RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My 2013 RX450h -- First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 04:04 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Superb write up and thread.

Thank you for taking the time to collect, share and document your thoughts and impressions. Enjoy your new RXh in good health.
Old 08-03-12, 05:48 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks again for positive comments. I'm glad this post has helped contribute back to the forum in some way. DunWkg, as to a couple of your comments:

-- Gracenote. I can't find a reference to this in my original post, but then again, I may still be sleeping. Gracenote itself I believe is used by the vehicle to help show titles of albums, artists, etc for those tunes that don't have the tagged "MP3" info -- at least that is how it was in my BMW. If you want to load your own music via CD/DVD/USB you can tag that info yourself -- if you don't, I believe that's when the Lexus will go to the Gracenote database and attempt to show some more info on the tune you're listening to or scanning. If you just stream your music from say your iPhone or hard-wired from your iPod for example, I don't know why the truck would need to look up any info -- iTunes includes it all except for manually imported MP3s and the like. In terms of an update for this and if Lexus would charge for it, I bet they would charge -- BMW did way back in 2008 -- but updates to Gracenote would be even less necessary in my mind than say map updates for the Nav everyone tends to moan over in terms of price of those upgrades. Tee-hee.
What I've not yet made any real use of is the new ability on the 2013 to tag songs I'm listening to from XM or say HD Radio, where the vehicle will put that info onto my hardwired iPod, such that when I bring that iPod back in the house and connect it to iTunes I can see the list of tagged tunes and get to them in the ITunes Store for possible purchase. It works (tried it once for kicks), but with 700+ CDs on my iPod, I don't buy a lot of new individual tracks or albums these days..
-- Voice Commands. Yes, isn't it a dumb default to start the vehicle with a subset? At least there is a way to override and get them all for those that go through the options or read the manuals. Unfortunately for me, after having been excited about the new voice commands, I'm finding I seldom use them. ...not because I don't want to, but because the truck does not recognize my voice the vast majority of the time. Very frustrating to say things (especially if someone else or even my dog is in the truck with me), the truck keep saying "pardon", and I try to lower or raise my tone, or speak more slowly -- and go through that 2-3 times before I cancel the voice command... especially when I've been known as a speaker/presenter most of my life and as part of my job for 30+ years where tone/volume were always something I didn't have to worry with in small or large audiences via telecon or in person. I can't wait to get an iPhone 5 and see how Siri does with recognizing my voice -- then I'll know if it's really me, or voice recognition technology isn't quite up to where it could be by some manufacturers.

-- I agree the screen is not bad on the RX, but I'd love to have the even wider version that the GX does perhaps on the 4th gen RX -- some split screens are usable but really tight, e.g. nav on the left with hybrid info on the right. As far as the new mutl-controller goes, on your next rental (or new RX!) go in and change the amount of haptic feedback you receive as the cursor pops over selectable icons -- that has made a huge difference for me so the icons are "more sticky" and more easily "grabbed" as I move the multi-controller. I really like this second gen multi-controller on my 2013. It beats the socks off what my "old" BMW had.

Still loving my RXh, coming up on 2 months of ownership!
Old 08-03-12, 06:18 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My bad, I thought this to mean Gracenote functionality:

New HD FM radio is a big plus on sound quality, and the music tagging feature seams sorta neat. Not sure I'll make great use of the latter, but it's there to keep up with the Jones' I suspect.
Old 08-03-12, 06:43 AM
BertL

Yes, and HD Radio remains a BIG plus for me.
Old 02-17-13, 12:39 PM
BertL

Thumbs up First Impressions -- Part III - Conclusion

I've now owned my 2013 RX450h for just over 8 months, and have only 3300 miles on the ODO, including a single recent 800-mile 4-day road trip. (Yes, I know what you're thinking. Many would love to own my lightly-used and well taken care of trade-in's when the time comes ). Before the 2014's are announced and become available one of these days, I thought it might be useful to document a third and final set of thoughts to close out this thread in addition to what is in my original two posts #1 and #19. Here we go…
Overall handling remains great. I have no complaints around town or on long trips.

My 19" Bridgestones are fine by me. I have played with PSI and am running closer to 40, vs the 33 I started with. It feels a whole lot better for my taste.

LED headlights are really pretty sweet. I still think they cost to much for what they are. Even though the spread of the low beams is more than acceptable, I still miss AFS and am sad Lexus took it away on the 2013s.

