RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Question about paint colour

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 05:44 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about paint colour

Well the thing is, I have not put an order in for an RX F SPORT yet. The dealer said it would be with me in a month or so if i decided to go for it at any time. Ive chosen the options, went for the mark levinson and had a few goodies stuck in by the dealer. Basically the deal has been discussed and is valid for a week.

Now, the main issue is paint colour. I am not going for any colour apart from velvet black (obsidian) or celestial black (stargazer/starlight).

At present i drive an 05 RX300 which is astral black (black onyx) with a paint code 202. This paint is probably the worst paint i have ever had. Swirls show up really easily even though I hand wash the car myself every week with obsessive technique and fingernails can pretty much go through the paint. Thats really how crappy this paint is. I paid £35k for the car and it seems the paint cant hold up to much wear. My £26k Mercedes C class has twice as many miles on the clock and still looks brand new so i really dont see what the deal about the paint is.

Basically, is the Velvet black (obsidian) the same paint as the astral black (obsidian)?. I see that the paint code is 212 while the astral black had a paint code of 202 which has got me confused. Anyone have the Obsidian black and can comment on the durability. Dont get me wrong, the paint looks fantastic, it just seems to pick up scratches really easily.

Furthermore, what about the celestial (stargazer/starlight)? is that more durable being metallic and more expensive? or is the premium for metallic just charged based on the looks of the paint?

Just really need some advice on the paints and if stargazer is better than obsidian or not? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rayaans; 10-08-12 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-08-12, 07:47 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure this web site applies to where you live, but I've found it to be accurate providing color codes:
http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusrx

I had not heard Obsidian referred to as Velvet Black. For me at least, the two terms would seem to be opposite. Obsidian being a high gloss or volcanic glass versus Velvet being a soft non-reflective black fabric.

I'm going to make some general comments and I'm sure some folks here will correct me if I'm wrong. It is my understanding and limited experience, that most current Lexus vehicles are clear coated rather than single stage paint. The clear coat maybe clear or tinted. Again in my experience, the clear coat is very reflective and glossy, but it is also very delicate and it easily picks up swirls, scratches and paint chips. What makes each color different is how it shows those defects. Obsidian will show defects, dirt and depending on where you live, salt very easily. Metal flakes and pearls will show the defects less, although they will still be there. Some people feel white or silver show the defects even less. Although I disagree, I feel white shows dirt equally and begins to look dingy, but does hide swirls and scratches.

Keeping in mind, RX's may come from different factories using different products, processes and robots on any given hour, day, month or year. Variations may exist just from that simple fact. Keeping in mind, no one is more proud of their paint and those who apply and inspect it than Lexus.

Whether metal flake or pearl paint is thicker due to the metal flake process, I don't know. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer that. Thicker paint would be more resistant to damage that would expose the base coat or primer.

As I said in my limited experience, current Lexus paint (clear coat) is delicate and damaged easily. Durable implies to me how well does it hold up to the test of time and is it susceptible to clear coat failure and or oxidation damage. I can't help you with that, but some long time owners will need to answer that question. I haven't read many cases of clear coat failure on a Lexus, perhaps none have been around long enough to fail.

Last edited by DunWkg; 10-08-12 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-12, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would go for the blue F-Sport model
Old 10-09-12, 09:34 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

VELVET black is the same as OBSIDIAN black. the paint code is the same and over here OBSIDIAN black is a metallic black paint with blue flakes inside. I live in the UK. Salt and dirt isnt really a problem but as I do a lot of highway miles, scratches and stone chips are a problem. Thanks for the help and im edging towards the CELESTIAL (stargazer) just to be safe + it looks awesome!
Old 07-20-14, 11:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
VELVET black is the same as OBSIDIAN black. the paint code is the same and over here OBSIDIAN black is a metallic black paint with blue flakes inside. I live in the UK. Salt and dirt isnt really a problem but as I do a lot of highway miles, scratches and stone chips are a problem. Thanks for the help and im edging towards the CELESTIAL (stargazer) just to be safe + it looks awesome!
Well on the Lexus UK site, the CT is offered in both Velvet Black (212) and Obsidian Black (214), while the RX is offered in Velvet Black (212) and Celestial Black (217), so they're all different colo(u)rs after all.

