RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

30,000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 08:15 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by billy44bo

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Thanks Billy44bo
Old 06-21-16, 01:48 PM
suevan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2013 RX350 to Northside Lexus Houston tx with 28,000 miles and was told I needed "Injector Flush and Clean Throttle Body" for $308.11. I was told it was "factory recommended". After reading the forum and checking the Lexus manual I did not have it done. Have talked with Lexus Corporate and they said "You don't need it". I asked why they were ok with their dealerships recommending such maintenance when it is - according to the Factory - not needed. They didn't care if their dealerships are cheating people and I saw no remorse. I will be very leery of any recommended maintenance that isn't in my manual. Before that visit they recommended a wheel alignment. Now I wonder if that wasn't a scam as well. I also checked with a friend who is a mechanic and he said a fuel additive would work just as well. If the engine wasn't having a problem and was running fine, there was NO NEED for an injector flush and clean throttle body. He said they are just trying to get more $. Why can't people just be honest?
Old 06-21-16, 02:23 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

They want to make more money and some of these services do extend the life and driving quality of the vehicle, but you have to pay for them. Lexus only cares that your vehicle lasts long enough to still be running when the warranty runs out.
A large bottle of Techron Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank works very well.
You may have actually needed an alignment. Your vehicle is 3 years old and stuff happens. You may have some uneven tire wear the techs at the dealer interpreted to mean your alignment is off. You should have your mechanic friend look at the tires.
Old 06-22-16, 06:11 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

I consistently get very good service from my local Toyota dealer at less than half the Lexus quoted price....I got the complete 20k service for $84 vs the Lexus $184 price, and the 30k service
for just over $200 vs the $473 Lexus price.

One hint: I never use the words "30k service," I simply specify everything required from my
Lexus manual, e.g. oil change, cabin air filter, check this and that, re-torque bolts, etc.
I couldn't be happier...plus my closest Lexus dealer is three hours away.

The most important thing, of course, is that thus far (fingers crossed) so far I haven't
needed anything other than routine maintenance.
Old 04-06-17, 07:40 AM
HDD
Driver School Candidate

Default 30000 mile service

Hello,
I own a 2013 RX350 which is due for a 30000 mile service. I was quoted $412 + tax for the scheduled service which includes oil change, brake fluid flush, engine and cabin air filter, battery for key fob, the rest being inspection. My question is is it worth to get the service done at the dealer or can I go to a local Toyota dealer to get the essential service like the brake fluid, oil change and engine filter at probably reasonable rate without voiding my warranty ? Appreciate all the feedback . Thank you.
Old 04-06-17, 08:04 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Obtain the list from the Lexus dealership [can also be found from Lexus, or the right manual] what are the essential services, recommended services (based on driving conditions) and dealer suggested service items in the 30K service.

As long as you get the essential services done at a reputable shop with specified or better materials under supervision of a certified mechanic [I doubt if a certified mechanic ever does regular maintenance] and document it you should be fine.

Humor: If you get service/parts from Toyota and not Lexus, you should feel comfortable that you drive a Toyota.

Salim
Old 04-06-17, 05:38 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Every 10,000 miles I ask for an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus or Toyota dealership. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor.
Old 04-06-17, 05:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

If $$ is an issue, doing it by yourself is an option. But your time is money too. In my working days I charged 250.00 an hour minimum 2 hours. If I had to travel out of town, on top of that T&L is charged extra. I always let dealer service my vehicle during warranty period. Ounce of prevention is worth more than pound of remedy.
Old 05-15-17, 09:28 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nearing 30K Maintenance Items

Getting ready to do the various items necessary at the 30 K mileage mark on my 2013 RX350. I do not have the user manual handy. Is brake fluid (flush /replace) and rear differential fluid (replace) things that should be done? Would it be preferable to change the brake fluid when I replace the brake pads?

Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 05-15-17, 11:24 AM
Clutchless

Now is a good time to replace the brake fluid. If you want to replace the rear diff fluid, do it. It is an easy 20 minute do it yourself project. Get some Mobil 1 75w90 gear lube. Look here for instructions http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...fications.html
Old 05-23-17, 09:46 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Also I bought my RX used so where do I get info on what services are required and when? I wasn't told anything when I bought it.
All you need to know is in the manual. The maintenance section will tell you which services are required and when, either by mileage or by months. I generally do not take my vehicle to a dealer for any mileage-based service, such as "30,000 mile service," because my experience is that these dealer services often include unnecessary items. Instead, I keep up with the recommended maintenance schedule, and take the vehicle to a reputable service facility for any specific items in the maintenance schedule that I can't, or prefer not to, perform myself.
Old 05-23-17, 10:44 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Dealer rates are high, but they can not force any service on the owner. They may try to oversell, but the work order is what the customer requires/agrees_to .. which can even be less than what the manufacturer recommends.

Salim
Old 09-29-17, 10:46 AM
andersonrm
Driver School Candidate

Default too expensive

can i get my 30000 mile service for cheaper somewhere other than lexus and get the same quality service
Old 09-29-17, 11:27 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

just get the oil change and replace the brake fluid.

come home

order air filter and cabin air filter from amazon and replace them yourself. No tools required.
if it makes you feel better, put in a bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner from Amazon and feel the placebo effect of clean fuel injectors.
give your car a new coat of wax while you are at it.

You just saved about $300.........
Old 09-29-17, 12:15 PM
Clutchless

Or go to an independent import repair shop who will do all this for a lot less than a dealer. Go to the mechanics files hosted by the NPR Car Talk radio show guys to find shops recommended by listeners in your area https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile service?