Parchment Interior and my Espresso Maple trim were great choices for me. I have no issues with keeping it clean even with my Golden Retriever who sheds like wild fire and rides in the back seat most of the time on a Canine Cover …but then again, I don't have kids riding in my truck, nor do I eat or drink in it either the vast majority of the time. The key I believe is to always do a wipe down of the seats with a damp cloth each time I wash the vehicle. I also have used Leather Masters Protectant as has been discussed over on the Detailing Forum, and it's proven to be nothing but excellent allowing me to easily remove darker blue jean transfer that occurs on the edges and seat bottom no matter how careful one is.

Seats are extremely comfortable for me as a 5'-11"+ sort of guy. Lumbar adjustments help a lot, but seat cushion extensions (part of one of the option pkgs) remain as useless as I originally thought they were.

Like so many others here in the US, I do miss the sunglasses holder and think about that fact twice each time I am in my truck when I have to get them out and put them back into the harder-to-reach center console.

I have found I never use Sport Mode. Given the truck always defaults this option off each time you start the vehicle, I just forget about it most of the time. I would probably keep the truck in Sport Mode if the setting could be permanent.

Unlike some, I have not yet had a single failure of the Nav and it's database to get me to where I wanted to go. While I don't like SiriusXM Customer Service at all, I have found NavTraffic to be useful with the Nav doing auto rerouting based on traffic jams. As a result, I plan to keep NavTraffic once the 1-year trial expires. NavTraffic is not always current (a 20 minute update?) and sometimes does not reflect reality, but overall, it's worked great for me, even on this last road trip from SoCal to Nevada and back. ...and for those participating in other threads, I don't keep a Garmin in my ride as backup -- I could always just pull over and use my iPhone with Google Maps, Apple Maps, or whatever, if I really got stuck. I'm not that concerned with Nav failures as some people seem to be.

NavWeather is a waste, just as I expected it would be. The Lexus interface does not utilize as much of this as I believe it could, and it's not as well integrated with the Nav as it could be to make it more useful. I won't pay for it once the trial is up.

I really hate the fact Lexus TOOK AWAY the automatic fade up/down of whatever music source may be playing when the Nav lady kicks in to say something. It's just ridiculous they didn't keep a good thing, like I had in my 199x Lexus vehicles.

Enform. Probably an area I was most excited about, but am most disappointed in. Implementation and packaging is disjointed across offerings (Apps, RES+, eDestination, etc); Apps may be geekie, but are not truly useful at least for me. While I have already signed-up for multiple years of the basic Enform (SOS, eDest, etc) service, I don't plan to pay the installation plus monthly fee for RES+, or the monthly charge to keep the onboard Apps enabled.
This subject is well beyond what I intended for this thread. As such, I plan to start another thread on the subject of telematics and technology in the next couple of months, once I take delivery of my MBZ SLK so I can incorporate some comparisons on implementation and packaging on Lexus, MBZ and what I know from my 2009 BMW. I see this as an important evolving area for auto manufacturers, and I'm seriously concerned Lexus is being too conservative in it's implementation and not being more holistic in their approach as perhaps the competition is already doing. More on this in the future.
I have the more exclusive Pre-Collission System (PCS) that is primarily a safety system that hopefully I never use, but I have found that having the radar-assisted cruise control this option also provides is a real benefit that I use quite a bit -- not just on the open highway, but also on 45-55 MPH type of streets that I'm traveling for longer distances quite often. I've become comfortable and trusting of how this operates, and it's really great the vehicle will slow itself down if you get too close to a slower moving vehicle in your path. I wish it would fully brake the vehicle if it needed to -- like Lexus competitors do, but for what it is, I like it.

MPG. At 3300 miles, I'm past the initial break-in period, but as many have said, 5K is where the truck gets into more of a groove swing. I don't drive like a maniac, but then again, I have no intention of being a hyper-miler or some old grandpa slow-poke either. In other words, for the most part, I drive my hybrid like I would any vehicle, and I keep up with the front part of the pack, knowing that will take away from the possible MPG my RXh could likely deliver. 70 MPH is typical for me on freeways. I use only premium gas -- 91 octane is typical here in SoCal. I probably split my driving something like a 75% city / 25% highway, but it varies. I track my mileage at every fill-up using an iOS App called "Road Trip". My average MPG since purchase has been 26.2, with the worst MPG at any fill-up being a scant 22.8 and the best was more recently 30.3. Not as good as some, but for me, compared to the 30/28 estimated on the sticker and the way I prefer to drive my truck, I'm not complaining too much either. I didn't expect better MPG, but it's interesting that my overall MPG in my former RX400h was just about the same as what I'm getting in my RX450h, 7 years later. Lexus, you're not resting on your laurels, are you?

