RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wheel Bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 06:15 PM
Pguerra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings...

Hi all, I have a 2013 RX350 and about 2-3wks ago I started hearing this humming noise as I hit 30MPH. I thought it might be a nail in the tires or something, but could not find anything. I figured I'd take it in when I went for my oil change and maint.

Finally I got it to the dealer this weekend and they told me I needed a NEW set of tires as my tires were wearing down unevenly and this was the cause of the noise! My car has 30,100 miles on it and while my tires still seemed to have some life left in them; I figured lets go ahead and get this over with and kill two birds with one stone. I paid $1300 for a set of Michelin tires installed, plus alignment and the 30k maintenance needed. All in all it was about $1800....OUCH!

After I got it back on Monday and left the dealer, I noticed the noise was still there as I hit 30MPH!! WTF?!?! I called the dealer and they had me bring it in. This time a tech went out with me and instantly as he heard the noise he felt 100% confident it was the wheel bearings! The dealer said they'd take care of it under warranty, gave me a loaner and I went on my way.

I'm lad we found (hopefully) the cause and can get this resolved, but I'm feeling a bit screwed after being told it was the tires causing the noise, and I spent $1300+ and turned out it was NOT the tires! Granted I would've replaced the tires anyways sometime likely in the next 6-12MO, but still feel lied to and taken advantage of. Is there anything I can or should do? Or just chalk it up to a car dealer being a car dealer and this is what they do? I guess I expected more from a Lexus dealer...

My wife and I both own Lexus and LOVE them and likely they only cars we'd buy going forward. Just felt wrong going through this in a Lexus dealer; guess I was being naive.

Thanks
Old 09-07-16, 06:41 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I think the dealer treated you fairly and did an appropriate diagnosis.
Your tires were likely pretty worn and worn tires are the most typical source of that type of noise. The dealer went for the most obvious fix first, and you admit you would need tires soon anyway and at 30,000 miles, I would expect that on this vehicle. It is rare for wheel bearings to fail at that low a mileage, but at least you were covered by the warranty. Those are typical higher dealer prices. You may not have paid much less for the tires at Costco. Alignments are typically $100-$130 depending on where you go. So the $400 extra for the alignment and 30,000 mile service is pretty typical for a dealer.
Old 09-07-16, 07:39 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2. I think it is fair especially considering 30k on those tires is about what you would get.

Plus you were at the dealer for routine maintenance already. It is just depends on what is the dollar value on your time and the hassles of researching on what tire and where and if they even have what the RX specifies. I guess I would have gotten tires from the dealer if they will match prices. But even then, this other tire place near where I live had fixed my flat tires and air up my tires when the temperature drops down and triggers the low pressure tire warning over the years without charge. I did not even have to wait........I just pull up and one of the guys greet me and take care of me quickly and I'm back on the road.

I changed all 4 tires out on my RX450H at around 35k miles. I probably could have stretched for another 5k miles, but with wife and teenage kids driving it, I decided to go ahead and get new tires. I was on the lookout for a sale some 6 months out and got them at America's Tire. They beat Costco, Sam's Club, and TireRack. Besides America's Tire previously fixed my flat tires on my other vehicles FREE OF CHARGE. So they knew I'll be back when I needed new tires!!!

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I think the dealer treated you fairly and did an appropriate diagnosis.
Your tires were likely pretty worn and worn tires are the most typical source of that type of noise. The dealer went for the most obvious fix first, and you admit you would need tires soon anyway and at 30,000 miles, I would expect that on this vehicle. It is rare for wheel bearings to fail at that low a mileage, but at least you were covered by the warranty. Those are typical higher dealer prices. You may not have paid much less for the tires at Costco. Alignments are typically $100-$130 depending on where you go. So the $400 extra for the alignment and 30,000 mile service is pretty typical for a dealer.

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-07-16 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 05:52 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm, only around 30 MPH? what about if you go faster or perhaps on the highway? does the humming noise still persist or gets worst?