RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Your thoughts on interface to Audio and Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 07:40 AM
Hvarsov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Takes about 15 minutes to get used to.......not a big deal
Old 01-03-13, 01:58 PM
CRH
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for all the info and shared experiences with the remote interface. Maybe it's not as distracting as I feared. I need to look into the question of the compass in the rear-view mirror. It was not there in the RX350 in which I rode. May still wait for 2014 and see what has changed. Hard to beat a Lexus.
Old 01-03-13, 03:13 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRH
Thanks for all the info and shared experiences with the remote interface. Maybe it's not as distracting as I feared. I need to look into the question of the compass in the rear-view mirror. It was not there in the RX350 in which I rode. May still wait for 2014 and see what has changed. Hard to beat a Lexus.
You may not want to wait for the 2014's hoping for changes. They will be small after this refresh in 2013. Lexus will probably do a complete redesign in 2015.
Old 01-03-13, 04:31 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UCSB
You may not want to wait for the 2014's hoping for changes. They will be small after this refresh in 2013. Lexus will probably do a complete redesign in 2015.
I think you're spot on. A co-worker has a loaner 2013 and there are some considerable changes over our 2010. I don't see them doing much more in 2014 if the rumored 4th generation is only one additional year out.
Old 02-02-13, 10:02 AM
alp0495
Driver School Candidate

I'm not a fan of the display in the 2011... would like to have a combo screen where I could see the current temp for climate control, outside temp, radio station I am listening to, in addition to the maps. Passengers like to see current temp and direction as well. Nissan has a very good combined view. Any rumors about Lexus coming up with that?
Old 02-02-13, 12:54 PM
deilenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
My '10 with nav shows direction in the rear view mirror. I believe Lexus dropped it in '11..
Our "New" CPO '11 has the compass in the rear view and NAV..

And the big bin? I've been hoping someone had a good use for it. Maybe a 12 pack of beer?
Old 02-04-13, 03:49 PM
CRH
Driver School Candidate

Question Is it too late?

Back to the navigation system screens: is it just a matter of programming, to give us a "trip info" screen, with outdoor temp, current mpg, cruising range, miles traveled? I would say that the outdoor temp and cruising range are what I use the most. The current mpg graph also helps me stretch that tank of gasoline. And wouldn't it be simple to include the ever-visible compass in the vehicles with nav systems, since the compasses are available in vehicles without nav systems? Lexus, say it's not too late to make these simple improvements to 2014 RX models!
Old 02-04-13, 04:50 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRH
I was ready to buy my 3rd Lexus RX, the 2013, until I rode in one with a friend. I'm concerned about the joystick taking too much attention from the road, and also the trip info screen was missing. That screen tells me almost everything I need to know at a glance in my 2009. And what happened to the compass in the rearview mirror? Such a simple, handy tool. I was disappointed, and I understand that 2014 will not change the dash controls. Changes that are not user-friendly improvements are so frustrating. Then, there is the bulky console taking up floorspace for my bag....
I have both touch screen and joy steak - I do agree with you that the joy steak do take a lot more attention awAy from the road, maybe because the Rx monitor is too small and far away wher ill have to look more to where the arrow is going. This may not be a problem if the screen is as big as the new gs.

Also, the lexus joy steak look too cheap compare to bimmer or Audi...IMO.
Old 02-28-13, 11:48 AM
kryten
Rookie

As a new 2013 owner with nav system I too feared about the distractions whilst driving. I am getting used to it but do still wish there were a couple of radio control buttons and preset buttons on the dash. My girlfriend will be less likely to get on with it than me, she much prefers manual controls for everything (refuses to use auto headlights, climate control etc etc).

My biggest complaint is that everything automatically goes back to the nav map screen if I do not touch the controls for a while. Is that programmable? If so I guess I have not found the setting yet (not looked that hard though). I would like to leave it on the audio screen sometimes (although set the split screen to be showing audio on right)
Old 02-28-13, 01:44 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kryten
As a new 2013 owner with nav system I too feared about the distractions whilst driving. I am getting used to it but do still wish there were a couple of radio control buttons and preset buttons on the dash. My girlfriend will be less likely to get on with it than me, she much prefers manual controls for everything (refuses to use auto headlights, climate control etc etc).

My biggest complaint is that everything automatically goes back to the nav map screen if I do not touch the controls for a while. Is that programmable? If so I guess I have not found the setting yet (not looked that hard though). I would like to leave it on the audio screen sometimes (although set the split screen to be showing audio on right)
I agree I miss the direct preset buttons, but I've carefully arranged the channels I want in the presets, and just scroll up/down through them with the steering wheel up/down buttons on the left side. You may want to give that a try. Not perfect, but you don't have to take your hands off the steering wheel or eyes off the road either.

It will be worthwhile when you get a chance to go through the large manuals. Amazing things to be found. See if this helps do what you want... Go to Menu / Setup / General / Auto Screen Change to OFF. I bet yours is now ON.

Enjoy that RX!
Old 02-28-13, 06:09 PM
kryten
Rookie

Thanks, I did do the auto screen change and it seems good
Old 02-28-13, 07:19 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shaolin
I have both touch screen and joy steak - I do agree with you that the joy steak do take a lot more attention awAy from the road, maybe because the Rx monitor is too small and far away wher ill have to look more to where the arrow is going. This may not be a problem if the screen is as big as the new gs.

Also, the lexus joy steak look too cheap compare to bimmer or Audi...IMO.
My wife loves the "joy steak" controls.
Old 02-28-13, 07:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bert,
X2 on getting things arranged, then you can pull most of it up from the steering wheel. A lot of good can come from reading those books. Reason they're so thick, is so much in them .

Anyway once you get familiar, it's 2nd nature. I remember in the Navy every time a new airframe came out even us crew members had to go to school to learn how stuff functioned. Usually it was all good too.
Originally Posted by BertL
I agree I miss the direct preset buttons, but I've carefully arranged the channels I want in the presets, and just scroll up/down through them with the steering wheel up/down buttons on the left side. You may want to give that a try. Not perfect, but you don't have to take your hands off the steering wheel or eyes off the road either.

It will be worthwhile when you get a chance to go through the large manuals. Amazing things to be found. See if this helps do what you want... Go to Menu / Setup / General / Auto Screen Change to OFF. I bet yours is now ON.

Enjoy that RX!
Old 03-01-13, 08:02 AM
kryten
Rookie

Originally Posted by kryten
Thanks, I did do the auto screen change and it seems good
Seems I spoke too soon. Didn't seem to have stopped it today. I'll check I did hit the save though later
Old 03-01-13, 05:55 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CRH
Back to the navigation system screens: is it just a matter of programming, to give us a "trip info" screen, with outdoor temp, current mpg, cruising range, miles traveled? I would say that the outdoor temp and cruising range are what I use the most. The current mpg graph also helps me stretch that tank of gasoline. And wouldn't it be simple to include the ever-visible compass in the vehicles with nav systems, since the compasses are available in vehicles without nav systems? Lexus, say it's not too late to make these simple improvements to 2014 RX models!
Wasn't the reason they removed the compass is the fact that its displayed in the navigation window?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on interface to Audio and Navigation system