RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My 2013 RX450h -- First Impressions

Old 06-19-12, 09:27 AM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forress
I've test drove the 2012 RX450h in April and took home the 2013 RX450h earlier this month. One improvement I like on the 2013 and haven't seen it mentioned much is the auto closing side mirrors when you lock the car. I liked it on the RR Evoque and was pleasantly pleased to have it on my 450h.
Even though I'd rarely need it, thats a nice feature.

Is that standard.

I didn't notice that when I was toying with a 2013 last month.

I know that the folding mirrors are powered, but didn't know they automatically folded in when you locked the car door.
Old 06-19-12, 09:57 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The "power folding" version of the side mirrors come with either the premium or luxury packages here in the US. There are two additional buttons at the top of the driver's side mirror positioning buttons we all know -- one is to manually move the mirrors in and out, the other is "auto mode" which turns the mirrors in and out when you lock and unlock the doors. (I started with the truck in Auto mode, but it's back in manual movement of the mirrors using the button when I want to -- found with all my initial detailing work and running out to the car to try this or that multiple times each day, it started to drive me crazy with all the in-and-out movement of the mirrors. I try to park away from other people, but I just push the button the couple of times I've had to park between other vehicles. I suspect Auto mode could be nifty, especially when running a bunch of errands, and maybe again once I settle down and stop playing with my new toy so much.)

The base RX model (no premium or luxury pkgs) side mirrors can only be "manually" folded.

Last edited by BertL; 06-19-12 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added "how I'm using them" section
Old 06-19-12, 11:17 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

BertL,

You had an '06 400h? I'm not sure, but like the '08, it probably had a 0-60 time of <7 sec.

The new 450h AWD is supposed to be in the mid-7 second range. How "perceptible" is that slower time in "real life" to you?

Also, I'm wondering how much of your report update applies to the non-hybrid model. I'm guessing a LOT of it does.
Old 06-20-12, 05:29 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by BobBass
BertL,

You had an '06 400h? I'm not sure, but like the '08, it probably had a 0-60 time of <7 sec.

The new 450h AWD is supposed to be in the mid-7 second range. How "perceptible" is that slower time in "real life" to you?

Also, I'm wondering how much of your report update applies to the non-hybrid model. I'm guessing a LOT of it does.
Yes, I had an '06 RX400h AWD for nearly 7 years. It had been out for just a few weeks when I made my purchase of the first Lexus hybrid in 2005. It was rated at 7.3 sec for 0-60 mph at 268 hp, compared to the '13 RX450h AWD I now have at 7.4 sec for 0-60 mph with 295 hp. The difference when I step on the gas, e.g. on a freeway on-ramp, is not perceptible, however the sound is much different. Whereas the '06 had more of a "whine" when the engine and both electric motors were kicked-in, the '13 has a bit more "mature" sound doing the same thing. The '13 isn't yet a "growl", but it has grown-up somewhat in it's vocalization. The '13 is also far smoother in shifting and transition from gas to electric and vice-versa -- which I REALLY like.

Most of my comments here do apply to the '13 RX350 ...beyond the hybrid complex, most of the other differences between it and a 450h are in packaging and availability of options. There are pretty good summaries of those differences and selection of one vs the other in this forum's FAQs as well as on Lexus.com and the hardcopy brochure for the RX family.
Old 06-24-12, 05:32 PM
rongro
Driver School Candidate

Smile 2013 RX450h

I really enjoyed the write-up you prepared. I have a similar vehicle, same color and most of the specs. I didn't get, or want, the Levinson system as my ear isn't that fine tuned. I have the 12 speaker system which serves me well. I replaced a 2008 RX400h with just over 82K miles on it. Never had an issue with the vehicle. I just wanted to get a new one as I had driven the 2012's on a loner basis and liked the seats and ride, which was much improved over the 2008.

The only thing I don't like is the bluetooth phone connection. The sound of the person I am speaking with is very tinny and, sometimes, difficult to understand. I asked service to check it out, but they informed me that was the way it is in 2013 RX's. I asked a sales person to hook me into another 2013 RX to try out the bluetooth phone connection - it was the same. My 2008 and my wife's 2009 GS350 have great sound quality with some decent base to the speaker. I compare the connection to a kids toy that has a speaker in it. Definitely not what I would consider Lexus quality. To me, that is the only short coming of the vehicle.

I picked up my car on 06/02/2012. I live in South Florida and was informed that I probably got the first 2013 Hybrid in south Florida.
With about 1200 miles on the car, I am getting about 28.5 local driving. I drove to NW Florida last week and averaged about 27 mpg highway doing about 70 the entire trip. Not too shabby for new. Based on my last hybrid, I expect the mileage to improve over the next several thousand miles.

