RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Steering wheel makes a sound when turning?

Old 08-02-12, 08:52 AM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Steering wheel makes a sound when turning?

I recently picked up a cpo rx 350 and my steering wheel makes a squishy rubber-rubber friction kinda noise when I turn - especially when I am reversing. Has anyone elsp experienced this? Is it common and does it go away? I am going to take the car to the dealers on Saturday -
Thank you

Last edited by SAPNY; 08-02-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 09:00 AM
nine49
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my CPO RX350 in April and it made squeaking noise at low speeds, similar to rubber rubbing each other.
My dealer applied special "Lexus" grease which took 2 days for them to get and the noise disappeared for few weeks, and it returned. The squeak isn't as noticeable as the first time, but it's there. Taking my car for first 5,000 mile free service next week and will address the squeak issue again.
Old 08-02-12, 09:31 AM
SAPNY
Rookie

Hey Nine49 - i am glad the noise went away - i hope it doesnt come back once you return from 5k service
I picked up my cpo with 12k miles this past saturday. I actually asked my sales person for the first service free and they said they dont do that... Hmmm - is it common for cali dealers?
Old 08-02-12, 10:18 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering what your actual odometer mileage was when first noticing the steering noise, and also from others who have had the problem. My 2010 450h got it around 32,000 miles, and was more of a moan than a squeak. The problem is not serious, but seems like some of us are getting the problem after some miles are on the RX.
Old 08-02-12, 10:26 AM
mrsunny
Driver School Candidate

I too noticed the rubber noises and it felt like it was coming from the tires since they are new. I also observed a similar behavior on my other older car after putting new tires on them. It went away few weeks later after I put some miles on them. I will pay more attention to it next time.

Also regarding the free service it depends on the dealership and they should be able to do that if you talk to your sales guy. Tell them that your friend who bought at the other dealership has gotten two free service vouchers and ask them if they can do anything like that...Good Luck!!!
Old 08-02-12, 10:29 AM
SAPNY
Rookie

go3ds - My car just hit 12,780 miles and the noise seems from steering wheel and not tires although the car does have new tires
mrsunny - I will definitely ask my sales person - i should have negotiated this into the sales price but I was a novice so I took them at book value and did the deal
Old 08-02-12, 10:54 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SAPNY
Hey Nine49 - i am glad the noise went away - i hope it doesnt come back once you return from 5k service
I picked up my cpo with 12k miles this past saturday. I actually asked my sales person for the first service free and they said they dont do that... Hmmm - is it common for cali dealers?
If its is CPO and you got your card in the mail and certificate then the first service is always free.
Old 08-02-12, 10:57 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

The steering wheel column will have to be replaced soon, it is a known problem of the 3rd gen RX.
Old 08-02-12, 11:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatro40
The steering wheel column will have to be replaced soon, it is a known problem of the 3rd gen RX.
Please be more specific to why the steering column needs to be replaced? Is there a tsb for this? Thanks.
Old 08-02-12, 11:34 AM
nine49
Driver School Candidate

When I was searching for my RX, I went to couple of local dealers and both mentioned that first 5k service is free. I don't know if it's common for California dealers, but maybe one way for the local dealers to compete for business. The service department actually called me few days after the purchase and reminded me to come in for the free service after I drove the car for 5k miles.
Old 08-02-12, 01:32 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

I believe there is a TSB about it. The service guy showed me a bad column the problem is nothing mayor is a nut that gets loose and there is no way to re tighten it. They will try to grease it up first but if the sound is back, which it wil, they will order a new updated steering wheel column.
Old 08-02-12, 02:07 PM
the lof
Driver School Candidate

My 2010, the moaning from the steering wheel (slow turns) started at about 15K miles. Problem was to convince the dealer that there was a actual moaning sound. Solution was lubing the boot at the base of the steering wheel, end of the problem. Only one service rep. understood the cure for the problem.
Old 08-02-12, 05:58 PM
Mike95
Driver School Candidate

The steering column TSB is for a rattling noise over bumps. You can hear and sometimes even feel as if something is loose in the steering wheel. The noise you guys are talking about sounds like it would be another issue. Let us know what the techs say when you bring it in on Saturday.
Old 08-02-12, 07:21 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

nine49 - well my dealership did the 15k service and my car has 12k miles on it so i guess they are counting that as a free service
the lof - i think my car is doing the same thing you are explaining: hopefully my dealer understands the issue
quatro40 - the funny thing is they did the 161 point inspection on my car and im surprised they didnt catch this sound
mike - I will keep you guys updated on what happens at the dealership

Last edited by SAPNY; 08-02-12 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 07:50 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

nine49 - well my dealership did the 15k service and my car has 12k miles on it so i guess they are counting that as a free service
the lof - i think my car is doing the same thing you are explaining: hopefully my dealer understands the issue
quatro40 - the funny thing is they did the 161 point inspection on my car and im surprised they didnt catch this sound
mike - I will keep you guys updated on what happens at the dealership
If you search my posts, I had two 2010's RX 350 in one month, the first one had the bad steering wheel column plus the leaky shocks and bad trailing arm, and it was supposed to be certified, I called corporate and complaint and complaint and parked it there and drove a loaner for a month until they agree to change it. Now the one I have is developing all the same noises, plus a radio, climate system that seems to be possessed by a spirit and it changes stations, spits cd's, and turns off by itself, or sometimes when pressing any climate button in the head unit the radio would go out of wack, or when hitting pot holes, not fun driving in NYC with this crazy radio, so yeah it is endemic on the RX's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel makes a sound when turning?