RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

BRAKEBEST SELECT Brake Pad

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 06:22 PM
nmnunna32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKEBEST SELECT Brake Pad

Any body has experience with brake pad brand called BRAKEBEST SELECT ? I am thinking of getting this for my 2010 RX350. O'Reilly carries it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0068&ppt=C0009
Old 02-06-16, 07:19 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with akebono brake pads good stopping power and great price.
Old 02-06-16, 07:56 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with isfdude, Akebono pads are good. Nothing wrong with OE either, they don't cost that much more.
Old 02-07-16, 02:56 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With seawell's gone it is very hard to find OE pads online. The sellers label everything direct fit which I don't think are OE. I am in the market for a front brake job and with quite a bit of rust on the rotors will change them out.
Old 02-07-16, 08:05 PM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nmnunna32
Any body has experience with brake pad brand called BRAKEBEST SELECT ? I am thinking of getting this for my 2010 RX350. O'Reilly carries it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0068&ppt=C0009
I have never used the pads you described, however Toyota non-performance pads suck in my opinion when it comes to stopping power so Brake Best pads probably could not be worst than the OEM pads.

I have some non-OEM brake pads(grayish pads), do not know the brand but they stop a lot better(better initial bite) than a couple of newer 2014 RX350 I test drove with stock pads(black pads) at the Lexus dealership when I was shopping around for a used RX350.

I will buy some EBC Yellow pads when my current pads wear out.
Old 02-08-16, 12:48 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy75
I have never used the pads you described, however Toyota non-performance pads suck in my opinion when it comes to stopping power so Brake Best pads probably could not be worst than the OEM pads.

I have some non-OEM brake pads(grayish pads), do not know the brand but they stop a lot better(better initial bite) than a couple of newer 2014 RX350 I test drove with stock pads(black pads) at the Lexus dealership when I was shopping around for a used RX350.

I will buy some EBC Yellow pads when my current pads wear out.
Are the pads you have called Wagner thermo quiet? They are ceramic pads in a dark silver.
Old 02-08-16, 01:07 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by isfdude
Are the pads you have called Wagner thermo quiet? They are ceramic pads in a dark silver.
I do not know.

I bought the RX used from a non-Lexus dealer with the pads already installed.

I only know that the pads are fairly new and they stop very well, actually better than a few newer RX350 I test drove.

I was thinking that they were stock pads until I noticed that Lexus use black pads on the 2011 RX.

I have installed Wagner Thermo Quiets on my old FX45 and my wife's old Nissan Murano which were gray like the ones on my RX.

The Thermo pads are great performing pads, which may be what i have on my RX.

If so then i will use them again after I try the EBC Yellow pads out.

I will learn what they are when i do a pad swap, which may be a while judging by the pad depth.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-08-16 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 06:24 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Why are you going for the EBC yellowstuff over the greenstuff for a big SUV when it appears the yellows are really for smaller higher performance vehicles and street racing, higher performance driving vehicles? I considered the greenstuff but the high price turned me away.

I put the new Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pad on my RX, they somehow combine a ceramic and semi-metallic pad. So far they appear to be quiet, with good initial bite and stop at least as quick as the OEM pads with good pedal feel and a great price.
Here is a comparison at bobistheoilguy http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s._Raybestos_E
Old 02-08-16, 08:45 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone use anything else but the stock parts, when OEM is relatively inexpensive, provides decent braking power, low dust, and will easily last 2-3 years.
Old 02-09-16, 06:04 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Why would anyone use anything else but the stock parts, when OEM is relatively inexpensive, provides decent braking power, low dust, and will easily last 2-3 years.
You said it yourself(actually typed it), the stock pads have "decent" stopping power.

Some owners like myself like stronger stopping power and fade resistance than what the stock pads provide.

Lexus cars in general does worst than many other makes in comparison test when it comes to stopping distance and brake fade, and most i have test drove reinforces those reviews.

However, I and my wife commute to the city everyday and have to be able to stop at a moment notice;sometimes repeatedly which cause lesser pads to fade.

Plus, I rather have a car that stops quick enough to prevent me from rear-ending someone since in my area it is best to be rear-ended than rear-ending someone else in traffic.

With the stock pads I would likely read-end someone that suddenly stops for whatever reason, happens all the time in Atlanta traffic.
Old 02-09-16, 06:11 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Why are you going for the EBC yellowstuff over the greenstuff for a big SUV when it appears the yellows are really for smaller higher performance vehicles and street racing, higher performance driving vehicles? I considered the greenstuff but the high price turned me away.

I put the new Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pad on my RX, they somehow combine a ceramic and semi-metallic pad. So far they appear to be quiet, with good initial bite and stop at least as quick as the OEM pads with good pedal feel and a great price.
Here is a comparison at bobistheoilguy http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...s._Raybestos_E
I am going to try the Yellow stuff SUV pads.
http://ebcbrakes.com/ebc_product_rev...rmance-brakes/

The RX AWD is very heavy at over 4500lbs, hence why i am trying the beefier pad.

I rather have too much brake friction, than not enough or just enough since i(mostly wife) do use the brakes often during a daily commute to work.

Personal choice.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-09-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-18-16, 09:38 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Correction:

I have just discovered that my RX have stock pads after I found the service history.

I looked online and have noticed that some RX do in fact have gray/silver painted pads and calipers so I guess I was wrong about my pad brand.

I guess the difference in braking could be that the models I tested had the VDIM system that is more accurate when it comes to controlling the braking force needed than my regular VSC system which would let you just slam of the brakes even when not needed.

To be honest I never test drove another pre-2013 AWD RX350 except the one I bought so maybe the non-VDIM have more bite.

I have noticed that every RX350 tested by the auto magazines had the VDIM system which gave them longer braking distance in the test.

Furthermore, i read that Lexus is recalling a lot of the older RX models with the VDIM system due to some issues that affect braking performance.

So maybe the two 2013 RX Sport models I test drove had those issues because the braking was weak compared to the one I have now.

Correction again:

The VDIM recall only affects the 2010-2011 models with the system.

I just noticed on my service sheet that my RX350 got a brake fluid flush at 62k miles which could account for the better braking feel compared to the 2013 models I tested which may needed a brake fluid change.

So I really do not know why the 2011 felt better than the 2013s when braking on my test drives.

Maybe just my imagination.

No more thread jacking for me, back to the Best Brake topic.

Last edited by carguy75; 02-18-16 at 12:09 PM.