Rotors and pads were replaced last June and are brand new. OEM pads and rotors are decent aftermarket but Equivalent to OEM product.

4. I know I have a bad rear driver bearing which I plan to replace in next month or so.

Based on these I have an assumption that it maybe sensor related but I am not positive and can't figure out where to look from.

I can answer any questions. I just want to see if it is something I can fix myself or need to take it to a dealer. Dealer here wants $175 just to look at it.

One last nite, my car did suddenly die 2 in the past 2 months although I had put a new battery in 2 years ago. Took it to Advance Auto and the said I am at 12.6V and 460 CCA. Not the best but should be okay.

Thanks for reading and and I hope that I get some help here. Thank you very much!
Hi
Did you ever find out what the problem to your car and how you do fixes it. I have a same model & year like you. Today I got the same message on the dashboard . Please let me know how to get it fix. Thank you verymuch. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 03-27-19, 04:28 AM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

In conclusion, my issue was with the wheel speed sensor but the problem was in the harness. My car got hit while parked and body shop did not see that the harness of the wheel speed sensor got pinched and wire was torn. This harness comes from the engine room to the wheel speed sensor. I replaced the wheel speed sensor but that did not fix the issue because the damage was on the harness side coming from the engine room. Once I re-soldered the wires back together, the problem went away.

I used techstream to find out which wheel speed sensor and then inspected the area thoroughly and found this issue. So I recommend finding out which wheel speed sensor sir might be bad and then inspected that area.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 03-28-19, 02:49 PM
Jimmytlc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tungsten24
In conclusion, my issue was with the wheel speed sensor but the problem was in the harness. My car got hit while parked and body shop did not see that the harness of the wheel speed sensor got pinched and wire was torn. This harness comes from the engine room to the wheel speed sensor. I replaced the wheel speed sensor but that did not fix the issue because the damage was on the harness side coming from the engine room. Once I re-soldered the wires back together, the problem went away.

I used techstream to find out which wheel speed sensor and then inspected the area thoroughly and found this issue. So I recommend finding out which wheel speed sensor sir might be bad and then inspected that area.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you very much for your kindly replied. I will check it out.