I purchased my Lexus JM Lexus in Margate Florida. The sales and turnover staff there are superb. Like you said, they treated me and my wife as though we were their only customer.
Old 06-24-12, 06:43 PM
BertL

Rongro, thanks for your comments and congrats on your new RX. While I don't use my phone often in the car, I agree with you that it's sound is "tinny" -- definitely an area Lexus could improve on, and i believe is somewhat worse than in my 2006 RX400h. I'm also finding the voice commands to not work as well with my tone as they apparently do with others here on the boards - I've tried speaking normal loudness, louder, more enunciated, and even up "towards the microphone in the sky".. I'm a bit frustrated receiving the repeated "pardon?" from the nav lady when she does not know what I'm saying, and passengers chuckles when it does not work. ;-) Alas, there is always something that can be improved on our next rides! You've already got 10X the mileage on yours that I do... Happy travels!
Old 06-25-12, 05:32 PM
hvs69
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bert

Excellent Write-up.

I am in Northern California and looking for exactly same vehicle (except the color). As you already know, it is impossible to find RX with headsup display and pre-collision system. I have talked to several dealers in my area and they are extremely lukewarm to the idea of special ordering the vehicle. All of them are not willing to negotiate on the pricing (Full MSRP for special order). It looks like you were able to get some discount. I am thinking of talking to your dealer even though he is far away from where I live.

Also, what is your opinion of the 2 aforementioned features. Do you think it is worth waiting for 3-4 months for those 2 features?

Thanks again for your contribution.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (03-22-20)
Old 06-26-12, 05:47 AM
BertL

Thanks. Lexus of Escondido had zero problems with special ordering my vehicle as soon as they realized I knew specific options I had to have on my RX. Any of the three people I mentioned in my first post will remember me -- just say you read about Bert's RX450h posts on Club Lexus.
  • The HUD is already a "must have" for all my future vehicles. I never got it why a couple of friends with Corvettes thought this was so hot when Chevy introduced it many years ago. It's very convenient having the MPH low in front of you, and I tend to be even more conscious of my speed as a result, even on take-off's, so it will likely have a side benefit of better overall MPG with my hybrid. I would wait the 3-4 months to have it most definitely.
  • Pre-collission / Radar Cruise Control ... It's great having the safety part of this option (pre-tensioning of seat belts, prep of brakes should the truck think you're gonna hit something), but not sure I'd wait because of that feature alone. I've been told some customers will wait specifically for this feature, especially if they've been in head-on's or do lots of open road traveling. There is no hidden side benefit, such as reduced car insurance premiums that I'm aware of -- at least with State Farm in my case. I had the radar cruise control feature on my BMW (part of the same PCS option on the Lexus) -- it appears to work similarly in both and with HUD shows up there when in use. I would only recommend this to someone that does lots of open road traveling (say, on the 5 in your case, or in my case, the 15 to Vegas), or if you do lots of "caravanning" with other people like I used to do taking bunches of guys with Scouts on camping/hiking trips. It's super to set it to a desired MPH, and then if you come up behind someone going slower, the car will slow and keep the same distance behind them. Once you pull over to pass or they get out of the way, the car goes back to the desired MPH automagically. If you are not aware, the vehicle will slow way down if needed, but it will NOT apply the brakes to completely stop you -- various beeps occur if that is needed, but you must still stop your own vehicle if it comes to that. If you've never had radar cruise control, the one thing I'll say is DO NOT use it when you're on curvy (mountain or coast) roads, or in our case here in CA, where you have high overpass freeway interchanges... It can be unnerving if you're behind someone -- the vehicle has slowed you down -- and as you enter the turn, your vehicle now "sees nothing in front of you" while you're in the wide curve. For those moments, you begin to accelerate when you may not want to like some action movie where the car speeds off the side. Get the picture? Other than that, a nifty option on what I'd term the open road or even on 45+ open roads in urban areas, but it's not a "must have" for me. I purchased this option only because I'm a guy that loves his technology, figured it was not a whole lot more on a near $60K vehicle, and for the few times I'm on the open freeway, it will be a fun thing to have. It's an expensive toy if I look at it from the standpoint of how often it will really be in use.
  • I assume you'll get Parking Assist -- it's also a "must have" in my book now that I have it. A great addition to the backup camera and works very well.
  • If I were ordering a RX today, I'd add the new Blind Spot Monitor without question. From what I read in the manuals, it looks like a great feature, especially with all the crazy drivers and motorcycles that sneak up from behind and pass between the vehicle next to you.

