RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Windshield Sensor Leaking Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 10:44 AM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Sensor Leaking Fluid?

Hi, wondering if anyone can help or have experienced this. There is a sensor to the passenger side of the windshield (not under the rear view) that is attached to the windshield near the top. In extremely hot weather (above 100F) when the car is parked outside for the day during work, a clear oily liquid leaks out from this sensor area and runs down the windshield. I've experienced this on about 5 occassions and each time i wipe it off. there' is no odor, just clear and oily.

this is a problem as i have a radar detector suctioned to the area where the liquid runs to and the suction cups won't stick if i don't clear the liquid off before installing each time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm afraid to make a trip to the dealer since it's not reproducable unless it's really hot. thanks
Old 09-08-12, 11:49 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Never heard of that one. You'll have to make that trip to the dealer with the oil on the windshield. Don't speed w/o your radar detector .
Originally Posted by vtec26
Hi, wondering if anyone can help or have experienced this. There is a sensor to the passenger side of the windshield (not under the rear view) that is attached to the windshield near the top. In extremely hot weather (above 100F) when the car is parked outside for the day during work, a clear oily liquid leaks out from this sensor area and runs down the windshield. I've experienced this on about 5 occassions and each time i wipe it off. there' is no odor, just clear and oily.

this is a problem as i have a radar detector suctioned to the area where the liquid runs to and the suction cups won't stick if i don't clear the liquid off before installing each time.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm afraid to make a trip to the dealer since it's not reproducable unless it's really hot. thanks
Old 09-08-12, 01:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont really know what sensor you are referring to if its near the top of the windshield
Old 09-08-12, 03:35 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RXSF, I believe that vtec26 is referring to the raindrop sensor.
Old 09-08-12, 03:44 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rush right to the dealer since you are in California.....We last had rain in April where I am....I think that option was for the minority in Oregon who drive a Lexus!!
Old 09-10-12, 11:57 AM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all. At least now I know what sensor it is. I wasn't sure if it was the light sensor for the auto high beam or the rain sensor for the wipers.

I'll call up the dealer and ask about it and perhaps get the floor mat recall taken care of all at the same time.

I just hate hearing "we can't reproduce the problem." I also cleaned my windshield, so now i have to wait for another hot day before i can show the problem.
Old 07-08-13, 12:56 PM
karzagr
Driver School Candidate

Interesting. I just bought a 2010 LX350 and I am having the same problem with a slowly leaking rain sensor. Lexus dealer (via phone) says that he has never seen the problem. How did you resolve the problem with the dealer? were they able to seal it, or did they need to replace the entire unit? Thanks for posting the problem.
Old 07-12-13, 09:35 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same problem on mine but only one occasion.
Will ask about it next service interval.
Old 07-13-13, 06:33 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Kind of off-topic but does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor? I live in a foggy area and often times, the windshield would be covered from the mist of the fog and even though the entire windshield is covered with water, the auto windshield wiper still wouldn't move. Any other folks here experience the same issue?
Old 07-16-13, 06:52 AM
karzagr
Driver School Candidate

SteveCraig if your dealer can provide any useful info, would appreciate hearing what he has to say. Thanks
Old 07-16-13, 07:56 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davezaristo
Kind of off-topic but does anyone know if there's a way to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor? I live in a foggy area and often times, the windshield would be covered from the mist of the fog and even though the entire windshield is covered with water, the auto windshield wiper still wouldn't move. Any other folks here experience the same issue?

I believe it's on the wiper stalk. Rotate the dial to the highest setting.
Old 07-16-13, 08:17 AM
vtec26
Driver School Candidate

Issue was identified and fixed by the dealer. The rain sensor is attached to the windshield with gel tape. In heat the gel tape shrunk and the gel melted causing the oily run. Dealer replaced the tape and remounted the sensor and no more issues. Lets see if it gets through the summer with no problems.
Old 07-16-13, 12:46 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the explanation makes sense. Hopefully the dealer is using a glue with a higher melting point this time around.
Old 07-16-13, 06:43 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I believe it's on the wiper stalk. Rotate the dial to the highest setting.
already did and still not working
Old 07-17-13, 08:19 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davezaristo
We live in a fog belt too.! Believe the sensor picks up on the change of what it sees/detects.
I'll usually just pulse the wipers once then it's fine.
Put the old Buick away about a month ago & Jane now gets to park in the garage. This will likely make the issue disappear. As soon as she backs out in rain/fog, the detector will see the change in state of the glass clarity.

Quick Reply: Windshield Sensor Leaking Fluid?