RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 03:26 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door

Just in case the dealer wants to be a jerk and skip fixing the rattles I have on my car, just curious if you guys know anything about creeking noises coming from the front doors. I have one that is pretty bad on the passenger side door. It sounds like a small creek, it happens when i go through roads that are not perfect. The noise goes away if I push against the door panel, not so much when I yank it in. I currently have a broken driver seat too, so hard to pinpoint if I have the exact same problem on the driver side front door, but the creeking is the same.
Old 10-12-12, 04:01 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a fix for door rattles i had

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...esolution.html
Old 10-12-12, 09:40 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Good write up, but I believe my noise comes from the latch. They still have the car now, but supposedly they found the problem. I will update this Monday
Old 11-25-12, 05:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cossie1600
Good write up, but I believe my noise comes from the latch. They still have the car now, but supposedly they found the problem. I will update this Monday
I have the same problem and I can replicate the elimination of it 100% of the times by pushing hard against the door.

Did you get this fixed and what did they have to do? Thanks!
Old 11-25-12, 11:21 AM
cossie1600
Pole Position

They got rid of a lot of it, but there is still some rattle which I will have to take back in. They replaced the trim around the window (about $60 I think) and they reinsulated the door. They also adjusted the latch. Still, there is a noise and I have to take it back.

The driver's door is starting to get the noise around the trim around the window.

On the loaner 2010 350 i had, it didn't rattle, but it had wind leaking everywhere. When I push on the front drivers side window, I can hear wind coming in.

Good luck
Old 11-25-12, 11:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks cossie1600
Old 04-27-13, 05:52 AM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same noise coming from my drivers side door as well and have been fighting it for a while now. First tried taking it to the dealer where they kept it for two days only to have it returned with the door tightened noticably tighter(much more force needed to close the door) and you could clearly tell by looking through the side mirror how much they adjusted the door because it was no longer flush with the rear door. On top of that, Lexus of Portland had the nerve to put some sort of Grease around the rubber door seals and called that an acceptable fix. Unbelievable.

Even so, that did seam to get rid of the noise but only for a few days and then returned to mock me. The creaking type noises seem to only happen during the cold season and are extremely exagerated on uneven surfaces like when I pull into my uphill driveway. Took it back to Lexus again and demanded they re-adjust my door back which they did but still not back to factory standards as the door was still not flush with the rear. Noises came back again and I just gave up.

I've tried the window molding/felt tape deal at first and same thing, went away for a few days and right back. I've tried insulating the doors better around the contact points and same thing. After months of this, I got pissed and decided to try and isolate the noise myself. Tested with door panel and window molding off-no noise. Tested with door panel off and window molding on-no noise. Tested with all panels on but not screwed in/only clamped in-no noise. Tested with door panel screwed in-Slight noise. HERE is where it got interesting...Unscrewed ONLY the rubber door stopper/bumber right below the lock mechanism and the noise disapeared. Looked at the rubber stopper and noticed that it had a slight rub mark on it where it rests against the door panel once screwed in. I put a little bit of grease around this mounting area and the noise was gone once re-installed. Has not returned for over two weeks now and am confident that fixed it. You could actually see that the door panel hole cutout for this rubber stopper was not perfectly centered and was forcing the door panel to rub against the rubber. Unbelievable! I've now been able to adjust my door back to factory spec and is flush with the other door and easy again to close like the day I bought it! Hopefully this helps others if all other attempts failed.
The following users liked this post:
Rngr29 (12-14-19)
Old 05-02-13, 05:26 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doney01
I've had the same noise coming from my drivers side door as well and have been fighting it for a while now. First tried taking it to the dealer where they kept it for two days only to have it returned with the door tightened noticably tighter(much more force needed to close the door) and you could clearly tell by looking through the side mirror how much they adjusted the door because it was no longer flush with the rear door. On top of that, Lexus of Portland had the nerve to put some sort of Grease around the rubber door seals and called that an acceptable fix. Unbelievable.

Even so, that did seam to get rid of the noise but only for a few days and then returned to mock me. The creaking type noises seem to only happen during the cold season and are extremely exagerated on uneven surfaces like when I pull into my uphill driveway. Took it back to Lexus again and demanded they re-adjust my door back which they did but still not back to factory standards as the door was still not flush with the rear. Noises came back again and I just gave up.

