RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Red headed step child...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 12:37 PM
Kip Durran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red headed step child...

I just got my 2015 Rx450h a couple of weeks ago. I am very happy with it.

They gave me a loaner car during this time, a 2014 IS.

The nav system is so much more flexible in that model. There are so many more ways to customize the display, have 3 things including the weather on the main screen. Even the HD radio works a bit differently.

I just plain seems to be more feature rich.

It is just software, isn't it?

Why doesn't my new system have some of the features?

I remember when I got my 2006 Rx400h (with 106k miles that I traded for this car) and It also did not have some of the features that a lower priced car had. I remember the conspicuous absence of an aux-in port.

Jeesh......
Old 06-17-14, 01:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As an owner of both systems, I definitely agree. The navigation system in the IS is much more capable than that of the RX. The new IS, along with the new CT and GX are the first models to roll out the new navigation system. I suspect the rest of the models will incorporate it with major updates/redesigns. I would expect the 2016 RX, if it is indeed a new model, will have this new system.

My understanding is that no, it is not software only, and therefore would take more than just a software upload to incorporate it.

For those who are not aware, just as Kip stated, you can split the screen up to three ways. On mine, I show nav, weather, and radio. Fuel consumption and HVAC settings are other options to be displayed. It's easy to toggle between full screens of any of those. For example, I can click on the radio portion and go full screen radio, with all controls readily available.

The best feature is the much better voice command system. I can launch and control all Enform apps from voice, such as "launch Bing" or "launch Pandora". Once in those apps, I can still control via voice. In Pandora I can say "Nirvana" or in Bing I can tell it to search for "King's Teriyaki" without having to touch any key but the voice command button on my steering wheel. I can enter an address by stating the entire address at once, like "123 Main street, Seattle, WA" rather than separating the number, street, and city.

Another bonus is that weather and traffic now come via HD Radio, not via satellite, so it is free for life without any subscriptions to Sirius/XM.
Old 06-17-14, 02:34 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Wow, thanks for explaining the new navigation system. As an owner of a 2010 RX 350 I am looking forward to seeing the new redesigned 2016 RX. If it has all of the capabilities stated above it may be time to trade.
Old 06-18-14, 12:29 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Update:

Checked with the local Lexus dealer today and asked about the 2016 RX having the next gen Nav sys like the IS. They said "not sure" as it is "not as reliable" as the current nav system in the 2015 RX.

Also read where the IS Nav sys has had some "issues" requiring some "fixes".

No one there had any idea what changes are in store for the 2016 RX so right now waiting for it may be a crap shoot. The wife does not like the spindle grill so if the 2016 RX has a dominant one we will be bailing out on the 16 and getting a 15 with possible discount. The spindle on the 15 is "not so bad" in her opinion. Seems like it may have been toned down for its traditional market. Don't think we would be interested in a "baby RX" as some are calling the NX. Already had a Rav4.
Old 06-18-14, 01:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The new nav system is indeed a bit glitchy, but is, at least in my opinion, still worth it. The problems are being worked out with software updates. My dealer recently updated it for me and now it is working fine.

I suspect we'll start seeing some details of the 2016 RX this fall. Can't wait to see what's in store!
Old 06-18-14, 02:13 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Navigation system of ALL Car manufacturers, both foreign and domestic are 2-3 years behind once they rolled out. And the price they charged for it is simply ridiculous.
Except for Tesla, it's very hard if not impossible to update the system yourself.

You have to pay close to $500 for a simple software and map updates, which doesn't necessarily change the user interface dramatically.
You still have the dated system, the only thing " new" is a bunch of POIs and some newer streets.

Maybe the upcoming QNX ( BLACKBERRY) integration for newer cars can change that game..

Right now, the only work around available is " mirroring", where you use the car infotainment screen to "mirror" your smartphone. THIS, provides better navigation since you'll be using either Google/ Apple straight from your smartphone.

Last edited by markrivers; 06-18-14 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-18-14, 03:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Except for Tesla, it's very hard if not impossible to update the system yourself.
Am with you on this topic, Mark. Hopefully, some of Tesla will rub off on the other manufacturers. Had a chance to spend some time at the local Tesla shop, is actually closer than the closest Lexus dealer, and it was very eye opening.