RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help before hubby finds out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 03:43 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help before hubby finds out!

Brand new car and I pulled into the driveway and cut the side of the garage door too close and the car came and contact with the garage door molding and scraped along for a little while. I realized and backed up. Honestly I couldn't see it but he came home and didn't miss a thing. It is still smooth (not dented in) but the top shiny part of the paint is missing and is slightly scraped. He is not spending a penny to fix as I have done this before. Any suggestions on spray paint or the least expensive solution?
Old 07-10-13, 04:32 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Barbara, so sorry it happened to your new car. Back in the day when my wife had done something similar, she came to me and just said she'd done something really bad and made me work it out of her. By the time I did, I felt bad for her and it wasn't an issue. Maybe you should try something similar.

Hey, it's keeping repair shops in business. Don't fret or try to hide it, just be honest. My best advice.
Originally Posted by Lexusbuzz
Brand new car and I pulled into the driveway and cut the side of the garage door too close and the car came and contact with the garage door molding and scraped along for a little while. I realized and backed up. Honestly I couldn't see it but he came home and didn't miss a thing. It is still smooth (not dented in) but the top shiny part of the paint is missing and is slightly scraped. He is not spending a penny to fix as I have done this before. Any suggestions on spray paint or the least expensive solution?
Old 07-10-13, 05:31 AM
Lexusbuzz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Barbara, so sorry it happened to your new car. Back in the day when my wife had done something similar, she came to me and just said she'd done something really bad and made me work it out of her. By the time I did, I felt bad for her and it wasn't an issue. Maybe you should try something similar.

Hey, it's keeping repair shops in business. Don't fret or try to hide it, just be honest. My best advice.
Great advice ! Usually I will text him a picture first but honestly I couldn't see it but he saw it when he came home . I was thinking of getting a match spray paint and trying to fix. He said he isn't taking it anywhere to fix since in all likelihood it will happen again .
Old 07-10-13, 05:53 AM
seanlin
Rookie

Sorry to hear about it.

I would suggest to stop by a bodyshop and maybe they can do something about it without repaint the panel.

My friend scratched his bumper and thought it needed to repaint, ended up bodyshop just waxed and detailed it to take care the issue. Hardly to see the scratch after.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-13, 09:23 AM
heisnuts
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use spray paint because it will probably just make it look worse than it does already.

You might ask your Lexus dealer who they use for light scratch repairs on their used cars. You might find they have someone that is mobile and is less expensive than a body shop for repairs.
Old 07-10-13, 12:32 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can just keep quiet. If he sees it, just say I don't know.

My wife hit the wall on our garage. It crushed the gypsum board and made a hole about 24 x 12 inches. She put some boxes in front of it so it will not be seen. I was cleaning the garage one day and move aside he boxes. Then I saw it.. I asked her about it. She just laughed. And I laughed too. No big deal. I feel kind of sorry for her for hiding it.
Old 07-10-13, 12:52 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hubby doesn't sound to cool ... not going to fix it because it is just going to happen again??? Nonsense. This is just a stupid little thing that happens in life and isn't worth making a big deal about. The easiest thing to do is take it by a few body shops and get their recommendation. Then you will know where you stand. I would not recommend a do-it-yourself job.

Sometimes things can look like they are scrapped and the shiny surface is gone, but it is really just some material deposited on the surface from the contact. Meguiar's (common car care products) makes a product called Scratch X 2. You can find it an auto parts store where they sell car care products. Carefully rub a little of this product on the lightest part of the problem and see if it disappears. If it does you can carefully remove the problem and then wax the area using something like Meguiar's NXT 2 wax.
Old 07-10-13, 01:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesn't the RX mirror just fold in? Should have pulled through instead of reversing back.

The damage wouldn't have been as bad.
Old 07-10-13, 01:58 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Depending on the damage may be fixable just by taking it to s small detail shop. Some good cutting compound and polish may be able to bring it back. Post some pics if you can.
Old 07-10-13, 03:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

First, don't spray paint it. It will look worse showing another layer of paint, unless you're a professional painter with the exact color match and will paint the entire panel (s).

I agree with benzo555. When we got our new RX repaired from an accident (other party's fault), the car was repaired nearly flawlessly. The only thing they missed was a scratch (clearcoat scratched) and what they did was wet-sand it and polish it. It was practically gone. Maybe an hour's work of labor, not more... It was repaired at Carstar and have been happy with their work. Good luck
Old 07-10-13, 05:38 PM
gaylonw
Driver School Candidate

Default This may be all you need....

Originally Posted by benzo555
Depending on the damage may be fixable just by taking it to s small detail shop. Some good cutting compound and polish may be able to bring it back. Post some pics if you can.
Several years ago my wife brushed the painted bumper of my Landcruiser against the garage door moulding and a paint transfer took place leaving a white mark about the size of your hand on the side corner of the bumper, no damage on either the garage door molding or the LC.
I used a cutting compound and a polishing compound and it all came off, no blood, only some sweat and a few tears.
I kept my cool and she never did it again.
I agree you should pull in and back out and learn to use your mirrors, be careful not to take out the mirrors on the garage frame.
No cell phone or music until you are done backing!..gm
Old 07-11-13, 10:24 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to suggest trying to use clay bar first. Go on youtube and see how people use it. it takes a little muscle and keeping the clay wet but if it's not too bad it may just get it out.
Old 07-12-13, 08:38 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Post a picture here. Might just be a scuff on the clear coat. I recommend a rubbing compound, the polish it out. Make sure you seal it with wax. If the scuff went below the clear coat then you would need a professional.
Old 07-12-13, 09:05 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

1 plus on trying a product called scratch out....Used it on several vehicles and you may be surprised......Cheap product sold at auto stores and it may buff out the scrape....
Old 07-12-13, 10:41 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCSB
Hubby doesn't sound to cool ... not going to fix it because it is just going to happen again??? Nonsense. This is just a stupid little thing that happens in life and isn't worth making a big deal about. The easiest thing to do is take it by a few body shops and get their recommendation. Then you will know where you stand. I would not recommend a do-it-yourself job.

Sometimes things can look like they are scrapped and the shiny surface is gone, but it is really just some material deposited on the surface from the contact. Meguiar's (common car care products) makes a product called Scratch X 2. You can find it an auto parts store where they sell car care products. Carefully rub a little of this product on the lightest part of the problem and see if it disappears. If it does you can carefully remove the problem and then wax the area using something like Meguiar's NXT 2 wax.
My wife always scratched the drivers front corner of her old RX when leaving the garage. I am not sure why she always has trouble exiting the garage but when I got this new one, which would be bigger I knew I was screwed. Lo and behold she scratched the exact same spot 1 month in. i wont fix it because whats the point it will keep happening and keep aggravating me.

Quick Reply: Help before hubby finds out!