RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Drove vehicle with no key

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 10:51 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Should I feel guilty that I laughed after reading stories where this happened Seriously, nobody has been harmed. Maybe you should consider investing in the wallet card if you're concerned about it.

Now if your spouse takes off with your wallet, you got yourself a whole different problem

Edit: Here's a thread with more information on the smart access card as it's called.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-14-16 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 11:18 AM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst than these scenarios is I've seen on the news where people have forgot to turn off their car after parking it in their garage. They later died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 03-26-16, 12:32 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Don't make this mistake...

You get in the car and drop your wife off at the salon then head off to the gym. You shut your car off and lock it only to realize you don't have your key fob. Your car started because your wife had hers and now you are a couple miles away without the key. Good day for a long, long walk, lol.
Have you tested this?

Can you turn it off without a fob inside the car?

How would you lock it without the fob?

I have trouble locking it sometimes when I do have the fob

Just curious
Old 03-26-16, 08:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSnowman
Have you tested this?
I have tested this.

You can turn off the car without the FOB simply press the button.

I always hit the lock button on the door when I exit the vehicle as it is easier than digging in my pocket for the FOB.

Just curious
Easy enough to test in your driveway.
Old 03-26-16, 08:30 AM
drobbins
Rookie

Have you tested this?

Just curious
Yes, you can absolutely turn it off without the fob in the car, you just can't restart it.

You would need to lock it using the switch on the driver's door. I'm pretty sure that you can lock it and close the door and it will stay locked.

Maybe you need a new battery for the fob?
Old 03-27-16, 12:43 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I have tested this.

You can turn off the car without the FOB simply press the button.

I always hit the lock button on the door when I exit the vehicle as it is easier than digging in my pocket for the FOB.

Easy enough to test in your driveway.
Okay, there's a big clue there for me when you say you dig in your pocket for the FOB !!!

My Lexus is locked by touch the indent on the driver's door; it was built in Japan, maybe American models don't have this? My fob stays in it's leather case and that stays in my pocket, I never have any need to press it.

So I tested this; yes, I can turn it off without the fob nearby, but I can't lock it by pressing the button inside on the armrest and then closing the door. The locks do actuate but do not stay locked when the door is closed. Even with the fob nearby, same thing, push the central locking button, close door, NOT locked.

If you can lock yours that way, they are obviously coded or programmed differently; very interesting.

Please enlighten me, thanks, John

Old 03-27-16, 06:17 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Holy crap. Someone told me that if someone hopped in and drove away without the fob, the car would only go a few meters before stopping!
Apparently, that's not the case which sucks because it would be nice to leave it running for a few minutes outside to warm it to on a cold day while you finish something inside your house. You can't seem to lock it with the fob from outside of the running vehicle, either.
Old 03-27-16, 06:43 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Some have reportedly been able to lock the running car with the door key and successfully return to find their car where they left it.
Old 03-27-16, 07:28 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Okay, there's a big clue there for me when you say you dig in your pocket for the FOB !!!

My Lexus is locked by touch the indent on the driver's door; it was built in Japan, maybe American models don't have this? My fob stays in it's leather case and that stays in my pocket, I never have any need to press it.

So I tested this; yes, I can turn it off without the fob nearby, but I can't lock it by pressing the button inside on the armrest and then closing the door. The locks do actuate but do not stay locked when the door is closed. Even with the fob nearby, same thing, push the central locking button, close door, NOT locked.

If you can lock yours that way, they are obviously coded or programmed differently; very interesting.

My 2014 RX350 AWD w/ Nav was made on Ontario, Canada. It does have the indents in the outside door handles but I seldom use them. I just hit the armrest lock switch upon exiting. For me its habit and the fact that my hand is right there anyway. I did lock my doors without the keyfob being present though and they stayed locked. Perhaps there is a personalized setting for this. Thinking about it, I'd prefer it to stay locked in this scenario as I'd need to leave the vehicle for some time to fetch the fob and would not want it to sit unlocked in a busy location.
Old 03-27-16, 01:45 PM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Here is what I have determined. I can in fact lock the doors without the fob using the lock button on the armrest, as long as the engine is not running. If the engine is running the only way for me to lock the doors is with the mechanical key.

I have not looked into the personal settings to see if I can make any changes to effect the way the fob reacts while the engine is running. Since I have the doors set to lock once I take the car out of park that might have something to do with it not looking while the engine is running.
Old 03-27-16, 03:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Links to Lexus Personalized Settings by MY are in the FAQ thread. Glancing at 2015, there's a few ways to change the way the vehicle locks while running. It can be programmed to automatically lock all doors when reaching a certain speed or shifting out of Park. Either can be changed. Also, it's standard for the doors to unlock when shifting into Park. It can be changed to remain locked.

Getting back to driving off without the key fob, maybe that's part of the reason why Lexus has the vehicle turn off after the driver or front passenger door handle is touched with remote start. I can only imagine how many more stories we'd have.
Old 03-28-16, 06:09 PM
drobbins
Rookie

Same here, I almost never use the key fob, always use the indent to lock the vehicle.

However, I did test the method I suggested for locking the car when the fob is not nearby. Below is what I found...
First, the indent will not work if the fob isn't in the immediate vicinity (maybe a 3' range).
On our 2015 RX, I was able to use the button on the driver's door armrest (inside the vehicle) to actuate all the locks and close the door with all the doors remaining locked. I haven't tested this on the 2011.
Also, for those of you who are finding this whole thread a bit scary (driving off without the key fob in the vehicle), you do get a warning on the console as soon as the fob leaves the vehicle. (Yes, I have had to run into a restaurant after my wife, who insists on keeping the fob in her pocket book, left the RX while I was about to go somewhere else).