Good luck with your pursuit and welcome to CL!
Old 07-06-12, 12:57 AM
spoon808
Rookie

How is the performance of the new LED headlamps? I noticed that now they got rid of the bottom subreflector so now it's just two projectors. care to take some pics and a review?
Old 07-06-12, 05:54 AM
BertL

^^^ spoon808: My overall impression of the LED headlights remains about the same as when I first took delivery:
  • The daytime look is great -- very happy with the design. A few pics are here (scroll back/forth for at least 2 more shots).
  • I have not yet taken a long night-time road trip, and don't have any planned in the next few weeks, so my opinion thus far on headlight operation is based upon shorter evening jaunts about town. As such, ALS works great. Overall spread of the light is acceptable, as is distance. No issues about town or with oncoming drivers flashing me (like happens with some people that put in aftermarket LEDs in their vehicles not designed for them). I would say the LEDs have a more consistent spread of light than I had with my old HIDs, e.g. it seems it's a more even rectangle of light when on my garage door for example, than my previous ride had -- I doubt I can tell a difference on the road though. I still would have preferred to have AFS if that had not been completely discontinued from the 2013s -- miss the movement as I turn corners -- perhaps because I had that functionality for nearly 7 years on my 2006 RX400h and became so used to it. Now, can I say I really have less headlight coverage and that impacts safety some way because AFS has been taken away? The answer is no at this point -- but I've also not been on mountain roads at night yet. Brightness of the LEDs is OK. Very bright when they come on during the day, even in my garage. My subjective opinion without a side-by-side comparison is they are not quite as bright as my old OEM HIDs on my RX400h -- but I also don't think it makes a real difference in the driving experience either way.
So, in the end. Would I purchase the LEDs again? If looks were the only decision point, especially when the headlights are off during the day, the answer would be yes. If cost were not an issue, yes. ...but given a choice, having seen and used both, I'd choose the optional HIDs on my ride today and save a few hundred bucks. I get the LED DRLs with either choice. The problem is, US Lexus option packaging in 2012 and 2013 forced the LED headlights on me -- they are part of the Luxury Pkg which I wanted for other options on the 2013, and the dealer configurator forced the LEDs for some other reason when my original 2012 was ordered. For me, having HID or LEDs was not a deal breaker as long as I had one or the other on my ride. Now that I have the LEDs and as time goes on, I'm sure they'll be what I love.
Old 07-10-12, 11:09 AM
LovMRX450
Driver School Candidate

BeryL,
Great reviews. I got my 2013 RX450h with comfort, premium and navi packages two wks ago for my wife. I got it almost 1.5k under invoice through South Bay Lexus. I love the new refresh exterior with led day light.
Old 07-10-12, 11:22 AM
BertL

LovMRX450: Thanks and a big congrats to you and your wife on your new ride. Welcome to CL!!!
Old 07-10-12, 11:46 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LovMRX450
BeryL,
Great reviews. I got my 2013 RX450h with comfort, premium and navi packages two wks ago for my wife. I got it almost 1.5k under invoice through South Bay Lexus. I love the new refresh exterior with led day light.
Wow. You got a brand new 2013 450h for 1.5k under invoice. You are the master of the negotiator. Congrats.
Old 07-10-12, 12:08 PM
LovMRX450
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,

I inquired several dealers for 2012 model through internet; the South Bay Lexus called me the next morning stated they sold out the 2012 model, they offered the 2013 model with great price that I can not pass this great deal. I actually got it in evening after I got out of work. I am just lucky.
Old 08-03-12, 03:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bert,

After driving a 2013 loaner (a GS, not RX) this week, I want to say again what a great job you've done reviewing, so thorough and comprehensive.

On the face of the radio I did notice the Gracenote logo and came home and thumbed through the online manual and then a re-read your review. I noticed you said you may not use that feature. However, I'm curious if the dealer will charge you for the first database update?

I also like the customizable startup image and display off image. Nice touch to be able to personalize the car.

I was disappointed with the rather short list of voice commands, but the manual and your review clarified I needed to turn on expanded. I voice command temperature and SAT radio channels ever so often and the short command list is pretty restricted.

The larger split screen is nice, but would require some getting used to the cursor motion. I kept trying to activate non-function icons.

The loaner, understandably, had no applications so I didn't get to try out any of that functionality.

Again, thanks for the reviews and the bolding of text within your review is very helpful.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 2013 RX450h -- First Impressions