Fit and finish of the vehicle remains great. My major complaint remains with the "chrome" mouldings under the side windows that just are not designed or attached as well as my previous RX300 and RX400h were. I always have "drips" occurring from under those mouldings after my hand wash and dry session if I don't pull out the blower anticipating the problem each and every time.

So, I'll summarize this thread on my overall 2013 RX450h Impressions this way: I have had ZERO problems since I purchased it 8 months ago -- nothing to cause me to take it into the dealer for warranty service. If something happened to my beloved RX this minute, would I purchase another or even consider another brand? Without question, I'd place an order for another RX450h ASAP. The only thing I would change from what I have, is I would add BSM now that that option is available, and perhaps change the color to Claret Red just to mix things up -- otherwise, it would be an easy decision. The RX is not without a few compromises. We all have little things that bother us or believe could be better, but for me, my RX450h remains the best solution as my primary driver.

Last edited by BertL; 02-17-13 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-13, 06:59 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks BertL for your first impressions part III. Another welcome review. Your part 1 helped sell us on our 2013 a month or so after your first review. Even got Nebula Grey Pearl with Parchment as you did. Passed you up a long time ago on miles, as we now have 6100. Zero problems for us also, and no issues with the Parchment interior.

We have never tried closer to 40 psi on the tires as you like. We have been very happy with 34 psi, although we have Michelins. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try out and see which we like better.
Old 02-17-13, 07:56 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by go3Ds
Thanks BertL for your first impressions part III. Another welcome review. Your part 1 helped sell us on our 2013 a month or so after your first review. Even got Nebula Grey Pearl with Parchment as you did. Passed you up a long time ago on miles, as we now have 6100. Zero problems for us also, and no issues with the Parchment interior.

We have never tried closer to 40 psi on the tires as you like. We have been very happy with 34 psi, although we have Michelins. Guess it wouldn't hurt to try out and see which we like better.
I'm so happy to hear you are loving your RX and you are another person with zero problems. As I've said in other threads, I sometimes think folks can get the wrong impression with people being vocal when they have issues and those seeming to overshadow the more silent majority that lurks around forums like this and never speaks up. I'm not quite a Lexus fanboy, but have had overall great experience since 1995 with this brand. I try real hard to write with some sort of balance -- sometimes the bad or areas that could be improved, but also the good things I think should be called out when the opportunity presents itself. Enjoy that ride! Thanks again for the kind comments. You made my evening.
Old 02-18-13, 03:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

BertL, thanks for the update. No doubt you've convinced a few people to get the RX with your attention to detail on each feature and aspect. It's like we were sitting next to you in your 450h. I appreciate all the time you've taken. Now that the series is over, get out there and put a few more miles on the odometer already
Old 02-18-13, 08:45 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bert,
Sorry to see you consider your latest comments to be a conclusion. I've looked forward to your reports prepared and so well executed for our edification.

You make no reference to voice command in your conclusion. Please, do you have any parting comments on voice command? Thanks.
Old 02-18-13, 09:30 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
... So, I'll summarize this thread on my overall 2013 RX450h Impressions this way: I have had ZERO problems since I purchased it 8 months ago -- nothing to cause me to take it into the dealer for warranty service. If something happened to my beloved RX this minute, would I purchase another or even consider another brand? Without question, I'd place an order for another RX450h ASAP. The only thing I would change from what I have, is I would add BSM now that that option is available, and perhaps change the color to Claret Red just to mix things up -- otherwise, it would be an easy decision. The RX is not without a few compromises. We all have little things that bother us or believe could be better, but for me, my RX450h remains the best solution as my primary driver.
I had to add my 2 cents worth. Although yours has more options than ours, I would agree will ALL of your comments that apply to our 2013. (well maybe except the sunglasses holder, but I don't wear them. )We also, have had NO issues, and nothing to fix or adjust in the first 5K miles. Yep, there are still 1 or 2 things I would like to tweak, but ALL of the important things one might look for (appearance, handling, comfort, utility, materials, size, reliability, and the fit and finish) seem to come together to make it an incredibly sound car. AND ..... as much as we like it as a daily driver (a LOT), it is especially good on road trips!
Old 02-18-13, 10:13 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Bert,
Sorry to see you consider your latest comments to be a conclusion. I've looked forward to your reports prepared and so well executed for our edification.

