RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX rear wiper replacement (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 12:33 PM
alexnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Took me all of ten seconds to find at least one mention.
Thanks for this helpful link! It took ME all of 5 seconds to find it. It was one of the ones I mentioned in my original post where the subject got changed from blades to refills. I'm asking about the
wiper blade wiper blade
not refill.
Old 02-15-14, 03:00 PM
alexnguyen
Driver School Candidate

FWIW - this is no longer an issue for me since the retailer has kindly agreed to take a return, but if someone knows the answer it might help another fellow Lexus owner.
Old 07-25-14, 09:30 AM
MrCelloBoy
Driver School Candidate

Default RX450H Wiper blade replacement

I bought replacement blades for Drivers side and rear window.

I'm half-way mechanical... OK , maybe 1/4. It appears that the blades themselves are not replaceable; only the refill (squeegee) portion is. is this correct?

Front-drivers-side actually looks like the complete blade may come off, but it's not obvious how it releases.
The rear appears to have no way to easily remove the complete blade.
Old 07-25-14, 09:55 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't mention the model year but see if this helps. I think most folks change the inserts. Also, see this thread.
Old 07-25-14, 10:06 AM
MrCelloBoy
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010

Sorry; 2010.
And I did see that link earlier. My blades have no such obvious clip as shown in the illustrations, and I noted that the description says "most" blades are held this way.

Not mine!
Old 07-25-14, 10:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

Almost sounds like the blades are aftermarket. WIth OE, the rubber part just slides out of six or eight clips holding it in place. It might take a little tugging down first to release the end and then out. That goes for all three. Was there a metal insert on both sides of the blade when you removed it?
Old 07-25-14, 10:18 AM
MrCelloBoy
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to replace the complete blade, not just the "squeegee" portion.
Old 07-25-14, 10:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

OK, I wasn't sure if you were replacing just the rubber part or the whole blade. Take a look at this picture. It looks like it's bayonet style, not a hook. I'm guessing it's held in by a clip that needs to be released. From previous cars (not the RX), I remember a tab to release it was underneath the area where it connects. That's the best suggestion I can offer now since I'm not near my 450h to check.
Old 07-25-14, 05:42 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Toyota dealer where I bought the replacements was happy to install them for me. Customer for life

The Lexus dealer is over 80 miles away. The Toytota is 14 miles. FYI
Old 07-25-14, 06:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Nice CapeDave. I buy the refills from the local Toyota dealer. FYI, they're the same size as the Highlander.
Old 03-09-15, 10:44 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to have to bump this old thread but has anyone changed out a rear wiper on a 2010 model up? (Not talking about just the inserts). Bought a Trico Exact Fit and even though I have the blade halted in mid swipe it will not lift up for enough to remove.

ps: I saw the nut up on top but it is so far up there it's really not accessible. None of my wrenches are long enough.

Last edited by TomT127; 03-09-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-08-15, 10:26 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default Rear Blade replacement - 2013 RX

I 'used' to do just replace the inserts but now prefer to replace the whole blade assembly.....the cost is not that much.....in my opinion.

Doing the front blades is not complicated.....once you know how.

But, the rear blade is a booger?! I had a Toyota HIghlander and finally figured out how. But this Lexus with the blade hidden is proving to be a tad mind blowing?

How do you separate the blade from the arm? I've seen some videos that are not year specific but show 'twisting' and then popping off the blade. I'm kinda leery in doing that? Is that what one does to remove the blade?

thanks
Old 04-08-15, 10:52 AM
NorthGa
Rookie

Originally Posted by NorthGa
I 'used' to do just replace the inserts but now prefer to replace the whole blade assembly.....the cost is not that much.....in my opinion.

Doing the front blades is not complicated.....once you know how.

But, the rear blade is a booger?! I had a Toyota HIghlander and finally figured out how. But this Lexus with the blade hidden is proving to be a tad mind blowing?

How do you separate the blade from the arm? I've seen some videos that are not year specific but show 'twisting' and then popping off the blade. I'm kinda leery in doing that? Is that what one does to remove the blade?

thanks
I Figured It Out..............

It is like I saw on the videos even tho not year specific.
The key for my 2013 (any of the third generation?) is to not let the wiper/arm go too far. As mentioned before do the power on power off to stop the blade/arm. Turn off power just as the wiper becomes visible. This allows you to move the arm up and down a tad more than in other positions. 'Bend' (so to speak) the blade 'up' and after it 'stops' apply a tad/slight more pressure and the blade will 'pop' off. Yes, you'll need an Exact Replacement but most reputable wiper blade makers will. I'll use the Michelin brand like I did for the front's. Michelin's got very good reviews in Consumer Reports. I would use OE's but I live out in the boonies so do with what I have too. When I visit the Big City I'll buy some OE's for future use.

Hope this helps for any other do it yourself'ers.
Old 04-08-15, 04:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

NorthGA, you can buy refills from a Toyota dealership if it's closer. The part numbers are 85214-68020, 85214-0T040 and 85214- 0E050. They're the same size as the Highlander. Next time I guess.
Old 04-10-15, 01:21 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
I Figured It Out..............

It is like I saw on the videos even tho not year specific.
The key for my 2013 (any of the third generation?) is to not let the wiper/arm go too far. As mentioned before do the power on power off to stop the blade/arm. Turn off power just as the wiper becomes visible. This allows you to move the arm up and down a tad more than in other positions. 'Bend' (so to speak) the blade 'up' and after it 'stops' apply a tad/slight more pressure and the blade will 'pop' off. Yes, you'll need an Exact Replacement but most reputable wiper blade makers will. I'll use the Michelin brand like I did for the front's. Michelin's got very good reviews in Consumer Reports. I would use OE's but I live out in the boonies so do with what I have too. When I visit the Big City I'll buy some OE's for future use.

Hope this helps for any other do it yourself'ers.
I tried it in every position possible. On our 2012 it doesn't seem to matter. No position seems to allow more movement.

Quick Reply: 3RX rear wiper replacement (merged threads)