RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why start small - DIY for adding Power fold Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 08:38 AM
LawyeRRR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why start small - DIY for adding Power fold Mirrors?

Hi all, new member and new lexus owner. Have found these forums to be invaluable in learning about, maintaining and modding my cars, having been a member over at Swedespeed.c*m and benzworld.c*m for years.

Picked up a new-to-me '11 RX350 silver/black with premium package from McGrath Lexus of Westmont in IL, but it lacks one little doo-dad I added to my '04 Volvo V70R myself: OEM power folding mirrors.

Has anyone added these after delivery to their RX? I can see I'll need a new switch array for the driver's door, and obviously the mirror swapouts....what else is needed? Where can I get these parts? I am mildly handy (did this mod to my volvo, retrofitted a MY2000 Factory NAV and headunit into my MY1998 MB ML320, etc...) but only with really good directions.

Is the motor for folding the mirror in the mirror assembly or the base?
Is additional wring needed, or is this largely a plug and play effort?

Wishing the mileage was a bit better (not leadfooting, but not driving Miss Daisy either, getting maybe 17 combined....even city/hwy mix) but otherwise very pleased with the purchase. Have owned Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Toyota - and am finding the Lexus owenrship experience good so far.

Any info or pointers would be most appreciated.
Old 01-24-13, 03:28 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not positive, but I'd like to hear the answer as well.
Old 01-24-13, 08:30 PM
tfrancois
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Make it three of us that would like an answer to this...thanks in advance for any help anyone can give about this mod.
Old 01-24-13, 08:37 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it can be done-you will need new mirrors and the switches board, the wiring is already there.
I am not sure how you remove the mirrors-probably will have to disassemble the inside the door...
Old 01-25-13, 09:03 AM
LawyeRRR
Driver School Candidate

Certainly will need to disassemble the door panel to access the mirror mount. Had to do this in my Volvo, it's not hard at all. Just label everything as it comes off, and take a picture or two while to do it. makes reassembly much easier.

Vendors, techs - anyone done this yet?

Ian
Old 01-25-13, 10:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There is a post in here from MEP somewhere about removing the door panels. He added dynamat to the doors. It's not hard to do since it's held on by clips. There are a few wires to disconnect. Probably the worst part is taking apart the dash to hook it all up. Not for me.

Are you changing the steering wheel? The folding mirrors were controlled by a button there IIRC. Obviously I dont have the feature. I guess you can put it in one of the blank spots on the dash instead.
Old 01-25-13, 11:07 AM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Are you changing the steering wheel? The folding mirrors were controlled by a button there IIRC. Obviously I dont have the feature. I guess you can put it in one of the blank spots on the dash instead.
The control for the power mirrors is on the door. The two blank spots at the top of the control panel are for power mirrors. One is to actuate the mirrors in/out and the other is to set auto so the mirrors fold automatically when the vehicle is locked/armed.

The only added piece on the steering wheel is a button on the left side for the side view camera that is under the passenger side folding mirror.
Old 01-25-13, 01:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^Thanks, I could have sworn the control was on the steering wheel. I thought about asking my sales guy to add the luxury package so i could get everything including the folding mirrors but I knew they didn't allow combining luxury and sport packages together. So I opted for sport only. I always wondered if that would have gone through.
Old 01-27-13, 10:47 PM
LawyeRRR
Driver School Candidate

<bump>

Just had a lux pkg 2013 RX450h as a loaner - had the folding mirrors. Clearly, I'd need to switch out the switch pack in the driver's door - but what I was hoping to learn from a learned soul here was what additional parts would be needed; would I sacrifice any utility, like heated side mirrors?
When I did this to my vR, it was simply a part swap (everything was prewired), switch install in the center console instead of the door, and coding the VADIS system at the dealer to have the car recognize the input from the switch.
Anyone? Seems like a group buy could be assembled quickly, and would be a very cool mod to be able to add to our already very cool cars....
Old 01-28-13, 08:26 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I would be interested in this also. The folding mirrors would be very helpful.
Old 01-28-13, 02:10 PM
dentate
Driver

I had the power heated auto-dimming mirrors on my 2010 and my 2013 - they are full-feature mirrors--power folding, power articulating, heated and auto-dimming--hope that helps.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
wintering in Port Charlotte, FL
Old 02-06-13, 01:46 PM
LawyeRRR
Driver School Candidate

<bump, again>

Anyone? Are there any Lexus techs on this board, or might someone ask their friendly SA for help here? I just got my RX, don't have a terrific relationship with my SA yet.

-Ian
Old 02-11-13, 12:40 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

I'm really interested in this as well.

For parts, maybe this would work? It's from the 2013 but I'm guessing/hoping it works for 2010's as well, and the inbetweens. Part #84040 seems to be the controls. I have not yet been able to find the motors and such for the mirrors though. Do all the new RX's come with this feature?

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2013.html
Old 02-11-13, 09:54 AM
dentate
Driver

It should work for the 2010's as well as my 2010 had power folding mirrors (Ultra Prem pack in Canada). My understanding is that all the wiring is present but you would need a new mirror switch and both new mirrors - maybe more! I don't know where the motor to fold the mirror is located - perhaps inside the mirror housing itself--anyone?

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 07-24-13, 02:20 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just need to find the parts cheaper.. but this should work.

Originally Posted by dentate
It should work for the 2010's as well as my 2010 had power folding mirrors (Ultra Prem pack in Canada). My understanding is that all the wiring is present but you would need a new mirror switch and both new mirrors - maybe more! I don't know where the motor to fold the mirror is located - perhaps inside the mirror housing itself--anyone?

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Check out http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com it was a good place to find the part #. for my 2010 RX450h in Obsidian. Here are the part numbers. be careful when choosing the mirror assemblies. The ones with the cameras or blind-spot monitors won't work. That being said, the switch works for everything so don't worry if it says blind-spot monitor.

MASTER SWITCH ASSEMBLY,MULTIPLEX NETWORK. (aka WINDOW SWITCH LEFT)
MASTER SWITCH ASSY, MASTER SWITCH ASSY,; OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR-AUTOMATIC ANTI-GLARE & WITH(SIDE CAMERA); OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR-AUTOMATIC RETRACTABLE ELECTRIC CONTROL MIRROR & AUTOMATIC ANTI-GLARE & MEMORY; OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR-AUTOMATIC RETRACTABLE ELECTRIC CONTROL MIRROR & MEMORY & BLIND SPOT DETECTION
Part #840400E020 or 8404048170

MIRROR ASSEMBLY, OUTER REAR VIEW, LEFT. BLACK..
MIRROR ASSY, OUTER R MIRROR ASSY, OUTER R; OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR-AUTOMATIC RETRACTABLE ELECTRIC CONTROL MIRROR & AUTOMATIC ANTI-GLARE & MEMORY,BLACK,212
Part# 879400E110C0

MIRROR ASSEMBLY, OUTER REAR VIEW, RIGHT. BLACK..
MIRROR ASSY, OUTER R MIRROR ASSY, OUTER R; OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR-AUTOMATIC RETRACTABLE ELECTRIC CONTROL MIRROR & AUTOMATIC ANTI-GLARE & MEMORY,BLACK,212
Part # 879100E120C0

Quick Reply: Why start small - DIY for adding Power fold Mirrors?