Go check them out yourself.

CT:
http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ct...x#/BuildYourCT

RX:
http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/rx...x#/BuildYourRX
Old 07-21-14, 06:06 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up an Obsidian RX a month ago and I think it is extremely soft paint. Once I got home, I noticed a scratch that is about 2 inches long by the back door handle. I'm sure I didn't do it, but I didn't notice it when I picked it up.
I know you are more wanting to know about the paint color rather than chips, but I wanted to throw this in...I had a clear bra installed by a 3rd party on the full hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors. I'm sure you know many people are indifferent about clear bras stating to just use touch-up paint occasionally, then get it repainted in 5 years. I didn't want to deal with the rock chips at all so I'm hoping this works (too soon to tell I think).
As for color...from what I was told by a couple of different Lexus salesmen, the stargazer/celestial black with metallic flakes is harder than the obsidian black so it should stand up a bit better to the elements; although you'll still get rock chips and you could still damage your paint with normal wear and tear.
If you think the stargazer black looks great, then go for it. I just thought that color took away from the deep rich black that obsidian is so I went for obsidian. I knew what I was getting into so I took precautions with the clear bra and hope it protects my car. Bottom line: I bet the current Obsidian is just as soft as (if not softer than) your astral black. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-21-14, 09:40 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mors
I picked up an Obsidian RX a month ago and I think it is extremely soft paint. Once I got home, I noticed a scratch that is about 2 inches long by the back door handle. I'm sure I didn't do it, but I didn't notice it when I picked it up.
I know you are more wanting to know about the paint color rather than chips, but I wanted to throw this in...I had a clear bra installed by a 3rd party on the full hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors. I'm sure you know many people are indifferent about clear bras stating to just use touch-up paint occasionally, then get it repainted in 5 years. I didn't want to deal with the rock chips at all so I'm hoping this works (too soon to tell I think).
As for color...from what I was told by a couple of different Lexus salesmen, the stargazer/celestial black with metallic flakes is harder than the obsidian black so it should stand up a bit better to the elements; although you'll still get rock chips and you could still damage your paint with normal wear and tear.
If you think the stargazer black looks great, then go for it. I just thought that color took away from the deep rich black that obsidian is so I went for obsidian. I knew what I was getting into so I took precautions with the clear bra and hope it protects my car. Bottom line: I bet the current Obsidian is just as soft as (if not softer than) your astral black. Just my opinion of course.
Wow you just resurrected a 2 year old thread! I ordered the Stargazer black but then saw Stargazer alongside Starfire pearl and went for the starfire pearl in the end!
Old 07-21-14, 12:31 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
Wow you just resurrected a 2 year old thread! I ordered the Stargazer black but then saw Stargazer alongside Starfire pearl and went for the starfire pearl in the end!
Actually, someone else did, then I added to it, but still...I didn't look at the older dates. I remember seeing your name several times on here so that should have triggered something. Sorry to post

Last edited by Mors; 07-21-14 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-21-14, 05:15 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Color debates are timeless!
Old 07-21-14, 08:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I was reading the first post and thought " Wait a sec, rayaans has the SFP F-Sport he so loves and now he wants a black one???" Then I got to the part where "at present, I drive and 05 RX..." and hen noticed the date
Old 07-21-14, 08:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I was reading the first post and thought " Wait a sec, rayaans has the SFP F-Sport he so loves and now he wants a black one???" Then I got to the part where "at present, I drive and 05 RX..." and then noticed the date
Oh well, this forum is very quiet largely in part thanks to the excellent reliability of the RX, so we end up resurrecting old threads and inadvertently trick other CL members!
Old 07-22-14, 06:36 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Oh well, this forum is very quiet largely in part thanks to the excellent reliability of the RX, so we end up resurrecting old threads and inadvertently trick other CL members!
Yep, love the colour on this one, its genuinely intriguing to watch it change in different light settings! I'll definitely go back to black one day, maybe when im retired and dont have anything to do apart from polish the car every week!!

A good 20 years to go yet!