RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sticky residue after paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 01:22 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sticky residue after paint job

Hi,

The dealer I bought my 2013 Lexus from just had a body shop repaint part of the bumper due to a scratch. When I picked up the car, I didn't notice there was some sort of sticky residue on the door and some other panels. It feels like some sort of rubbery glue, and it comes of cleanly when I rub it with my finger. But I am wondering now what is the proper way to remove that. A car wash didn't really help much.

The dealer is about 2 hours away, so I don't really want to go back there for something minor like this if I can avoid it.

Thanks
Old 09-25-13, 02:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd use a bit of Goo Gone (or equivalent) on a cloth, that should remove the stickiness.
Old 09-25-13, 02:12 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll let others chime in with a specific recommendation, but I suggest you first just call your dealer. Be polite and factual, but explain what you're seeing and ask for their recommendation how to remove it. You'll probably get the BEST recommendation from them, and at the same time provide them some important feedback on their body shop so they can nip a potential problem in the bud for other customers like yourself in the future. Good luck!
Old 09-25-13, 04:35 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I'd use a bit of Goo Gone (or equivalent) on a cloth, that should remove the stickiness.

Is that safe to use on car paint?
Old 09-25-13, 04:39 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's coming off by just wiping your finger on it, don't use goo gone. There are times I've seen it used, but nothing good on the clear coat ever comes from it. Usually is used after rebadging or de badging a car. Might try some cleaner wax on a microfiber cloth. Try a small test area on whatever method you use though. Preferably in a low visibility area.
Old 09-25-13, 06:39 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by konradsa
Is that safe to use on car paint?
Goo Gone has very light distillates .... most evaporates quickly. Safe to use on clear coat ... if you want you can wipe clean with damp cloth. Don't think Lexus is using some magic solution to clean these sorts of conditions. Chemicals rule.

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
If it's coming off by just wiping your finger on it, don't use goo gone. There are times I've seen it used, but nothing good on the clear coat ever comes from it. Usually is used after rebadging or de badging a car. Might try some cleaner wax on a microfiber cloth.
If it's sticky you need to cut it....cleaner wax or just a microfiber cloth won't do it. Goo Gone is about as safe as you can get ..... very mild.
Old 09-25-13, 08:26 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by konradsa
Hi,

The dealer I bought my 2013 Lexus from just had a body shop repaint part of the bumper due to a scratch. When I picked up the car, I didn't notice there was some sort of sticky residue on the door and some other panels. It feels like some sort of rubbery glue, and it comes of cleanly when I rub it with my finger. But I am wondering now what is the proper way to remove that. A car wash didn't really help much.

The dealer is about 2 hours away, so I don't really want to go back there for something minor like this if I can avoid it.

Thanks
I am curious what that sticky residue might be.
Simonize?
Old 09-25-13, 08:30 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly residue from taping areas off?
Old 09-26-13, 10:10 AM
konradsa
Rookie

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I am curious what that sticky residue might be.
Simonize?
Well, I'd like to know too. Looks like somebody tried to wipe it off when it was in liquid form, but did a bad job and just spread it all over. If you rub hard with the finger, it takes a little bit but eventually comes off cleanly. But the area is too large so that I could rub it all off with my finger.

Actually, I realize sticky may be a little misleading. It's sticking to the car and you can rub it off, but it's not sticky right now when you just touch it with your fingers.

Last edited by konradsa; 09-26-13 at 10:15 AM.