RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 - Just bad luck or a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 07:10 AM
SugarMags
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 RX350 - Just bad luck or a Lemon?

I just purchased a used 2010 RX 350 AWD with 45K miles. After purchasing it, I took it to the local Lexus dealer for a thorough evaluation and found the following:

1. Left Rear wheel bearing was replaced at 30K
2. Right Rear wheel bearing needed to be replaced
3. The timing chain cover was leaking and needed to be replaced. Dealer tech said that there was a known problem with too much sealant applied to the cover in the factory and oil eventually ate through the sealant. Tech said that it was not an uncommon issue.

While all these repairs were covered under warranty, I'm a bit worried about this particular vehicle as I've had/have three other Lexuses in the family with no probs whatsoever ('93 ES300, '05 ES330, '06 LS430). I was hoping to find out if others have had the similar issues with their RXs and whether there have been additional problems as I am now seriously considering purchasing the extended warranty before the 50k mile deadline.

Thanks to all!
Old 03-15-13, 07:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarMags
I just purchased a used 2010 RX 350 AWD with 45K miles. After purchasing it, I took it to the local Lexus dealer for a thorough evaluation and found the following:

1. Left Rear wheel bearing was replaced at 30K
2. Right Rear wheel bearing needed to be replaced
3. The timing chain cover was leaking and needed to be replaced. Dealer tech said that there was a known problem with too much sealant applied to the cover in the factory and oil eventually ate through the sealant. Tech said that it was not an uncommon issue.

While all these repairs were covered under warranty, I'm a bit worried about this particular vehicle as I've had/have three other Lexuses in the family with no probs whatsoever ('93 ES300, '05 ES330, '06 LS430). I was hoping to find out if others have had the similar issues with their RXs and whether there have been additional problems as I am now seriously considering purchasing the extended warranty before the 50k mile deadline.

Thanks to all!
I would purchase an Lexus extended warranty for peace of mind.
Buy a discounted Lexus warranty from Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toyota 413-772-0231 or Jerry Johnson Midwest Toyota 800-530-5789 Cell 620-664-8844

If I were to keep my Lexus after basic warranty,I'd buy a extended warranty right before the basic warranty ends.Even if my Lexus didn't have any issues.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-15-13 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-15-13, 07:57 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on your RX and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorta with Joeb427 on this one. While there are not pervasive issues with the RX, and I wouldn't go so far to say you have a lemon, it appears you didn't buy a CPO, so an extended warranty may make sense since you don't know a lot more about the vehicle and how it was treated. One thing that may be interesting for you to try though, is on Lexus.com, register your truck under "My Lexus", then go into the service history for the VIN... You ought to be able to see how the truck was serviced and such -- at least all the Lexus entries and any others the previous owner(s) may have manually input.
Old 03-15-13, 09:38 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL

I'm sorta with Joeb427 on this one. While there are not pervasive issues with the RX, and I wouldn't go so far to say you have a lemon, it appears you didn't buy a CPO, so an extended warranty may make sense since you don't know a lot more about the vehicle and how it was treated. One thing that may be interesting for you to try though, is on Lexus.com, register your truck under "My Lexus", then go into the service history for the VIN... You ought to be able to see how the truck was serviced and such -- at least all the Lexus entries and any others the previous owner(s) may have manually input.
I would (and did) get the extended warranty for peace of mind. 5 year/100K platinum from AGWS for $1750.

http://www.agwsinc.com/Compass-Protection-Plan.aspx

What extended warranties did you guys get?
Old 03-15-13, 09:39 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I would (and did) get the extended warranty for peace of mind. 5 year/100K platinum from AGWS for $1750.

http://www.agwsinc.com/Compass-Protection-Plan.aspx

What extended warranties did you guys get?
FYI this is also for a 2010 RX AWD with 47k miles at purchase.
Old 03-15-13, 09:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

FYI this is also for a 2010 RX AWD with 47k miles at purchase.
You were better off getting a discounted Lexus Platinum from one of the guys above.Might have gotten a 7/100 for about the same cost with no sales tax.
Old 03-15-13, 10:37 AM
SugarMags
Driver School Candidate

One of the factors that lead me to this particular vehicle is that the CarFax indicated all scheduled maintenance was performed on time and at Lexus dealerships. I subsequently got a print out at my Lexus dealership outlining exact services performed. So, at the time of purchase I was pretty confident about the car. Now, some doubt has crept in given the issues delineated in my original post.

