RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2 Years with my RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 01:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Default 2 Years with my RX

Just the other day I realized we have had our ’13 RX350 (and our IS) for 2 years this week!

We bought the RX in October 2013, after a day spent reviewing all the competition at the Seattle International Auto Show, followed up by several test drives. We decided on the RX and haven’t looked back. We got a smoking deal on one of the last 2013s, and had the easiest purchasing experience of any car I’ve bought. In fact, it was so good I went back a few days later and bought my IS.

Unfortunately the RX was rear-ended several days ago so it is now in the shop, with just over $1600 in damage.

After 2 years and 22,000 miles, here are some positives and negatives of our ownership experience.

Negatives:

- I struggle with the infotainment system. We love the navigation function, but I think Enform is poorly integrated. For example, when using Pandora through Enform, I cannot seem to pull up the application screen without disabling Pandora. When clicking “Media” or “Radio” from the home menu, it’ll toggle over to the next music source, like Satellite or whatever is next, when all I want to do is pull up the Pandora screen to view the name of the artist or change to a different station. This is very easy to do with the Gen 8 nav system in my IS.
- I wish the backup camera had the parking lines like my IS does.

Positives:

- Smoothness. It’s a bit hard to accurately explain, but there is a very effortless, smooth way that the RX does everything. From the operation of the controls, to the 3.5 V6 that never gets rough. It has a smooth, compliant ride, and the doors close with a solid feel.
- Power. As I mentioned, the 3.5 is a great engine. It’s plenty competent around town, and when needed, has surprising passing power. I love it.
- Space. We’ve taken road trips with both kids, which involves taking strollers, pack’n plays, bikes, toys, etc, all in great comfort. It will easily hold our double BOB jogging stroller, and anything else we throw at it. I’ve carried 7’ 2x4s, and large sheets of plywood, even a twin mattress.
- Comfort. The seats are soft yet supportive. The heated/ventilated functions are useful. Both car seats fit easily in the back, with room for an adult or a third car seat between them. It is very easy to get the kids in and out of the RX.
- Reliability. Simply stated, it’s been perfect. Not a single squeak or rattle, or any other issue.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is an awesome feature that we get a lot of use out of. We also enjoy the Levinson sound, blind spot monitor, the automatic wipers, tilt down and auto folding mirrors, and the memory seating. The LED map lights are a nice touch as well.

Overall, we’re very pleased with our RX. Our lease will be up in one more year, and we don’t yet know what we will replace it with. The RX will be a tough act to follow!
Jeff

Old 10-26-15, 01:36 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice write up.

We've had ours now for over a year (9K miles) and the more I drive it the more I appreciate the refinement of the RX. So far, so good!!
Old 10-26-15, 02:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I was first wondering why your '13 RX is only 2 years old when ours has hit 3. Nice color choice.
The infotainment/navigation system in the RX is a joke. I'm much happier with the "dated" MMI in the Audi S4 I just got. This being my first German car, I will say that the Audi excels at everything Lexus does. I hope it stays as reliable. In case you were looking for leasing ideas.
Old 10-26-15, 02:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT4
Nice write up.

We've had ours now for over a year (9K miles) and the more I drive it the more I appreciate the refinement of the RX. So far, so good!!
Thanks! I wasn't expecting to like the RX as much as I do. It's been a pleasant surprise.

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I was first wondering why your '13 RX is only 2 years old when ours has hit 3. Nice color choice.
The infotainment/navigation system in the RX is a joke. I'm much happier with the "dated" MMI in the Audi S4 I just got. This being my first German car, I will say that the Audi excels at everything Lexus does. I hope it stays as reliable. In case you were looking for leasing ideas.
NGP for the win!

I did not realize you picked up an S4, manual no less! Fun!
Old 10-27-15, 07:21 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
NGP for the win!