I've tried the window molding/felt tape deal at first and same thing, went away for a few days and right back. I've tried insulating the doors better around the contact points and same thing. After months of this, I got pissed and decided to try and isolate the noise myself. Tested with door panel and window molding off-no noise. Tested with door panel off and window molding on-no noise. Tested with all panels on but not screwed in/only clamped in-no noise. Tested with door panel screwed in-Slight noise. HERE is where it got interesting...Unscrewed ONLY the rubber door stopper/bumber right below the lock mechanism and the noise disapeared. Looked at the rubber stopper and noticed that it had a slight rub mark on it where it rests against the door panel once screwed in. I put a little bit of grease around this mounting area and the noise was gone once re-installed. Has not returned for over two weeks now and am confident that fixed it. You could actually see that the door panel hole cutout for this rubber stopper was not perfectly centered and was forcing the door panel to rub against the rubber. Unbelievable! I've now been able to adjust my door back to factory spec and is flush with the other door and easy again to close like the day I bought it! Hopefully this helps others if all other attempts failed.
Thanks!!! This was a brilliant find that solved one of the most intractable problems on my 450h. I really appreciate you sharing this fix ... I don't think I would have found this solution without your careful, methodical troubleshooting.
Old 05-03-13, 11:23 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys,
can anyone post a few pics of this fix. I have had terrible problems with both my driver's window and passenger window from rattling. Been to the dealer at least 6-8 times and they can't fix it. This is beyond frustrating. When you say unscrewed the rubber stopper and added grease, did you tightened the screw back tight or leave it loose? Did you put the grease between the rubber stopper and door panel?

Last edited by Gribble; 05-03-13 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-03-13, 02:47 PM
Doney01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gribble
hey guys,
can anyone post a few pics of this fix. I have had terrible problems with both my driver's window and passenger window from rattling. Been to the dealer at least 6-8 times and they can't fix it. This is beyond frustrating. When you say unscrewed the rubber stopper and added grease, did you tightened the screw back tight or leave it loose? Did you put the grease between the rubber stopper and door panel?
Here are a few pics... I tightened it back like normal(remember, it has a plastic mount so don't get carried away). I used regular grease but we may need to find something that wont dry out over time. Once done, just wipe off the excess.
Attached Thumbnails Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door-img_1006.jpg   Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door-img_1008.jpg   Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door-img_1011.jpg  
Old 05-05-13, 10:59 AM
soothing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 front doors rattling/safety issues

I bought an used 2010 RX 350 in Dec 2012 still under warranty for a few years.
As soon as I started to drive on the highway, i could hear a rattling on the driver front door. When winds are involved or speed above 65 mph, a big rattle occurs as if the door was going to let go, as if air is somehow passing through the door and create this air compression.

Dealership has fixed somehow the problem by putting foam into the front doors plastic panels around the door, which is OK when i drive in the city, at less than 50 mph and up to 60mph in other roads.

I do not feel safe driving on the highway anymore because of these noises.

This is absolutely NOT normal for a so-called Luxury Car ! This is absurd, and I am so frustrated with my purchase! First time ever i had so many problems with a car I purchased and I drove many cars in my life. This is insane.

Something is definitely VERY WRONG with the doors and rubbers/plastic panels around the doors in the RX350. To me, more than annoying, it has become a SAFETY ISSUE.
Old 05-05-13, 06:38 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have experienced rubbing noises in both front doors. Turns out it is the rubber seal around the windows. If I lower the windows a 1/16 of an inch the rubbing noise goes away. It is a shame that you have to do this in a Luxury vehicle. The quieter they make these cars the more other noises show up. I am sure in another car this noise would have gone unnoticed.

Not meaning to get off track but, Lexus' decision to move more production of their vehicles to North America scares me. Maybe the tide is turning and I should just buy an American car since all cars are made here now anyway.
Old 05-05-13, 08:07 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I have experienced rubbing noises in both front doors. Turns out it is the rubber seal around the windows. If I lower the windows a 1/16 of an inch the rubbing noise goes away. It is a shame that you have to do this in a Luxury vehicle. The quieter they make these cars the more other noises show up. I am sure in another car this noise would have gone unnoticed.

Not meaning to get off track but, Lexus' decision to move more production of their vehicles to North America scares me. Maybe the tide is turning and I should just buy an American car since all cars are made here now anyway.
I agree with your second statement. If i buy a Japanese or Korean car i want it manufactured outside of the US and Canada.
Old 05-06-13, 06:09 AM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doney01
Thank you for taking the time to post pics, I'll give this a shot and see if it helps. I believe my noise is coming from the window seals.
Old 05-07-13, 09:01 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

I believe there is a TSB out for noisy and leaky front windows on the 2010. THe problem I had was within the door. The cold weather actually made the noise go away. I used to get the noise once it warmed up, but it's been gone for a few months now. It's so weird. I am at 48K miles, deciding if I should pay $2K for the extended warranty

Quick Reply: Help fixing rattles on front and passenger side door