Like I said, I'm seriously considering the 8yr/100k or 8yr/125k extended warranties (via the two people mentioned in this thread, of course), but I'm hesitant to spend the $ if my issues happened to be one off issues rather than part of pervasive issues with the 3rd gen RXs. In addition, since the original powertrain warranty is 6yr/70k, I'm really getting an extra 2 yrs/30k - 55k.

My confidence has been shaken because I've gotten 180K+ miles from both a '94 Integra and a '96 Accord without any issues. The Integra blew its tranny in '07 and the Accord is still going strong...not even burning oil!
Old 03-15-13, 11:59 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, my thinking is each vehicle is made from multitude of parts, each manufactured at a different place at a different time. While there were some things repaired, it does not mean the vehicle will be a lemon.
Personally, I would save $1,700 from the extended warranty for when the real problems may occur to have them fixed. For all you know, a bearing could be written-off as a wear-and-tear item, should you have to replace it in the future.
No vehicle is perfect, even Lexus. My '03 IS went in for warranty repair to have the light leveling sensor replaced. No big deal there.

From my experience and based on what you describe, Lemon this vehicle is not.
Old 03-15-13, 12:02 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You were better off getting a discounted Lexus Platinum from one of the guys above.Might have gotten a 7/100 for about the same cost with no sales tax.
Who? (asking for the next car)

My dealer gave me my warranty at cost...I wonder how a lexus platinum warranty could be any lower?
Old 03-15-13, 12:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

My dealer gave me my warranty at cost...I wonder how a lexus platinum warranty could be any lower?
Oops these guys:
Buy a discounted Lexus warranty from Troy Dietrich Greenfield Toyota 413-772-0231 or Jerry Johnson Midwest Toyota 800-530-5789 Cell 620-664-8844
Old 03-15-13, 12:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

With the big discounts from those two guys,it just may be.
The best thing about having the Lexus warranty is no hassle with repairs which you may have with a 3rd party warranty.Also 3rd party warranty companies can go bankrupt.Warranty Gold was a big warranty company that went bankrupt.
Give both guys a call and get a quote.There's all different plans mileage and years.
Old 03-15-13, 12:49 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Right, zero issues with claims on a Lexus Extended Warranty, no pre-authorizations or approvals to deal with, we know they'll be around, and you get loaners and other fancy amenities just like in basic warranty days that 3rd parties for the most part don't provide.
Old 03-15-13, 04:14 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Was your RX built in Canada or Japan?. 2010 was the first year for the redesign,so some problems usually pop up. I am not getting an extended warranty on my 2012 Japan built RX-350-awd,i never bought an extended warranty on any Toyota vehicle. I guess in over three and a half years I'll find out if I made the right decision.
I probably would get the Extended warranty with your RX though.
Old 03-15-13, 05:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Right, zero issues with claims on a Lexus Extended Warranty, no pre-authorizations or approvals to deal with, we know they'll be around, and you get loaners and other fancy amenities just like in basic warranty days that 3rd parties for the most part don't provide.
Yes,loaners.I forgot about that.
Old 03-15-13, 09:53 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are pretty trivial repairs and the reason that they were performed was probably very minor issues. I wouldn't worry about it. If you will feel better ... get the extended warranty. The odds are that you won't have any problems, but no one can guarantee it.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 - Just bad luck or a Lemon?