RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Navigation errors -Rx350 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-13, 07:59 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAYM
Agree, but the fact that it is so far off is crazy for such an expensive option....and we did check the time zone settings they are correct but i will check the highway city driving options...don't remember seeing them!
I think my 06 IS has time issue too so oh well so not just the RX. as for Navi, it's definitely good to have as i do hate having garmin hanging around. At least when i'm lost or at a place in downtown, a click of go home the lexus nav will just take me home.

is 2500 really worth it, maybe not, but to a lot of people buy any vehicle over 20 or 30k is waste of money....
Old 02-08-13, 08:01 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Exclamation Contacting the dealer

I am now contacting the dealer through email trying to get a free nav update, after all my car is a 2013 and the maps in my Lexus are dated 2011.

I strongly feel they should update my nav system no charge.

I will keep you posted
Old 02-08-13, 08:08 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lepapeherm
I am now contacting the dealer through email trying to get a free nav update, after all my car is a 2013 and the maps in my Lexus are dated 2011.

I strongly feel they should update my nav system no charge.

I will keep you posted
Can you do a screen shot of your navi system info? I just got my car so I'm sure i have the most recent one, and is pointless if you change it now and get the same one.
Old 02-08-13, 08:41 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading some of the negative posts about the accuracy of the Navigation it makes me wonder whether all are created equal. When we first put our Navigation to use it worked flawlessly. I even purposely changed direction for the routes in question and it made voice corrections to get us back on track. We have even had friends comment about its response to directions compared to their form of navigation. As one friend commented "it's not even recalculating like mine."
Old 02-08-13, 08:55 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I also have a couple TomTom units that occasionally will miss a POI location. People swear by Garmin, but I'm sure it is not perfect either. In reality, none are. Some are just better then others, but not in all circumstances.

What I do like about the stock Nav is the "classic" 2-D view on a large screen. I can guess where I can go just by looking at the map, which is something more challenging in a handheld. I'm also more aware of where the roads are. That's something I had to rely on yesterday, as the OEM nav was having a hard time starting recalculating my route in a small downtown when I picked a straight road to go where I needed to go instead of driving around the block as it wanted me to.

On long trips, I like seeing future exits, especially rest areas.

I have no issues with time estimates, as I had speeds adjusted first thing after leaving the dealership.
Old 02-08-13, 10:47 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
Can you do a screen shot of your navi system info? I just got my car so I'm sure i have the most recent one, and is pointless if you change it now and get the same one.
The map version is: 21-11-24 and the date is 2011-06-01
The update ID is: 1102-1322-2500-6521

This sure looks like 2011 data to me.
Old 02-08-13, 10:54 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

The map version is: 21-11-24 and the date is 2011-06-01
The update ID is: 1102-1322-2500-6521

This sure looks like 2011 data to me.
that does look like 2011 model....interesting we both have 13 model. Is your car made in Japan or Canada?
Old 02-08-13, 04:40 PM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
that does look like 2011 model....interesting we both have 13 model. Is your car made in Japan or Canada?
My car was built in Canada according to the VIN label
Old 02-08-13, 08:18 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Folks, let's keep a few things in mind. The database used by Lexus is provided by a third party, Lexus isn't responsible for errors, late updates, and missing streets. My street has been in existence for over 10 years but it doesn't show up on any system, Lexus, Garmin, TomTom, none of them. I can't hold Lexus at fault. With any system you have to set it up correctly, and that means average speeds on interstate, main roads, etc, along with the correct time zone. I've got a 2006 IS with a 2010 map update and it was not worth it, very little change. We've travelled all over the US and we have found the systems to be pretty reliable, but you have to do a sanity check first. If you enter "shortest route" as you route selection that may well take you on roads that are shorter but not ideal to get to your destination. It's not a system you can use blindly.
Old 02-09-13, 10:56 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Folks, let's keep a few things in mind. The database used by Lexus is provided by a third party, Lexus isn't responsible for errors, late updates, and missing streets. My street has been in existence for over 10 years but it doesn't show up on any system, Lexus, Garmin, TomTom, none of them. I can't hold Lexus at fault. With any system you have to set it up correctly, and that means average speeds on interstate, main roads, etc, along with the correct time zone. I've got a 2006 IS with a 2010 map update and it was not worth it, very little change. We've travelled all over the US and we have found the systems to be pretty reliable, but you have to do a sanity check first. If you enter "shortest route" as you route selection that may well take you on roads that are shorter but not ideal to get to your destination. It's not a system you can use blindly.
One has also to keep in mind the amount of money they pay for their nav. system in their car and the expected quality/precision in relation to that money. When you buy a luxury car you expect nothin but the best and this also apply to the nav. system.

You are correct, the database, used in Lexus nav. system,, is provided by a third party, Garmin is using the same third party and my old Garmin gps is more accurate than my nav. system in my 2013 Lexus. .!! (I brought my old gps with me)

In a very short time if your gps send you to the wrong place once it is understandable, twice you start thinking that there could be something wrong, the third time you say oh! oh! and then the forth time you start loosing confidence in your nav. system. This is where I presently stand.
Old 02-09-13, 11:28 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The NAV system has handled a few tricky situations very well for me. I have confidence in it here in N CA ... except where there is a major construction project, like the new Bay Bridge. I also find myself using the Google NAV app on my Samsung Galaxy Note II phone for quick around town use or where I think the Lexus NAV is going to be wrong. We should have free owner installed updates on the Lexus system. I wish Lexus would offer an cheaper alternative to the current NAV system ... like a HD screen that you can connect wirelessly to your phone and all of the cost and complexity is in your phone. This would work better for me and could be offered for $600 to $1,000.
Old 02-09-13, 11:31 AM
Snype
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Lepapeherm;7755394]One has also to keep in mind the amount of money they pay for their nav. system in their car and the expected quality/precision in relation to that money. When you buy a luxury car you expect nothin but the best and this also apply to the nav. system./QUOTE]

Don't forget the wonder that is economies of scale. I think a lot of people fail to realize the role that plays in the high cost and low volume of car navi's vs. portables, phones, you name it.

For the places it took you incorrectly, were they addresses or POIs? I've noticed POI accuracy has gotten worse the last few years, probably due to the economy. I've had some be closed, new names, etc.
Old 02-09-13, 12:18 PM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Don't forget the wonder that is economies of scale. I think a lot of people fail to realize the role that plays in the high cost and low volume of car navi's vs. portables, phones, you name it.

For the places it took you incorrectly, were they addresses or POIs? I've noticed POI accuracy has gotten worse the last few years, probably due to the economy. I've had some be closed, new names, etc.
I am talking about POI's, mainly large surface stores that have been present for a while.
Old 02-09-13, 04:25 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

POI's and other map features should not be judged as good or bad because the unit is in a Lexus. The maps are done and sold to companies for the NAV systems such as OE installed in cars, Magellan, Tom Tom, etc. They all use the same mapping system with the same POI's. As fast as places open and close there is really no way to keep it as current as you'd like.
I am talking about POI's, mainly large surface stores that have been present for a while.
Old 02-09-13, 05:40 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
You're right on with your comments Evitzee.

Most of the maps in navigation units like in the Lexus and even Garmins, come from a company called NavTeq. It's my understanding that most navigation maps are about 4 years behind. Some small lesser roads may never be included in the maps. I always back up my long trips with a TripTic from AAA or MapQuest.

Quick Reply: Navigation errors -Rx350 2013