RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Paint flaking off grille - 2013 RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 10:38 AM
Biscayne1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint flaking off grille - 2013 RX

Our 2013 RX350 is experiencing some paint flaking on the grille, see photo. No apparent reason for the cause. Has anyone else experienced this? Cost or ideas on how to fix it? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Paint flaking off grille - 2013 RX-rxgrille.jpg  
Old 02-17-16, 01:07 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I have a spot on my 14 RX too, not to the extent that you do though. I doubt they make a touch-up for that grill color but, you could ask the dealer. It appears you need to have that grill repainted. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 02-17-16, 03:38 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I'm going to stop the dealer tomorrow and ask if there is any service bulletins on this issue. So far, it's just you and me that have this problem. It appears to be a paint adhesion problem. Maybe others will chime in with the same problem. I know that mine has not been repainted causing speculation as to why it may be peeling.
Old 02-17-16, 09:44 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I have a small spot on my grill too. Dealer says something struck it but you cannot see any imperfections in the underlying plastic with the naked eye to suggest any sort of impact. Mine is about the size of a small pea but looks exactly like yours.

If you figure out how to best repair the spot, please post your solution.
Old 02-24-16, 03:44 PM
Biscayne1
Driver School Candidate

Just checking in, did anyone find anything out about this? Is there a service bulletin? Thanks again.
Old 02-24-16, 09:43 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Solved mine by trading in for a new NX-300h

Seriously, I was looking at having it repainted or just buying an OEM replacement. I wouldn't have been able to ignore it much longer, but we decided to trade into a vehicle that fit my wife's verticle stature better

Old 02-25-16, 10:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Doug, I think that qualifies more for the "what did you do to your 3RX today' thread. Congrats on the NXh. It sure does get rid of the peeling grill problem. For the others you can take it up with the dealer to see if they'll do anything for you and check for TSBs. Good luck.
Old 04-01-16, 04:05 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Stopped by dealer yesterday and showed it to a service writer. He took a photo of it and will show to their Lexus rep. and get back with me. He stated he has seen this problem on other cars that come in. So far there is no TSB on this issue. I wonder if the bumper will have to be removed to replace or repaint ?
Old 04-01-16, 12:44 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Dealer called today and is going to replace it next week, no charge! It appears that some of these grills have a paint adhesion problem.
Old 04-03-16, 04:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by charley95
Dealer called today and is going to replace it next week, no charge! It appears that some of these grills have a paint adhesion problem.
Excellent. Makes me all the more irritated that my dealer blamed my peeling grill paint on an impact. I'm sure our new NX grill is just painted plastic as well but it is a smooth finish rather than the matte, and the clear bra covers all the thicker horizontal "bars" on the grill so hopefully I won't see this again.

Anyway, good effort on your part. I should have pressed harder. They gave me a great trade-in since the vehicle was perfect in all other respects, so I they didn't try to use that blemish against me as a bargaining tool - at least not overtly.
Old 04-04-16, 05:37 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I think some of it must be impact but, the paint will begin to peel beyond the impact damage. The service writer has seen this before and is probably the reason their going to replace it. It's too bad they have to take the whole bumper off to access the screws that hold the grill in place. I wished I would've got the Expel for the front section due to all the chips on the bumper and hood. I use Dr. Colorchip for the other paint chips which works good. Next new car will get the Expel treatment.
Old 04-04-16, 09:50 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Definitely a paint adhesion issue.

The grille is supposed to last a long time, in terms of paint and chrome. Like 10 years easy. They are subjected to a lot of impact testing so that the paint is evaluated for adhesion and chipping.
Old 04-07-16, 02:40 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Just got back from the dealer after having my grill replaced. If anyone has their grill replaced the bumper has to be removed in order to install the new one. Very happy with it and it looks much better than the old one with peeling paint.
Old 11-07-16, 02:38 PM
mlpohio
Driver School Candidate

Cool flaking paint on grill RX2013

I am glad to hear that I am not the only on with this issue. My dealer said it was not an issue that Lexus has had before and must be caused by stone clips. They did the same thing took pictures sent to Lexus and reported back that can not do anything. I told them that this was may 3rd RX and never had flaking paint issue before. Now i have the back up that i was looking for thank you. I will be going back to the dealer next week.
Old 11-07-16, 04:28 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mlpohio
I am glad to hear that I am not the only on with this issue. My dealer said it was not an issue that Lexus has had before and must be caused by stone clips. They did the same thing took pictures sent to Lexus and reported back that can not do anything. I told them that this was may 3rd RX and never had flaking paint issue before. Now i have the back up that i was looking for thank you. I will be going back to the dealer next week.
You can PM if you'd like. My dealer took photos and sent them to a Lexus rep. to get the ok. I think some grills had bad paint adhesion from the factory and when it's nicked by a rock the paint continues to peel further. You can ask why my claim was approved and yours wasn't.

Quick Reply: Paint flaking off grille - 2013 RX