Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-01, 12:30 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My body shop put a nice long scratch all the way down the driver's side of my car when they washed my GS. He's not really admitting to it, but he was going to take it out since I've had some hassles with them. I picked up the clay bar when I went on my Zaino purchasing binge. I'm wondering if I should let him take the scratch out, or do it myself. I'd say it's about half of a key scratch -- it goes into the paint, yet it's not too deep. Does clay take care of this stuff, or is it for minor scratches only? The body shop guy said he'd use 2000 grit polish (or sandpaper??) with a little bit of shampoo for lubricant.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 08-04-01, 01:16 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Clay Bar

Brian - Nope, the Z-18 Claybar will only remove surface imperfections like tar; tree sap; etc, from your paint. To remove scratches, U need to buff the paint job. Not too sure how good your bodyman is but he may clear up the scratches in the keyed area with the 2000 grit but then the surrounding panels may look bad. Why not ask how much he'd charge to do the whole car? The Z-5 is a great product for us as we both have black GS's but all it does is fill in & hide the scratches. Even thought Sal Z. doesn't recommend it because of the lack of clear coat on the Lexus black, I buff my GS out once a year ( either myself or my bodyman, depending on cash flow & my energy level! ). Then the Z-5 keeps me looking scratch-free until it's time to do it again!
Old 08-04-01, 02:49 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Zaino rocks ! It does wonders to my wheels. I need to put on my shades when I am looking at it cuz the sun reflecting off it is hurting my eyes

Mean Gene, have you used the Zaino window cleaner? If so, how is it? Does it attract alot of dust? My eagle 1 is almost out and am looking around for the best window cleaner. For some reason, after I clean my windows with E-1 and leave it over night in my garage, there is a thin film of dust in the morning
Old 08-04-01, 10:28 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I wouldn't pay him to do the whole car since he scratched it in the first place (I think with one of those California water blades). Beside that, I pretty much want to get what needs to be done to my car and get the heck away from them -- too much bad karma. When I had a scratch on my passenger side, I got some fine grit turtle wax stuff and buffed it out. The scratch was gone, but then I had a spider webbing look of lots small scratches, leading me to believe I did it wrong. I would almost rather do it myself, but I want to do it right. On the other hand, they've got to wet-sand my newly painted bumper to get the orange peel right. I guess if they can do that right, they can probably properly get a small scratch out. Who knows?

Sorry for being all the map with this post.

Brian
Old 08-05-01, 04:46 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Haven't Used It Yet!

Diesel - I haven't used the Zaino window cleaner but have some on order as we speak. If it's anything like Sal's other priducts, I figure it'll rock as well!! His leather cleaner is the best I've used. As an alternative, Griot's window cleaner comes highly recommended by some of the other Members around here.
Old 08-05-01, 05:20 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Okay Mean Gene, be sure to tell us how it works out !! Thanks !