RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 09:47 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ColAngus
I wouldn't dream of touching it for at least 7 years and likely 8. The first battery I've ever proactively replaced was in my Nissan and it's a 2003 with over 120,000km on it. It also experienced winters with temps as low as -35°C.
Stranded with a dead battery is the Diet Coke of stranded, too. A variety of readily available car batteries will instantly get you out of that bind compared to a severe mechanical issue. The crappy thing is that it'll likely happen in extreme cold if you live in a place like that.
$0.02
Perhaps I jinxed myself!
:facepalm:
About to replace my battery with a Costco one via this technique: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ttery-how.html
It's a 2011 RX350 with about 110,000 km on it. I am going to blame my kids for playing with those ceiling lights in the back seats that stay on all night for what I deem to be somewhat premature battery failure.
It left me "stranded" at my own house on a warm day, so I'm still predominantly an advocate of "run it until it dies". Although, I understand that many Lexus owners will not share my view on that.
Wish me luck in my replacement! I was pleased that the video I found indicates that I do not need to go to the dealer for any magical "reset" nonsense, or anything. Yay!
Old 12-20-16, 06:54 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My leased certified used 2012 RX350 (27,000 miles) is rarely driven here in Connecticut, and I needed a battery boost yesterday after temps dropped to about 17 degrees. The "tech" who boosted the car told me that there was battery "corrosion" and that I should buy a new Interstate battery. I think the battery in there is OEM. Tech also said that infrequent use of the car "screws up the advanced electronics: in the car, and that even while sitting in the driveway the car's battery is being "drained." I've driven it about 7,5000 miles in 18 months. So, is this tech correct? I'm checking to see if my certified car warranty covers any replacement cost here, but this is the first car I've owned with advanced electronics and just wanted to hear from our Forum members what they recommend. I see some people have recommended just spraying the terminals with Terminal cleaner (I've never done that in any car I've ever owned)..... Many thanks.
Old 12-21-16, 12:18 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Most batteries I've owned have lasted maybe 6 years before showing their age (slow cranking, headlights dimming significantly). One battery on our 1997 Mercury Mountaineer lasted over 10 years. By contrast, the battery on my elderly dad's 2009 Mazda6 failed rather catastrophically at the two-year mark, but then that was in Phoenix, which I suppose is tough on a car battery.

My 2010 RX450h is a horse of a different color. The 12v battery doesn't crank the engine, but if the voltage is below some threshold then the car simply won't turn on. No warnings. So last month I bought one of those cheap portable lithium starter battery packs (Walmart, $40). About the size and heft of a red brick, and if the RX's 12v battery someday quits I will be able to boost it quickly with this thing. Also has a good flashlight and 5v USB port built in--what's not to like?

From what I've read, all modern cars have circuits that drain several tens on milliamps continuously, so after 6 months or so of nonuse your battery is going to be significantly affected. One option is to buy a small solar panel that you can place on the dash and that plugs into the OBD port under the steering wheel. The trickle charge will eliminate the issue.

Last edited by riredale; 05-10-17 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mlucey (12-11-18)
Old 12-22-16, 04:36 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Best thing you can do to extend a battery's life is to exercise it.
Starting batteries are designed internally to provide a very high current for a short time.
Extended milli-amp loads will play havoc with it in the long term.

A deep cell battery, however, is designed to do the opposite. Long term small loads.
A high current discharge load will drastically shorten the life span.

I've been using a pair of dual purpose batteries in my boat the last 5 years.
Internal design lends itself to engine starting + running radio/amps & other small loads while on the hook.
Old 05-05-17, 12:59 PM
relax221
Driver

Default battery life

I have a 2013 rx 350 . How long do their batteries last ?
Old 05-05-17, 01:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There are so many variables, but 4-7 years seems to be reasonable. There will be outliers of course..
Old 05-06-17, 05:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Agree with the minimum 4. If you will notice the battery maker has scaled down their warranty. take for example Costco, when they had their Kirkland brand, it was was at least 48 months. Now the Interstate is just 42 months full replacement guarantee. Kirkland was made by Johnson Controls, I guess the negotiated price went dead. And I bet it is about the length of the warranty.
Old 05-06-17, 05:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Cost of owning a battery

Costco battery Interstate is average $90. Use it for 5, that's $18 per year.

Once you see that the battery is failing, replace it ASAP, it should give you at least 4 years, that's $22.50 per year, $0.063/day. Saves you the process of jumping. Especially if the car is not a daily driver.
Old 05-06-17, 08:24 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm currently at the 7 year mark on my original 12v Panasonic in my '10 RX450h. It's running perfectly with no issues. That said, I'm getting a battery this week just to make sure that I minimize/eliminate a potential death drain for my wife when she's out somewhere. Although there are reports of folks getting as much as 10 years life out of the OEM Panasoninc on the hybrids, I'm going to purchase my peace of mind "insurance" where it is right now and be happy that my wife will be driving around with a solid battery.
Old 05-08-17, 09:34 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by F250
I'm currently at the 7 year mark on my original 12v Panasonic in my '10 RX450h. It's running perfectly with no issues. That said, I'm getting a battery this week just to make sure that I minimize/eliminate a potential death drain for my wife when she's out somewhere. Although there are reports of folks getting as much as 10 years life out of the OEM Panasoninc on the hybrids, I'm going to purchase my peace of mind "insurance" where it is right now and be happy that my wife will be driving around with a solid battery.
Get an AGM battery to replace it. The 450h ironically uses the 12V battery a lot, because it's not being charged when the vehicle is coasting or running on electric. I bought a conventional battery for our '08 RX400h and had to replace it again too soon.
Old 05-08-17, 10:59 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

My battery of choice is the X2 Power, Group 35 AGM with Pure Lead technology. OEM battery is rated at 51-53 Ah's, and the X2 will give me a little more capacity with its 65 Ah rating. The X2 also has a much better warranty (full 5 year replacement) and is supposed to recharge much quicker as well due to the thinner layering of pure lead (not lead alloy) internal plates. OK... that's the sales pitch I received. I chose to buy it and see how it works out, and the X2 has turned out to be the same cost as the OEM replacement from Lexus ($279 locally). Now the challenge is just getting it here... Batteries Plus is telling me a week from this Wednesday. Fortunately, the existing battery is behaving quite well, so the delay should not be a problem.
Old 05-10-17, 06:28 AM
relax221
Driver

Default bought an Exide at pj's

My son installed in 10 minutes...saved over a hundred

thanks everyone
Old 05-10-17, 10:22 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Many places will install batteries for free.
Old 05-11-17, 12:18 PM
Lead Lap

Received 762 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Get an AGM battery to replace it. The 450h ironically uses the 12V battery a lot, because it's not being charged when the vehicle is coasting or running on electric. I bought a conventional battery for our '08 RX400h and had to replace it again too soon.
thats incorrect. The 12v battery is always charged from the traction battery when the car is in ready mode.
Old 05-11-17, 12:21 PM
Lead Lap

Received 762 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
you could measure the state of charge after the car has sat there overnight. Mine has about 50% capacity on the original oem battery from 2011.

Quick Reply: Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)