You make no reference to voice command in your conclusion. Please, do you have any parting comments on voice command? Thanks.
I just figured after a couple recent PMs from folks on my "first impressions" thread that I'd not updated in a while, it was time to bring this particular thread to a close. The folks on the boards here have not gotten rid of me quite yet. I'm still lurking and will keep jumping in.

Anyway, to your question on voice commands... A good one. Sadly, another disappointment for me. My 2013 is essentially no better than my 2006 was. I only use voice commands for one thing... "Go Home". It recognizes that command nearly 100% of the time, but I gave up after 4-6 weeks of trying to use all the others. I had even memorized a bunch of commands I thought I'd make most use of prior to delivery, and honestly became frustrated with repeated "Pardon?" from the Nav Lady. After a couple of times trying to show off with family and friends and her never recognizing me, well, I threw in the towel. It must be something with the tone of my voice Lexus Nav does not like. For 35 years I did a lot of public speaking in business, and spent the majority of most days on teleconferences the last several years I was working. Never once did I have someone comment or suggest I have enunciation or problems projecting myself, but voice commands with the Lexus Lady, well, we don't mesh.

...what will be interesting is that my new on-order MBZ SLK will have voice command capability as well. It also includes an optional customization capability that allows a single person to repeat a series of words and passages, supposedly making voice recognition much better than the "out of the box" version it comes with. For the heck of it, I tried 2 voice commands when I was test driving one MBZ, and amazingly, the default understood me. I was a bit shocked given my many years of not being understood in my RX. My geekie self has played with voice recognition systems from IBM, Dragon, and Apple over the years -- they all generated varying degrees of success, even better when I spent time to train them, but each still had anomalies and are far from perfect. I get that, but a higher percentage of recognition out-of-the-box would be great. I unfortunately suspect voice recognition is another area where Lexus has a telematiics/technology implementation they consider is "reliable and OK for the market", but they've elected to not stretch and really improve it like perhaps the competition has or is. I'll get my thoughts together on that in late April/May timeframe and start a new thread after I've had some time to play with my MBZ.
My teaser for you is it seems MBZ takes a very different approach than Lexus with telematics packaging (for the better I believe), and Lexus as we know tends to mix-and-match technolgies or parts of them from model-to-model in their lineup -- making it really confusing for some of us (e.g. AFS being removed from 2013 RX, but still in some other models). MBZ on the other hand seems to pull technology more rapidly and consistently forward across models, and even upgrades the same gen of a particular model between MYs. My 2013 SLK will be the 2nd year of production in the 3rd gen of the convertible, but I find it very interesting that in the 2013's they added for no additional charge to their optional "Distronic Plus with Pre-Safe Brake" package (sorta like "PCS" in our Lexus world, except MBZ includes full brake stop capability), what we'd call BSM and Lane Keeping Assist. No additional charge over the 2012 -- wow! I think this demonstrates an interesting philiosophilcal difference between brands, and it makes me wonder to what degree MBZ brings enhancements to other things (like voice control?) along the way. More on all that later when I have a little practical experience with "the competition" and can get my act together a bit more.
So I don't end with a complete bummer, the one part of voice commands/Nav that really is far superior in my 2013 compared to my 2006 is the Nav Lady's ability to pronounce street names. Here in SoCal, we have quite a mix of english, spanish and other not-so-easy-to-say city and street names. She is amazingly good at SAYING the right thing, or close to it, the majority of the time, so I let her speak to me most of the time. Now, if she could understand as well as she talks, we could have a 2-way conversation.
Old 02-18-13, 10:14 AM
BertL

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I had to add my 2 cents worth. Although yours has more options than ours, I would agree will ALL of your comments that apply to our 2013. (well maybe except the sunglasses holder, but I don't wear them. )We also, have had NO issues, and nothing to fix or adjust in the first 5K miles. Yep, there are still 1 or 2 things I would like to tweak, but ALL of the important things one might look for (appearance, handling, comfort, utility, materials, size, reliability, and the fit and finish) seem to come together to make it an incredibly sound car. AND ..... as much as we like it as a daily driver (a LOT), it is especially good on road trips!
Thanks Woody. That makes 3!
Old 02-19-13, 09:41 AM
SiriusXM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there-

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our customer service department. In the future, if you have any questions, or concerns, please feel free to email us at sxm_help@siriusxm.com, so we can help.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team