RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Brand New 2013 Rx Frame Molding Chipped Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 07:40 PM
valk350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New 2013 Rx Frame Molding Chipped Paint

I got a 2013 the other day and noticed the driver side frame molding has white spots on it. It's a new car, just few days old and has been back to the dealer. They said its chipped paint and will replace the part since its brand new.

For those not sure what I'm talking about, take a look here. On the diagram it's number 4. http://www.mylparts.com/parts/2012/L...iagram=8914530

If the above link doesn't work try this one, http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...09&modelYear=0

The part number is 75708 It's inside the door btw.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there something I can do? The car is paid for, and I talked to the sales guy and he said he has to talk to Lexus for any sort of compensation, if it can be had.

Last edited by valk350; 11-14-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 01:17 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It's inside the door btw.
I'm confused now. Is it on the interior or exterior of the door? If the exterior, I've always felt Lexus buys that piece pre-finished from a vendor. The color has been off on my RX. So if chipped, it may have come chipped to Lexus (which I doubt Lexus would install it). Or it was chipped as the car was shipped. I would examine the side of the car carefully, looking for damage elsewhere. it would seem odd to me that piece was damaged and nothing else on the side of the car was hurt.

"Compensation" ? Other than replacing the part, do you anticipate some other compensation? Or the dealer is worried about getting compensation from Lexus?

Last edited by DunWkg; 11-15-12 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 06:30 AM
valk350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car did have some paint issues on delivery, but it was all taken care of with a wax job. The part with chipped paint is the beam when you open the driver side car door, that support frame which comes from the roof down has chipped paint.

For Compensation, this was an issue at delivery and the sales guy took note of it and said come back wed so they can thoroughly wax and buff the car, and it was after that they said that piece has to be replaced. Seeing as there was damage to car from the start, I wouldn't have taken this car and paid for it. The salesguy said he has to contact Lexus to see if the deal can renegotiated for some sort of credit.
Old 11-15-12, 08:18 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Perhaps someone with more experience with this type of situation will speak up and offer some advice, but perhaps the compensation should be a new car. In my experience, paint chips do not go away with a buff and a wax. Scratches, scuffs, and swirls might, but chips not so much.
Old 11-16-12, 07:18 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only compensation that is due is to correct the problem. If the dealer installs a new part, how have you been harmed? When the new part is installed, the car will then be as you expected. As long as the dealer treats you well and takes care of the problem, the only compensation might be for them to comp you with oil changes, or something similar. It doesn't sound like this is a very big issue.
Old 11-16-12, 08:58 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, valk350. It sounds like the damaged part is the black piece between the windows based on your links. That can easily be replaced. I say give your dealer the opportunity to fix it to your satisfaction. They should provide a loaner and keep you updated. Beyond that, you can ask for compensation for the extra trips you had to make, like a voucher for a free oil change. That would be two years from now since the first oil change is free twelve months down the road. Consider an accessory like all weather floor mats. I'd only pursue it if they are unable to fix it and/or there are more defects. Be reasonable with them and they'll be reasonable with you. Lexus typically goes above and beyond in my book. Good luck.
Old 11-16-12, 06:42 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Ahhhh, the fog has cleared and I believe I understand your situation. The ONLY part of the car with paint chips is the door frame piece behind the driver's window. MDames2 and Anita are absolutely correct, easy fix, short duration, more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Still a bit surprising that only that piece on the side of car is pitted and nothing else. Guess it could have been defective from the factory.
Old 11-16-12, 08:14 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Ahhhh, the fog has cleared and I believe I understand your situation. The ONLY part of the car with paint chips is the door frame piece behind the driver's window. MDames2 and Anita are absolutely correct, easy fix, short duration, more of an inconvenience than anything else.

Still a bit surprising that only that piece on the side of car is pitted and nothing else. Guess it could have been defective from the factory.
Defective from the factory, or damaged during transport-the OP has a point: he paid ~$50K for a new vehicle, and was promised that the problem would be taken care of upon delivery-which was not done.
The Lexus dealer he bought the RX from should "compensate" him somehow- every trip to the dealer is 1/2 day-that's half day lost from work; that is sometimes more then inconvinience (lost money if not working?), esp. on delivery of a "New" luxury vehicle.
The dealer can "throw" something like winter mats, etc.

an example: 2 y. ago our Q5 developed water pump leak leaving it undrivable-the problem was known to Audi because there were many other Q5s w/ same problem (someone in Audi decided to install plastic water pumps instead of metal pumps...)
Audi fixed the Q5 same day, and then gave us free mainteneace package up to 45K miles (same package was $750 retail price). Also warranty on drivetrain was extended to 6year/100k miles.
Old 11-17-12, 05:13 AM
DunWkg
Racer

m1964, Originally I misunderstood that the car had other damage the dealer corrected with a buff job and some wax. At that point I was suggesting the OP receive a new car. I don't believe a new car should be damaged goods. I'm sure the guys in the service department chuckle when I show up a with a Brinkmann flashlight to examine the paint. The paint should be in the same condition it was in when that Japanese or Canadian technician ran his or her hands over it at the factory. Too many instances of DISO, Dealer Installed Swirl Option to trust the dealership with buffing out some damage and hiding it with a glaze or wax.

A damaged pillar cap probably doesn't justify getting a car replaced and you are right an inconvenience of any severity is an inconvenience worthy of some compensation.