RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Car Cover for RX (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 08:31 AM
snow001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover for RX (merged threads)

Unfortunately we will be using our garage for storage in the next few weeks or so and the Rx has to be parked in the driveway. Last time I asked our local dealer, the Lexus car cover was still not available in the market, does anyone use a third party cover that I can use for the mean time. Would really appreciate your suggestions regarding this matter.

thanks
Old 06-02-11, 01:57 PM
brwilli
Driver School Candidate

Default RX car covers

I'm wondering if I want to think about getting a car cover for my RX450h. I've never used one before, but all of the pollen, bird crap, etc this spring is driving me crazy. Every time I think I've parked in a good spot, some other stuff rains down on my two month old car.

Do people have opinions on using covers, and if so, opinions on type? I looked at Sewell and can't find any. I googled and found The Cover Store with lots of choices. http://www.the-cover-store.com/Car-C...omparison.aspx

Has this been covered (pun intended) in previous threads? I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Thanks
Bruce
2011 RX450h AWD Smokey Quartz Mica
Old 06-02-11, 06:50 PM
timlrx11
Driver

If you are a Costco member you may want to check this out this LINK
Old 06-02-11, 09:04 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I do have a garage to park most of the time. However, I do have the cover from my previous LS430, but it does not fit the RX350 very well. I use the Maguires Quick Detailer spray on and wipe off liquid to get rid of the minor tree sap, etc. works great. Guess it would be better with the cover and not get the contaminants in the first place. I've been waiting for someone to contact me and purchase my old LS430 cover.
Old 06-23-11, 12:02 PM
mdv
Driver School Candidate

Default Car cover

Was wondering if anyone has gotten the Lexus car cover for there car or a after market one. Would like to get one and was wondering about the materials used.
Old 06-23-11, 06:54 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really use it. However i just bought a thin cheapy one just in case. Make sure it has to be BREATHABLE. I read some article online that the cover ruined paint of the car so bad if we pick the wrong materials.
Old 06-24-11, 01:55 PM
timlrx11
Driver

If you are a Costco member, you may want to check out under Automotive - Car & Truck Accessories section. There are some mixed reviews... but mostly favorable. And the price is reasonable. Currently it's $30 off.
Old 09-22-11, 04:20 PM
tdgandmsb
Driver School Candidate

Default rx350 car cover.

Hello: Can anyone suggest easy way to buy basic car cover sure to fit 2011 rx350? Costco? Thanks, all.
Old 02-01-15, 10:38 AM
KarenJM
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Cover for RX

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cover for the RX 450h? Our car is used primarily on the weekend and is parked in a garage under our building. However, the garage is exposed on one wall and unfortunately our space is along that exposed wall. I park with the 'nose' points inward but when we have a blizzard as we just did, the snow can blow in. We love this car and would like to get a cover for it. The forum has been very helpful and I highly value the opinions from the forum members.

Karen
2013 450h
Old 02-01-15, 03:00 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a base line reference for pricing. Lots of various covers on the market.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2995.html

We're in Saint John, NB. 32" snow this week, another 24 coming.

Where in MA & how much snow ?
Old 02-01-15, 03:07 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had great success with "Form-Fit" covers from Covercraft for many years. Check multiple online sources where you'll find they all resell the same brand-name custom covers for best pricing. If you search enough, you'll also find some other custom covers from some well known companies that interestingly enough have the same, or sometimes a subset of, options as what you can get from Covercraft (same name colors, types of special material, etc) but just with different pricing, maybe a free bag for the cover, or a stenciled brand name of some sort on the cover. My impression is Covercraft has got the market in lots of directions.

Anyway, you'll find you can buy cheaper and non-name covers that have more generic shapes, but I caution you against that since your car will be partially exposed to the elements. IMHO, it's worth the money to have a custom-fit cover to reduce wind possibly blowing it off, and reducing the potential of it flapping in the wind that could over time cause problems with your finish. The other thing is, pay attention to the options on type of material you have the cover made out of (use the Covercraft site for best descriptions, then when you know what you want, let your fingers do the walking for pricing). You don't have to buy the best material since your car will be partially covered, but that's up to you. Also, consider once you have the cover, stenciling your license number onto the front and back to hopefully reduce the potential of some vandal taking it, and if you are more concerned, you can of course put a small cable under the car that attaches to standard grommets on both sides of the vehicle with a little padlock -- that can easily be defeated, but is another deterrent if it helps your piece of mind in an open garage/carport. Oh, and my **** self when it comes to having a clean ride must suggest: Please don't put your cover on a dirty RX. Your finish will thank you in the years to come. :-)
Old 02-01-15, 03:21 PM
KarenJM
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Cover

Thank you both. We live in Brookline (just outside of Boston), Massachusetts. We had about 23 inches last week but very windy and another 8-12 inches predicted for tomorrow. I walk to work (hospitals, one mile each way).

Karen
Old 02-01-15, 04:00 PM
wallykeys
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using Cover craft covers for years. I've usually bought the "Noah series" Cover Craft cover, but I've also bought their "Weather shield" covers as well. I'm not sure what type of cover will work for your needs, but I will recommend a great retailer. I rarely suggest retailers, but I've been going to this company for several years now and find their knowledge and service are great.
http://www.bigskycarcovers.com

One thing I would suggest, is that you ask for the "Larger mirror pockets" with any cover you might get. With the cover on and the mirrors are folded, I think the cover gets pulled a bit too tight.
Old 02-01-15, 05:42 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KarenJM
We live in Brookline (just outside of Boston)
My wife has family in Worcester Mass. Weather channel showing they got hammered too.
Old 02-02-15, 12:31 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is probably not going to be my most useful post .... but, I've used car covers on Lexus vehicles for about 20 years. I've owned the OEM Lexus covers and third party covers. The Lexus OEM covers can be great if you are covering a car in your own garage or using it while at work or for other light duty. But in 2013, I ordered a cover for my daughters Prius. I don't have the cover name or the vendor handy. But if you do a Google search for car cover, many suppliers will come up and they will offer various grades of car covers. Many sites will have a table comparing the features of the covers. My daughter was leaving her Prius at my house and going to Sweden for what turned out to be a year. The cover I purchased was a multilayer cover that was designed to stand up to weather and it was significantly better than the Lexus OEM covers. By multilayer, I mean the cover had an outer layer that was dimpled and other layers to give it the weather resistant properties. My point is that the high tech covers that are custom built for your car can be really nice. They can also be expensive. I can't remember the exact price, but it was something like $200 or maybe a little more. Many of the car cover vendors will discount if pushed on the phone. One other consideration is that the cover for a RX will take some room to store when not in use. Dealing with Snow and rain, I would definitely go with a weather resistant third party cover.

I think it was this cover (but, not positive): http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/60A1012A0A0.aspx

Last edited by UCSB; 02-02-15 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Cover for RX (merged threads)