I did not realize you picked up an S4, manual no less! Fun!
Last month, Audi announced that S4 will be a manual no more. Not only 2017 B9 will be torque-converter auto-only, they also stopped production of 2016 B8.5 manuals, so whatever was on the boat was the last of it.
I found an S4 with the features I liked in VA and traded in my STi.
I'm not to fond of gray color choices available on the S4. Nothing close to NGP on the RX or GGP I liked so much on my IS300. We decided to go with a more formal Black Metallic for the Audi. It looks stunning when it is clean. So, the S4 will likely get a car wash more often than the RX.
I will admit, the S4 is a blast to drive. And it competes with the RX on the comfort level, which my STi never could.
Old 10-29-15, 08:26 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel exactly the same. Except after 4 years! What a car!
Old 10-30-15, 08:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Me too, just shy of 6 years

Thanks for the write up, JDR. I hope your RX gets better soon. And how about another one when the lease is up? They only get better and better over time.
Old 11-03-15, 12:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Both my wife and I love the new 4RX, and had been seriously contemplating one. However, we've come to realize that we would really like to have a 3rd row, so unfortunately we'll need to look elsewhere for a replacement.
Old 11-03-15, 01:30 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Both my wife and I love the new 4RX, and had been seriously contemplating one. However, we've come to realize that we would really like to have a 3rd row, so unfortunately we'll need to look elsewhere for a replacement.
Then you'll enjoy this read as much as I did:
http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-le...yor-1696229064
Old 11-03-15, 01:39 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I've been eyeing the new Pilot as a potential replacement, should we need more than 5 seats, which we occasionally do. It seats 8 and has plenty of modern tech, such as a touchscreen with pinch and swipe. So, it's light years ahead of Lexus.
Old 11-03-15, 01:43 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I've been eyeing the new Pilot as a potential replacement, should we need more than 5 seats, which we occasionally do. It seats 8 and has plenty of modern tech, such as a touchscreen with pinch and swipe. So, it's light years ahead of Lexus.
and around $10K cheaper than a '16 RX comparably equipped.
Old 11-03-15, 01:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The Pilot has yet to grow on me. The front looks a lot like a large CR-V and the side is very much like a Chevrolet Traverse.

My wife is wanting to downsize a bit (she drives the RX daily), so we're considering perhaps a RAV4 Hybrid or NX for her commute. However, if we do that, we'll still need to find something larger and more family oriented for weekends/trips/etc.
Old 11-03-15, 05:16 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdr76
the pilot has yet to grow on me. The front looks a lot like a large cr-v and the side is very much like a chevrolet traverse.

My wife is wanting to downsize a bit (she drives the rx daily), so we're considering perhaps a rav4 hybrid or nx for her commute. however, if we do that, we'll still need to find something larger and more family oriented for weekends/trips/etc.

What about a GX?
Old 11-04-15, 07:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT4
[/b]

What about a GX?
I'm 100% on board with the GX. It reminds me a lot of my previous V8 4Runner that I loved so much. I just need to convince the wife that this is an option. It helps that her friend/coworker just went from an RX to a GX and raves about it all of the time. The problem is that we are looking at buying a bigger house here and a vacation home in Hawaii, so my wife is very focused on lowering costs where we can, which will make the GX a bit of a tough sell. I'm still going to try, though.
Old 11-04-15, 09:15 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 100% on board with the GX. It reminds me a lot of my previous V8 4Runner that I loved so much. I just need to convince the wife that this is an option. It helps that her friend/coworker just went from an RX to a GX and raves about it all of the time. The problem is that we are looking at buying a bigger house here and a vacation home in Hawaii, so my wife is very focused on lowering costs where we can, which will make the GX a bit of a tough sell. I'm still going to try, though.
Makes sense..

We love the RX but did consider the GX before the RX, my wife liked everything about it except the way the cargo door opens. She could not get past the door opening left to right..

I tried to convince her and it almost worked. But then I figured I'd better back off because if she really isnt happy I'm the one who's going to hear it for the next 3 years.

Quick Reply: 2 Years with my RX